• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What made you buy/build an XJ?

thechief86

NAXJA Forum User
SO i saw a similar thread on the FSJ forum, and thought to myself, it would be a good topic for the XJ croud as well. it's always nice to know where people come from, and how they really feel about what they're driving/wheeling.

i'll go first:
after 3 years of building and breaking hondas for the 8th mile track, i went 'muddin' with a friend who had a 2wd xj with a limited slip in the rear. he had put some camaro air shocks in the rear to make room for some 31x10.5 buckshots (just in the back, with stock street tires in front), and he could go anywhere he wanted to. i was following him in a 1991 honda civic 4door, and believe it or not, it did really well! i had put some cooper all-terrain tires on it, and had raised up the aftermarket coilovers to about a 3" lift, because i had kinda gotten into offroad rally racing, and the little hondas were cheap. after going offroad with my buddy, i was hooked. i went wheelin in that honda several times, and finally sold it. later i did the same thing with a saturn SL1 for a few months, but kept getting it stuck, go figure. so when the local pawn shop had 2 cj's out front, i couldn't help but be interested. one was an 83 cj7 levi edition, with a powder blue paintjob, denim levi's seats, a 6" lift and 35's. holy cow, it was beautiful. the other was a primered black 74 cj5 with a 2" addaleaf and some 32's, swapped in captain's chairs from a ford van, and black duct tape holding the top together in several places. the blue one was 5 grand, so i immediately forgot about it, but became attracted to the primered cj, which was 2 grand. so i sold my saturn that i had bought for $200 to some tard for $800, and went to the pawn shop to see if i could make a down payment and then make payments each week till i owned it. they let me do this, happily, because they wanted this pile off of their lot. 3 weeks later, i had paid all but $500 of the full price for it, and had been lightly wheeling it and just playing around in the woods a little, and the transmission lost 2nd gear. 2nd gear is a big deal on a 3 spd, so i went and asked them if i could have a couple of weeks without payments to get it fixed. they said no, promptly told me they were repossessing it, and took it away from me, and i got to walk 23 miles home. i was pissed. so for a few months after that, i was without my own car, and got to borrow my grandparents van-which was cool but drank gas like crazy.
then one day, this girl in my jujitsu class mentions to me that she and her 2 mommies(lol) have an old jeep in their front yard that doesn't run. that night i went to her house, fixed the jeep and drove it home- and paid them $200!
this 87 cherokee chief was actually in great shape when i got it, except that the radio didn't work, and the clutch master cylinder had gone out! over the next 5 years or so, i put a lift kit, gears, locker, bumpers, a stereo, a winch and some 32's on it(for a while i was stock with 32's, then got the lift), along with lots and lots of body damage. i LOVED my XJ like a family pet(a really abused one, lol) and had lots of fun with it, and even had a couple of other xj's/mj's, but this one was my favorite. last year, right before i got married, some crap went down, and i had to sell her. i do know now, though, that i want to have XJ's as long as i live, for their cheapness over all, but also capability, durability, ease of parts finding, and just the room for camping in the back.
:lecture:life is good when you have an xj, even if it is a 20 yr old P.O.S. that you have to fix every couple of days.

I went offroading in my Subie and decided that the best thing would be to get a Jeep, I could learn about vehicles and use the junkyard to fix anything that broke and still be able to go offroad.

Turns out offroading is expensive and when your other half gets a new job with half the salary, you can't really do everything you wanted.

I had a friend who had one they just daily drove it though so i had no idea of its offroad capability. I love that XJ it had a ton of miles on it and all they ever did was change the oil and put tires on it. Well one day on my way to work I saw one on the side of the road pulled over and gave the guy an offer. Man what a POS it was floor was rotted through so bad that when you hit a bump the drivers side seat would bounce up and down. So i fixed it up and beat the hell out of it. Then one day it was nasty out and I lived about an hour from were I worked the boss needed me to stay late but I didnt want to because the weather was getting bad well 9 o'clock rolls around and the boss calls the office and says you should head home its getting real bad. So i packed up and left drove 30 miles per hour for about 40 miles on ice. Then lost control and rolled the jeep. I sold it for parts and swore I would get another jeep well I bought another and It still to this day is probably my favorite vehicle I have ever owned and it all started with that pile of crap that i rolled.

My cousin had an old CJ when I was a kid, we used to go all over in it. After a lot of other cars, I managed to get a CJ-5, I think it was titled as an 81 but it had parts from 79, 73, 75...guess we all know that story. It had been rolled bad and I guess the guy didnt have enough money to pay the shop, so he signed over the title and they sold it to me for maybe $1500? I dont really remember. I probably got ripped off but I loved it enough that I didnt care. I fixed it up just enough to keep driving it on the road, and beat the heck out of it for years. It was ugly as sin and smelled terrible but it would keep going through everything.

Finally it started to have problems bigger than my wallet, so I sold it for about three times what I paid for it (!) and got a Honda CRX. That was a super fun car but it had no room, and lets not talk about snow. Couple of years later, our other car got rear-ended so bad that the trunk was in the rear seat. I walked off the distance and the trunk would have been in my brain in the CRX. We were talking about having kids, so I knew the CRX was gonna have to go anyway, but this kinda clarified it for me. I knew I needed something I could haul a family in, but I didn't want to get some hulk of overblown metal mall-cruiser that wallowed around like a hippo on the highway. XJ's seemed the logical choice.

A few months later, September 99, I found the XJ I have now on a crazy special ($3000 under blue book) and I've had it ever since. Rockin vehicle, still love it. Breaks my heart that Jeep hasn't continued to make anything like this.

I've spent 6-7 years building/wheeling Wranglers. Wife got pregnant so I traded my last TJ for a Cherokee. Only wheeled it once, and thought I'd get out of wheeling. Wrong! I've had two XJ's and one MJ since then. Then I bought my current XJ thinking I would keep it around 31's and light duty wheeling, and now it's got long arms, 35's, lockers, etc...Still my DD though.

I used to wheel full size rigs up until 15 years ago. Decided I wanted back in to wheelin' but had had an IFS 4Runner at the time, that was too nice to do a SAS on then bash in the woods.

I knew that whatever I was going to buy was going to have solid axles but also had the need to be able to lock the vehicle, so no CJ, YJ, TJ for me. Really considered an EMB as I had one back in the day, but those things are getting harder to find, and I decided I wouldn't really want to wheel one because they're all classics now.

Once I finally decided it was going to be a jeep, I couldn't make up my mind between ZJ and XJ, finally after a lot of research, I ruled out the ZJ because of the Chrysler transmission.

I had always wanted a XJ but never had owned one, only driven them when friends were too drunk to drive. I knew they were cheap to get in to because the XJ just doesn't have any resale value, and I knew the platform was solid, and I could lock stuff in it.....just seemed to make sense that the XJ was for me. Not to mention other advantages like still being compact while having room for whatever you want/need to bring along, excellent aftermarket support, AW4, and a 4 liter I6 that has stood the test of time.

We had a 90 2dr laredo when I was a kid, and went wheeling all over ( we lived out in the boonies then, before Socal got completely built up). They ended up selling it in 95 or so because my brother kept getting carsick in the back. I begged them to keep the XJ, but they traded it in for a Chrysler Mini-van.

Flash forward to high school, I ended up with a S-15 Jimmy 4x4. Good little truck, but no solid axle. I was gathering parts for a SAS (a D30 out of a derelict XJ at that) when the motor went on the S-15. Put a new motor in, the trans went a few months later. Bought the T/A, and ended up donating the S-15.

5 years or so after that, was working construction, and didnt want to ruin my car, I decided I needed a work vehicle. A buddy from HS had just gotten a new WRX and was over his 96XJ. Went over to his place, drank a couple beers, and paid him cash. DONT EVER DO THIS! The XJ needed some work, mostly just fixing all the ghetto rigging it had endured. Motor went a few months later, so I swapped a Mopar crate in. Rolled it a couple months after that.
Another member on here helped me find a stripped 87 2dr shell on CL, swapped everything over and here we are today!

My brother bought a '96 ZJ V8 in about 1998. I helped him move from Mississippi to Georgia and I drove it with a U-haul and loved every minute of driving it. I had a Grand Prix GTP at the time. This was back in 1999. Within a couple weeks I traded the GTP and my K-5 Blazer on a 1996 ZJ with the 4.0. Bought it with 43,000 on it. Still have it and it had 201,000 on it.

In May of 2000 my girlfriend (now wife) was driving the ZJ and was rearended. Just about totalled it, but I was able to get enough from the insurance settlement to repair the ZJ and buy a beater truck. I found a 1985, 2 door, 5 Speed with the 2.8 V6 and 99,000 miles. Paid $2000 cash and drove her home. Truck never gave me a lick of problem. Eventually did a 3" lift and 31's and that was about it. She finally gave up in about 2004 and I parked her. Bought a 1990 2 door automatic that wasn't running for about $1000. Got it running, but rough and sold it almost immediately for $1200.

Replaced that 1990 with a 1995 ZJ that I picked up for $3000. Ran great, had the 5.2 L V8 in it. Great little runner. So, at this point, I had no off-road Jeep and just the two ZJ's. Well, still had the '85, but it wasn't running. Couldn't bring myself to junk it.

In the meantime, bought a 2004 WJ for my wife and the '96 sat as my "second" car while I drove the '95 most of the time. Over the course of one full year, I actually only put in 8 tanks of gas int he '96!!

In May of '09 I finally sold the '85 to the PNP for $175. Then sold the '94 ZJ for $800. Shortly thereafter I got the 2001 Anniversary XJ that I drive now. Started right in on mods and have done a lift, bumpers, rock rails, an 8.8 and a front axle HP swap, and got 4.10s under it.

But...from history sake...my family never had trucks, we never did outdoorsy things so it wasn't in my blood. Actually the first consideration I had to an SUV was in 1996 when I passed on a RHD Scout for $500.

Glad Jeep got under my skin though. Love everything about the hobby and habit!

parents bought a 92 laredo brand new when i was a kid. had it for almost 10 years. so when time came for me to get a car i picked my XJ.

and i blame building and wheeling it on forums like this

I've always been into offroading since I was old enough to drive a 4-wheeler...

I had a 2000 Ford Ranger extended cab with 33s and the torsion bars turned up all the way and shackles in the back. Everytime I went offroad I got highcentered on the frame and couldn't move. A 4" lift for those trucks is almost 2 grand. So instead of spending 2k on the truck I just sold it, bought the XJ off ebay for 800 bucks and started building... I love that thing!

It doesn't have doors anymore, no carpet... nothing but seats and a dash. There's not a straight panel on it and I still drive it to pick up the groceries. :)

My parents had an 86 2wd carbed V6 when I got my license. It was the first vechicle I drove. I was allowed to use it as long as my Mom didn't need it, so being a Jeep I'd take it out and have fun in the mud in it. They picked up a 91 4wd Laredo (which I will hopefully be buying in Dec) so I could have a vechicle of my own. The motor was getting expensive to keep repairing and in 1995 I traded it in on my YJ. The YJ was my dream vechicle at the time, so that's what I looked for. Still have it and still wheel the piss out of it.

Fast forward several years or a decade...I got myself a job that involved quite a bit of travel and needed something other then a built YJ to drive. For the 11 years I had been driving the YJ, I always wanted another XJ.

When I found one that was 4WD, I jumped on it. Third owner and bone stock. In the four yrs I've had it (she needs a name btw if someone were to come up with something good) she's gone from stock to a 6.5" lift and 33's and so many more plans. Jeeps are never finished.

i was fifteen the first time i drove a jeep. it was the blizzard of 93. my uncle came over to deliver some supplies in his 85 cj-7 and let me drive it to clear the driveway. i was hooked. my dad bought a new base model 4cyl. 5 speed yj as soon as the snow melted. when summertime rolled around i got my license and confescated the yj. it was awesome. i got my first jeep when i was 20. it was an 85 cj-7 with an amc 360 4" lift and 33's. i loved it. when i was 25 i married my wife and bought her a 95 v-8 zj. we traded it on a 2003 mini cooper s (loved that car too!). i traded the cj for a 70 ford pickup (still regret that one!). in july of 2005 my wife was pregnant with our oldest son and we traded the mini for a 2001 xj sport. in january of 2007 we bought my 2001 xj sport. it had 4.5" of lift, a tjm bumper with a ramsey winch, and a yakima roof basket with the spare mounted in it. in august of 2009 we sold my wife's xj to get rid of a payment and shared a vehicle for a while. in dec of 2009 i bought my latest xj. a 1991 2 dr laredo. aka, jee. all the "p"s were/are missing. love it too.:guitar:

i was fifteen the first time i drove a jeep. it was the blizzard of 93. my uncle came over to deliver some supplies in his 85 cj-7 and let me drive it to clear the driveway. i was hooked. my dad bought a new base model 4cyl. 5 speed yj as soon as the snow melted. when summertime rolled around i got my license and confescated the yj. it was awesome. i got my first jeep when i was 20. it was an 85 cj-7 with an amc 360 4" lift and 33's. i loved it. when i was 25 i married my wife and bought her a 95 v-8 zj. we traded it on a 2003 mini cooper s (loved that car too!). i traded the cj for a 70 ford pickup (still regret that one!). in july of 2005 my wife was pregnant with our oldest son and we traded the mini for a 2001 xj sport. in january of 2007 we bought my 2001 xj sport. it had 4.5" of lift, a tjm bumper with a ramsey winch, and a yakima roof basket with the spare mounted in it. in august of 2009 we sold my wife's xj to get rid of a payment and shared a vehicle for a while. in dec of 2009 i bought my latest xj. a 1991 2 dr laredo. aka, jee. all the "p"s were/are missing. love it too.:guitar:

Blizzard in Georgia?

When we had our third son, the wife said the CJ had to go, so in came the XJ affliction.

my72cj-5.jpg

i was out in iraq and my old man called me and told me that he was getting rid of old blue (my 88) and asked if i wanted her. well this was like a month into 7 out in the sand box, i was bored and was making butt loads money.

i started researching the history, the pro the cons anything and everything about the XJ. big dreams of a 4 in lift and 33s yadda yadda

i come home and to get the little blue jeep that could (and does) and my dad had it painted, hand polished the rims, the interior was all clean, i was blown away. there was no way i could abuse this beautiful jeep.

she came home with me and after about 2 months the itch came back. this is where i found my 99 and it had been lifted and geared and was pretty much ready to roll.
in went a locker in the front because i wanted to go farther. then new rubber, cromos in the nose and then the full width came.......................it goes on and on......

my XJ love all comes from a little blue jeep my dad gave me.

when i was almost of driving age, Fast and the Furious came out... and being hooked on racing games, i ended up buying a 93 Mazda MX6 (w/2.5l V6). It was a lil import, that wasn't too common, and i've always liked doing things different than the rest. (plus it would beat Honda's, lol) after driving it my sophmore/junior year of high school, and getting a warning, ticket, and wreck (that was repairable) i decided i needed something "slower" and more practical for an active high school student.
Countless hours spent on autotrader and cars.com, looking through all types of vehicles that were in my "price range"... i finally decided on a late model Jeep Cherokee. And although the jeep would be more practical, it wasn't much slower than the Mazda, lol... anyways, i had an older friend who has a dodge ram charger on 38 TSL and tons, who took me offroading for my first time, and i thought it was awesome! also went on a trip with him in his YJ on 33s... this was while i was driving the Mazda, which may have had an influence on me looking for a Jeep...

Halfway through my Senior year, i found a few late model XJs in Atlanta, and went out to find one on my Christmas break... Ended up with my 2000 XJ sport, that has been my DD ever since. within 2 months of purchasing it, the 0331 head decided to crack! and thus began my internet researching of Cherokee's... ended up reading stuff on Naxja, found it very useful... and haven't left here yet :)

...come Jan. 11, i will have had my XJ 4 years, and it has been a great vehicle. other than the head cracking, i've only done routine maintenance to it; such as, when the 8.25 needs shoes, you squeeze another year out of them, and swap in an 8.8... when leaf spring bushings and control arm bushings make noise and ride rough, you install a lift... stock tires wear out, install bigger Mud tires...

anywho, i bought my xj to be a more practical/versatile vehicle... and i modified it because i've always enjoyed working on vehicles, and building stuff... and just doing something different than the next guy...

ive always loved fourwheeling ever since i was little and one time when i was little i saw a big lifted cherokee and i knew thats what i wanted to own and wheel because jeep is the ultimate 4x4!

Wheeling was not exactly new to me, but I bought a 2002 Liberty Renegade at the Jeep when they first came out because I thought they were intriguing and came with a 5,000 lb tow rating. The Jeep lot had some new 2001 XJs but their prices seemed too high in comparison of the decked out $25K Liberty I had my eyes on. Back then, I did not know the difference between SFA and IFS, and I wrongly assumed I could wheel the Liberty anywhere I wanted. If I could only turn the clock back!

I modded and wheeled my Libby KJ for two years, then traded it for a Grand Cherokee WJ for more passenger room. A year later I sold the WJ and quickly missed owning a Jeep to wheel, tow, and haul my crap. I then learned about the capability and affordability of the venerable XJ, and loved the look of a modified Cherokee. I searched for months before getting lucky and finding a beautiful '99 Sport, which I quickly lifted, wheeled, and built a bond with.

The rest is history, I suppose. I gave the first XJ to my kid for graduation (to which he sold and bought the Green Machine) then found myslef without a Jeep for the second time in as many years. I then knew exactly what to look for and found a '99 Classic several months later. The Frog, as it is known on the Sierra Chapter, brings me peace, joy, and happiness.

Last edited:
Back