• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What kind of gas milage are you gettin

What kind of milage do you get?

• Total voters
Must be doin somethin right cause i have recorded 26 mpg over Hwy 50 to 550 to 285 (from Delta, CO to Golden, CO) and 20 over I-70 (same destination), and i regularly get between 18 and 20 in town *stock* The air tube and synthetic havn't really done a whole lot. We'll see when the lift goes on.

I haven't gone thru and read all of the post in this thread so excuse me if this has been brought up before, but when calculating you mileage do you account for your bigger tires if you haven't fixed your speedo to record the correct speed and mileage? What I mean is my spedo is 10% off what it should be due to the 31's and I usually place that fact out of my mind when I'm thinking how many miles I drove and what kind of mileage I've gotten so when I'm averaging 14-16 mpg I'm actually getting 15.4-17.6 mpg.
Just a thought, and yes I'm that lazy to have not fixed my speedo yet.

99 4.0 aw4....bone stock. Get about 14-15mpg around town...ran the a/c alot this time around and actually got 17mpg in all city driving....not quite sure how that worked. Goin down the highway at 75-85mpg i can get about 18.

2001 XJ Limited, 4.5", 265x75's TA/KO's (32x11.50), with stock 3.55's. I usually get around 12 mpg. I have an ARB bumper and a full length roof rack and im sure those featherweights dont help the mpg.

best i've measured was 24.7 mpg on the way from gary IN to grand rapids MI a couple weeks ago. that's with a 4.0, aw4, 3.54 gears, 30x9.50r15s, and a 3" lift. i've also got a rusty's intake with K&N4.5x5 filter and i'm running synthetic oil. just recently replaced all fluids/did full tune up, 170k on an '87 xj. since doing that, my lowest mileage was 17.5 and it averages around 19 or slightly higher :D

IH8RDS said:
10.3 in the city.
AW4/ 355/31" tires/Roofrack with tire/ ARB bullbar with W8000
Something wrong! I dont have a lead foot. I guess time for a tuneup and gears.
I went 185 miles on 17.8 Gallons

highlighted your problem there, but the tune up and gears are a good idea too.

One question regarding the speedo gear change. I haven't changed out my speedo gear either, and i'm runnin a 4.5" lift, 265x75x16 (32's) BFG all terrains with the stock 3.55 gears. How can I get a more accurate reading of my actual MPG? I have been figuring up my MPG's using the tripmeter and i'm guessing thats wrong. I'm averaging 12-13 mpg, and that just doesnt seem right. Any advice would be great.

do it based on your odometer readings. Not the trip meter readings. What I mean is next time you fill up, write down the milage on the odometer, and keep it somewhere you'll remember it...like the glove box or something. Then the next time you fill up again, write down the odometer reading again. Take that number and subract the pervious number (EX 1st fill up read 62,550 and 2nd fill up read 62,850). Take the difference b/w the two numbers (in this case it's 300 miles) and divide the number of gallons you put in (we'll say 17 gallons). SO 300/17 =17.6453625975 blah blah blah. So if this were you, you'd be getting 17.6mpg roughly......boy i wish i could see those numbers...lol

^hell I've got a small note pad and pen taht stay in the glovebox for jsut that...I get ~17mpg but I do about 20 on the interstate

Funny you should ask, I just started checking it last week out of curiosity. The first tank I got 22mpg and the last one I got 20.5mpg. Still waiting to see what this on e will yield.
91 XJ 4.0/5spd 3" lift, 235/70/15, stock gears
Looks like I'll be loosing mileage when I upgrade the wheels and tires. Oh well, only paid $300 for this Jeep anyway so I guess I can afford a little more gas...

My daily driver is a 2 wheel drive/4 banger/manual transmission XJ with no frills. I try to feather the pedal. I just checked my mileage last week and got 25.46mpg out of it. Yay!

And if I loose my fat rump, I'm sure I'd get better mileage

However, I'm addicted to oreos....help!

I just put 31x10.5x15 tires on my cherokee and with the gas prices I have not filled upin a couple of weeks. However in July with 235's I drove to NJ for a wedding in my 97 Country, which is about 360 miles I had to fill up one time after 320 miles. Upon fill up I had 1/4th of a tank left. So 3/4th of 20 gallons is 15 gallons divide that by 320 miles gives me 21.3 miles per gallon. I am sure now with 31 inch tires it is going to be less. I am just to afraid to see the difference. I remember when I had my 87' Chevy full size pickup and I ad 33x12.5x15 I got about 12 miles per gallon and that was with a 4.3 ltr. My work truck a 2005 2500hd with 6.0 litre gets 12.4 mpg, Thank God Cingular Wireless pays that bill. <><

uttermost said:
which is about 360 miles I had to fill up one time after 320 miles. Upon fill up I had 1/4th of a tank left. So 3/4th of 20 gallons is 15 gallons divide that by 320 miles gives me 21.3 miles per gallon. I am sure now with 31 inch tires it is going to be less. I am just to afraid to see the difference. I remember when I had my 87' Chevy full size pickup and I ad 33x12.5x15 I got about 12 miles per gallon and that was with a 4.3 ltr. My work truck a 2005 2500hd with 6.0 litre gets 12.4 mpg, Thank God Cingular Wireless pays that bill. <><
No! How many gallons did you actually put in after travelling 320 miles? You don't calcualte it based on the gauge...ever. You start with a full tank, travel a certain distance, and refill the tank - that's it. Distance traveled / gallons filled = miles per gallon.

Is your speedometer corrected for those tires? If not, that will also effect your calculations.

I have a 95 XJ 2door 5 speed with 6.5 inch lift. Dana 30/35 front and rear geared at 3.07 ugh.... I am rolling on 33x12.5xR15. Off the line its a dog but I can do 70 mph on the highway at only 1875 RPM in 5th gear hahaha. But I float around the 13-14 mpg mark because I have to shift gears at such a high rpm to keep my power or I bog. I am planning on moving up to 37's in the future and of course with the axle and gear ratio upgrades. Anyone run 37's? If so what gear ratio do you have and hows your gas mileage?

I think I'm only getting around 10 with my 89 XJ, 3" lift and 31's. I don't know what it is, I drive like a granny, and I just put a new O2 sensor in and put in a new, non leaky fuel injector. This is really pissing me off.

Well before the grill guard and the roof rack I would get about 17 mpg city on 31/10.5s but now I'm gettin about 12-15 city and almost 19-21 on the hwy..... This all depends on what kind of mood im in some days I drive like a gradmother on her way to church other days are more like a 16 year old teen getting road head....

Back