• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is this worth?

willam

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 2001 XJ sport that I've given up on fixing. I need a rough ballpark on what to ask for this POS as I need it gone from my driveway soon.

Here's the facts:

2001 XJ Sport, 4.0 w/Auto. Many new parts, tow hitch, decent body with good condition interior.

It will not run correctly, heat soak's badly, constant misfire problems etc...

Clean title, does run.

Ballpark figure for a quick sale? Located in central Pa.

"Worth" is really hard to define. Its worth whatever someone will pay you for it.

A poorly running 10 year old Cherokee is not going to go for much. Especially a 2001 - the heads crack on them all the time. A 99 would actually be worth more.

I'd say $2k would be on the high side.

If you listed it here, you would get offers around $1k to $1.5k

Sounds a lot like the way my 01 ran when I bought it...the owner was told it was a popped head gasket, but it turned out to have been run so hot the #2 piston scored the cylinder wall, wasting the engine...just FYI, the body and interior was in good shape and the tires were shot..I paid 1200...
Rich
shoot a couple pics of it to me at [email protected] . I might be interested.

PMed, heat soak can be taken care of, but if it was bad enough it may have already done the damage.

Re: What is this worth?-TRY THIS!!!

So I had to do something to help my xj out....the heat soak was driving me nuts. I decided to to put a thermostatic cooling sensor (hayden part#3647) that will stay on after ignition is shut off. This sensor is adjustable and can be set at different tempatures to shut off. So far this has worked very well. :guitar:ZERO misfires since:guitar: Same concept as the timer on fan this is just off of the actual tempature. Takes the guess work out of how long to keep on.
The instructions are simple to follow and the hardest part was identifying he ac clutch wire. The single one below the clutch.

Heat soak Fix pictures by chapsXJ - Photobucket

I hope this helps out.

Last edited:
Whatever you do, if you list it for sale, calling it a POS usually doesn't help with the sale process:doh:

Back