• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What did you do to your XJ today

Nothing yet but I'm about to go get some beer and get shit done!
1466531c941331da3f8c260166e101f2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Sweet! I know an awesome alignment shop near you.
Which one? My steering is ****ed and STILL pulls hard to the right after new arms, track bar, stabalizer, tie rod, tie rod ends. The only thing I haven't done is ball joints or wheel bearings. There's no excessive play in the wheel so I ruled them out. I'm about out of ideas here.

Which one? My steering is ****ed and STILL pulls hard to the right after new arms, track bar, stabalizer, tie rod, tie rod ends. The only thing I haven't done is ball joints or wheel bearings. There's no excessive play in the wheel so I ruled them out. I'm about out of ideas here.

Sent you a PM.

Will. The original 90amp alternator final froze up. I got everything pulled out to a fit a 160 amp. I'm waiting on the new alternator to show up to see how much grinding is need. Still working on upgrading the wiring

This did give me the chance to finally install the engine mount brackets lol

Not today, yesterday we drove to long beach Washington. The jeep did pretty good but did get to about 240 on the hills through 26. My aux fan is busted so that may have something to do with it. I'm thinking of just doing dual e fans.
9f3f0a74470441b7476762912988ae58.jpg

Picked up my new to me built D30 from fellow :NAXJA: member Josh ealier this week. Removed my existing axle last night and set the replacement in with the springs. Gave it a fresh coat of black sticky stuff. I realized the wheel studs were much shorter than my originals so I swapped them out. I appreciate the removed dust shields from the new axle. I couldn't get the longer studs out of the original until I moved the hubs out about a quarter inch. Not easy pulling 16 year old rusted original hubs from the axle out of the vehicle. I could have bought new but it was a great practice run RR all the stuff that can brake on the trail.

Noticed the brake pads had worn into the knuckles. Tomorrow I will weld them up and grind them flat. If I feel like it after work.
9675C03B-33AC-4004-B0F8-360CE800E1C2_zpsqhjcrct9.jpg

E8E74C04-8E9F-4509-A21F-5D80514AB8F9_zpsaun7qc6q.jpg

9675C03B-33AC-4004-B0F8-360CE800E1C2_zpsqhjcrct9.jpg

a>

Found a sweet deal on a pair of axles. Specs.
D30: warn hub kit/eaton E-locker/4.56/axle tube seals/lca skids/ruffstuff diff cover.
D44: disk brakes/eaton E-locker/4.56/ubolt yoke.
Don't know about the axle shafts yet until I do the rebuild, but the d30 look to be aftermarket as the ears are made so full circle clips can be used, chromo? Who knows yet.
Have to rebuild/regear the d30 as the ring gear is chipped but both lockers look to be fine.

aaf44be865fb2e3c291bb6b27758e8a6.jpg

08188b60dfa0123dcb2f5cfb4007e9d5.jpg

70951c2f65b60cc17cebe1c2d28a5959.jpg

17ac1b77fc430c01c0edcc3828c01341.jpg

Last edited:
Finished the HP Dana 30 install. Well, sort of, it's drive able again. Welded up the worn knuckles from the brake shoes. Passenger side was the worst. One of the caliper bolts stripped before it reached torque so off to Ace hardware for a 8 x 1.25mm Helicoil kit. Also picked up a 1/2" fine thread serrated flange lock nut for the Currie drivers side TRE flip. Goferit recommends the special nut. Removed the antilock brake sensor brackets. Removed the front drive shaft since the front is 4.56 and rear is 3.55 still. Plus I need to find the right u-bolt size for the front yoke. All in all the axle swap went smooth considering it was my first.

Took it for a test drive. Drives straight but the steering wheel is a little off. Planned on having it aligned anyway. Those Blackmagic brakes are amazing. Nice! Big shout out to Josh for the excellent hardware. Thanks dude! :yelclap:

6C3EDA23-7EE1-426A-9946-323837E10AA2_zpslche32i2.jpg
6C3EDA23-7EE1-426A-9946-323837E10AA2_zpslche32i2.jpg

B4390E5B-A36C-46C1-B1D9-31FADFA4C12D_zpspl9yk3d2.jpg

On my way to work the front end was making a slight dragging noise. Thought it was a wheel bearing. Then suddenly both front wheels locked up and I skidded into a curb. Got loaded on a flatbed and dropped off at my house. :( It rolled easily up the flatbed and in my driveway drove forward and reverse no issues.

I started my 4/12s so no time to troubleshoot until Sunday. Bummer because my bike is only running on two cylinders as a coil went bad. :( again

Yikes - both wheels locked up? Were the brakes dragging and getting hot? Hot brakes could cause the calipers to seize if the fluid is old and has enough water in it to boil and expand. I can't think of anything else that would lock both tires.

I've had all day to think through possibilities. Had about 10 mins on my lunch break to quickly check things out. Lifted D wheel off the ground and the wheel rotates exactly two full rotations then his a heavy resistance but continues to rotate. Repeated on passenger side with the same results. Pinion turns freely. Dummy me forgot to check the gear oil. It's low but not empty and clean as new. I doubt it would have seized in 2 miles. Brake fluid is fairly new from when I put the lift on. My number one theory is that I pushed the caliber pistons in which in turn flooded the reservoir. I forgot to go back and pull some oil out. Sometimes the proportion valve can get stuck when pushing fluids backwards. Never had a problem before with pushing backwards on the calipers. Or, the wiper seal inverted in the master. Brake may have dragged slightly enough to heat, expand and no where to go except to the other calipers. When I tapped the brake to slow it tipped it into locking up.

I also read up on different years had different rotors and hubs. Everything was used from the new axle except for my calipers. It should be okay.

All in all the symptoms don't point to one smoking gun. I love working through the strange problems. :)

Degreased control arms, tie-rod and drag link to prep for repaint. Repainted the front bumper. Last weekend I hit the front end, Dana 30, knuckles, dust shields and sway bar mount with chassis saver. Getting everything cleaned up and painted for a new Old Man Emu 2.5" suspension install this weekend.

Damn put YJ soft lines my 88 with 2"Homebrew lift and new clappers but the brakes got worse. So of course they used to be spongy so I figured they'd get better with new stuff.... Nope I'm fairly certain the boosters shot so I'm headed to town to find flexible master lines for the 01 WJ booster and master I have for or Grand that is no longer with us. What else should I prepare for? All I've read should be straightforward I just like going prepared.

Sent from my Arse using Tapatalk
213dbf2abca3819865f8ef319fceaa3e.jpg

Last edited:
All in all the symptoms don't point to one smoking gun. I love working through the strange problems. :)

Greenz is too good of a person to throw me under the bus, but in the interest of full disclosure I need to update the story. The reason his front axle locked up is because I sold him a pile of crap. It hurts to say, and I am embarrassed and ashamed that it happened, but it is still true. The bearings, gears, and ARB are trashed. I assumed they were ok because I had it totally reworked (bearings, seals, pressure fitting in the ARB) about 8k miles ago and was driving it 200 miles per week without issue. I was too focused on my new D44 install and work, I didn't think to open the cover on the axle because I was certain everything was perfect. I was wrong.

Darryl and I talked tonight and I think we sorted it out to his satisfaction. I hope that he'll share his side of the story, if nothing else it's a cautionary tale.

I can't apologize enough to Greenz and appreciate how understanding he has been.

Greenz is too good of a person to throw me under the bus, but in the interest of full disclosure I need to update the story. The reason his front axle locked up is because I sold him a pile of crap. It hurts to say, and I am embarrassed and ashamed that it happened, but it is still true. The bearings, gears, and ARB are trashed. I assumed they were ok because I had it totally reworked (bearings, seals, pressure fitting in the ARB) about 8k miles ago and was driving it 200 miles per week without issue. I was too focused on my new D44 install and work, I didn't think to open the cover on the axle because I was certain everything was perfect. I was wrong.

Darryl and I talked tonight and I think we sorted it out to his satisfaction. I hope that he'll share his side of the story, if nothing else it's a cautionary tale.

I can't apologize enough to Greenz and appreciate how understanding he has been.

Crap happens. As long as both parties are understanding and willing to work out a issue. I see nothing wrong. It's a honest mistake

Last edited:
Back