• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Western Trek (July 2007)

DaJudge said:
Can you give us some specs? I am interested in the lift you chose axles, tire size, etc. Just wondering what you picked for the 'epedition' rig.

As far as specs....it ended up turning out a little taller than I originally planned (I tried to use the stock shackles, but that didn't work out......I will probably drop it down another 3/4" or 1" in the near future).

32x11.5x15 Maxxis Bighorns
Approx 5" lift (RE springs, JKS arms)
HP D30 Swapped in with 4.56 and an Aussie
8.25 with 4.56, a NoSlip and ZJ Discs
Kevin's Trackbar Conversion
SYE & 2Lo
Alloy USA Shafts
Currie Steering
OME Shocks
C4x4 Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier
Protofab Bumper
Warn M8000

etc ..... etc ......

I had quite a few of those parts laying around from my 92 XJ.......so I didn't have to buy all of that stuff at once ;)

That is very similar to mine.

I ended up with about 5" of lift as well. It was a compromise because I really wanted to use BOR's leafs and the shortest ones he sells are 4", combined with the TNT shackles I ended up with 5". So far it has worked well.

Are you going to scrap the '92 or keep it for the rocks?

EDIT: It looks good by the way!

randy, your rig looks great.
i will post a recent picture of my 'expedition rig'

...what you have done in the past few months with your rig is pretty much the lifetime goal for mine, with a few differences here and there...

kndrewa said:
p.s. any pictures of the swing out?

and what rear leafs are they in particular?

same c4x4 I used to have on my 92 before I took it off....here's a pic with my old tires

IMG_3287.JPG

anything in particular you wanted to see about it?

RE 4.5" leafs. planned on using the stock shackles, but that didn't work out, so I stole the RE shackles off my 92 for now. gonna change those out to MJ shackles once they get here. since I know I'm going to be carrying a lot of gear, I did want the back to sit a little higher than the front, too.

you set me up with what i wanted to see, or at least an approximation...

...i run 32" bfg mud terrains, and will probably run them again when these die.

i pretended i thought i could make a swing out carrier, but after researching, i think i had better just buy one. i am a beginer fabricator.. ..but consider myself mechanically inclined.

i wanted to see how much rear window real estate was taken by your carrier.

also:

i am curious why you couldnt run your stock shackles.. ..they were just too short to reach the rear spring eye?

thanks!

city life = parking tickets
tix.jpg

green acres = no parking tickets
blueflowers.jpg

i am satisfied with my height and the capabilities that come along with it; i am about as high as i can go without a SYE..

..but i would sure love to get rid of the 1.5 " blocks in the back, so thats why I asked about your springs/shackle situation.

as it is, I have aal from a pro comp 3 " lift.

as much as people downplay the lift, i have found the front control arms and coils provide a nice ride.

I have considered acos and 4 " springs to get a bit more height, but im not sure what that would do to me in terms of dw, which i have none of now.

my stock gears 3.55 are nice at highway speeds, as i am in the low end of my gear cruising at 70/75, and a drop of the pedal gives me the passing rpms i need; and still low enough for my 32s on the trail

Last edited:
kndrewa said:
my stock gears 3.55 are nice at highway speeds ... and still low enough for my 32s on the trail

my point is that i think you have done what i want to do, and i wanted to show you that im on my way.. ; )

..was not to try to show off or steal your thread, i cant wait for the trip reports!

Looks awesome Randy, cant wait to see pics from the trip!

Are you going to be sleeping in the XJ, camping, or hotels?

How about navigation?

I love everything you've done with the new rig and like your idea of not always trying to run the most extreme trails, and actually enjoy the sights when you wheel. It would be nice to put some local weekend "adventures" together that are less wheeling and more hiking, camping, maybe even geocaching. There are tons of neat places to go nearby, it may give those who can't make the trip to the offroad parks a chance to get more involved in NAXJA.

Prepmech said:
I love everything you've done with the new rig and like your idea of not always trying to run the most extreme trails, and actually enjoy the sights when you wheel. It would be nice to put some local weekend "adventures" together that are less wheeling and more hiking, camping, maybe even geocaching. There are tons of neat places to go nearby, it may give those who can't make the trip to the offroad parks a chance to get more involved in NAXJA.

I'm planning on a fall colors run down to Shawnee NF at the end of Oct or beginning of Nov.

Prepmech said:
Awesome! I went to school down there, lots of cool stuff to see. Count me in!

Fer shure.

I'd love to make that run.

The SIJA guys had a run down there last weekend. Looks like a great time. Nothing really super difficult and some beautiful scenery.

Hale

IntrepidXJ said:
leaving 1 week from today!

How's the prep coming? Xj done to your satisfaction?

DaJudge said:
How's the prep coming? Xj done to your satisfaction?

Prep is coming along.....of course it feels like everything has been left until the last minute, though :laugh:

XJ is working pretty well for me......there's a few more things I need to finish over the next couple nights and this weekend, but I should have no problems getting them done

hey randy when you get into town we should hook up get food drink say hi something

Back