• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Went to the strip

BlueCuda said:
So, will the truth come out? Will you post your slow ass time? Or will you only post a good time. Not to be a dick ;)

I set the bar low, my heavy ass jeep will be lucky to see a 16.00 even with the stroker. I am realistic in the fact its a heavy, non aerodynamic, station wagon with big heavy tires. :doh:
This man speaks the truth! :thumbup:

BBeach said:
Dont forget how far a 1/4 mile is too. Most street races shouldn't go past 60ish mph (just messing around kinda thing) whereas on the strip you'll be going a bit faster

Not my heep. 75 aint too much past 60ish. I'll have to stick to those 0 to 30 races.

BlueCuda said:
My Dream street XJ? 87-90 Waggy, grand cherokee AWD t-case, LS1, 4L60E. Everything as stock appearing on the outside as can be. Worst case scenario figure 100-200lbs over stock since the LS1 in aluminum. Should go mid-high 13s with a stock LS1. Converter, gears, cam etc could open up some very good ETs with the traction of AWD.

My other jeep dream is an FSJ Grand Waggy on a 3/4 ton cummins dodge frame. That would be one hell of a tow rig with the pimp style of the grand wagoneer :D.

I'm with you, the LS series motors are sweet. Light, powerfull, and good gas mileage. That's what I'd like, but what are the transfer case options? It'd be cool to get the engine/tranny/tc combo complete and just drop it in, but I don't know what's out there.

No, I have one of those. I am already playing the custom game on my Barracuda motor. I need something that comes with true bolt on ready to rock parts like an LS1 lol.

srimes said:
Not my heep. 75 aint too much past 60ish. I'll have to stick to those 0 to 30 races.
Once my jeep started geting slower i relied on 30-70 runs with friends, i'd downshift to first (auto) and they'd go to second. Of course i was the only one who knew the difference at the time. :lecture:

Hey, good news guys... car show april 12th, dyno pulls 3 for $50 :D This'll come in handy in that for all those people flamin me for my exhaust set up. Then hopefully soon thereafter I can hit the strip so I can post my timeslip :firedevil. Actually I'll get some runs in the same weekend... damn... I better get to work! lol

Last edited:
If I wanted to build a race car with Jeep components I would choose an AMC Eagle. They came with 258s which is a very easy upgrade to a 4.0 stroker. (just need the 4.0 block/head/fi) Or you could go all out with a 360 or 401 V8.

It has all wheel drive and is incredibly light.

Yes, the AMC Eagle is probably the ugliest vehicle in modern history but I think its a more appropriate choice for something built for speed than a Cherokee.

The Gremlin's gotta weigh less than an Eagle... right? I haven't been able to find a curb weight for either.

Last edited:
I had a friend that had a 77 hornet 4 door. That wasn't a very big car and very odd looking. His had the 232 I think but a 360 in that thing would be nuts.

PurpleCherokee said:
Tisk tisk... not up to the challenge of just moddin your 4.0? :D

Nope, too short on time and money. And to make this heavy brick fast will require more than 300 horses, which isn't easy to get on the 4.0. One guy with a turbo was saying that when you go past about 285 at the crank the exhaust valves seats start cracking, so he was going to put in hardened seats from a diesel.
It'd be a cool project and all, but it's not how I would want to go. The 4.0 is a great motor for what it is, but I'm not in love with it. I think that if you want well over 300 hp it'd be easier and cheaper to swap engines. And with the LS you'd get better mileage than with a stock 4.0 to boot, all while shedding a bit of weight.

:cool: A 300 horse XJ would be damn quick. Fast enough to have a hell of a lotta fun with and suprise the hell outta some mustangs :) But yea, you're right about the LS... it's just not nearly as cool :cool:

Last edited:
j99xj said:
One thing I've learned is that vehicles do what they were designed to do best, with almost no exceptions..

diesel trucks are made to tow, but ever seen one at the track...kinda awsome to see a 7000 pound monster hurl down the track in the 14s with a trap speed of about 110 and gobs of black smoke

My 96 4.0 used to be pretty quick. A friend had a 95 Mustang GT conv, 4.6 V8, and he couldn't get away from my Jeep. I had some 235/75s on it and it was still a street machine that saw regular excursions into the dirt. We'd take off from a light and all the way until I got out of it at around 50-60, he'd only be able to pull a half car length and then no further. I surprised a few BMW 3s too. Had a guy in a Civic trying to lose me and couldn't, stuck with him around the onramp and all the way to 75 on the highway. Toasted a guy in a Neon 4 times in a row. He was trying to race ahead at the lights so he could get over in front of me before hitting the one lane gate at Pendleton. 4 lights in a row, I'd have at least a full car length on him before stopping for the next light. He never did learn but was finally able to get in front of me when I decided to not race as we approachd the gate. Paid off when they stopped me to let an MP out to follow him...:D

Back