• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Well, I'm back in the fold...

Dave41079

NAXJA Forum User
I had a 96 XJ 4.0 AW4 RC4.5 33's yadda yadda yadda. Well it layed down on me and I sold it for a song, as it sat, to a friend of mine. I drove a Mercury Mountaineer for the past couple years, and it was nice, but mundane to be sure. A week and a half ago I picked up a White 99 Sport 4.0 AW4 NP231 8.25 with silver Eccos and a matching 5th wheel. All stock, with 141k miles on it. It was involved in a front end collision, but still has a good title even though both airbags popped. I picked it up for $500 because the lady was going to take it to the junkyard and that's what they were going to pay for it. She claimed it overheated on her, so she stopped driving it and had no inclination of fixing it. It hadn't been started in 3 months. I jumped it off, drove it onto the trailer, and got it home.

The damage:

Header panel, headlight buckets, corner lenses, headlights, front bumper, missing fan shroud and e-fan, popped airbags. The worst damage is that the passenger LCA mount on the axle is bent. Heat didn't work. Passenger window off track.

So far I've:

Ordered all the replacement parts I need, mostly from ebay, and picked some up at pullapart. This includes a new core support because it was bent. The AC condensor was also bent a little, but I straightened it out. No leaks, and it blows icy cold. Flushed all the muddy brown coolant out, including all the crappy sediment in the heater core. With no shroud and no e-fan I let it idle for 30 minutes in the driveway and it never budged over 210. I put an e-fan on it from a 94 at pullapart and driven it about 40 miles so far with no overheating issues. Still needs a mechanical fan shroud though. I adjusted the toe, as it was VERY bad, toed out almost 3/4". Centered the steering wheel. I also happened to score a front skid and transfer case skid at pullapart. I still need to go back out there and get a ZJ tie rod setup. What I'm really surprised about is that with the blown airbags, the cruise still works. I'm going to hold off on replacing the clockspring until I get the airbags and control module in. All told, I've spent about $400 so far, and I'm pretty happy with that.

Here are a couple pictures.

547984_10150975808873425_426776910_n.jpg

599950_10150975809113425_60802335_n.jpg

293770_10150975809288425_1026553577_n.jpg

I kinda wondered what happened to you. Glad to see you back in a XJ.

Hey, Ed. Long time. Yeah, this was a deal I just couldn't pass up. Looks like it's going to be a pretty nice vehicle. I think this one I'll keep a little mild compared to the last one though.

Well I got some work done on it this weekend. Replaced the whole front end, which turned into a nightmare. The bumper I was sent was not for a 97-01, but the older version. I didn't realize this until AFTER I had painted it and tried fitting it on. So I had to do a little cutting and drilling, but I got it to fit. It's far from perfect, but it's good enough for me, and the time and money I have invested into it.

563982_10151004910273425_1690116949_n.jpg

406312_10151004910423425_308106599_n.jpg

Yeah the bumper being for the wrong model year kind of screwed me on the fitment of everything. But it's just on there until I decide what bumper I want to replace it with anyways. That, and it cost a whopping $40 plus paint.

Back