• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ways to carry a dirt bike...

I'm getting my dirtbike in a week and I wasn't sure how I was going to haul it. At $115 I'll carry it on a hitch. We've loaded my xj down with about 350lbs worth of downhill bikes(2 on top, 5 out back) and it seemed alright, not great but not too bad.

AZ XJ said:
Ahhh okay, sorry my mistake there. I was thinking you had gotten an RM 125 motocross bike, so disreguard what I said. The DRZ's are great enduro bikes, and a DR-Z125L is a great beginner bike. Good luck with it man!

What's wrong with a 2-stroke motocross bike? Forgive me I'm not familiar with dirt bikes at all. I'm buying an '03 YZ125 off a co-worker to help get me started. It was setup for racing and from what I understand 2-stroke is preferred for motocross. I will be using it out on trails, not racing which is where I understand 4-strokes shine.
My question about the 2-stroke beef comes from talking with the guys I race downhill mountain bikes with. All of them grew up racing dirtbikes and they all swear they will never go back to 4-stroke? Sorry for getting off topic.

-Kevin

wrecked said:
I'm getting my dirtbike in a week and I wasn't sure how I was going to haul it. At $115 I'll carry it on a hitch. We've loaded my xj down with about 350lbs worth of downhill bikes(2 on top, 5 out back) and it seemed alright, not great but not too bad.

What's wrong with a 2-stroke motocross bike? Forgive me I'm not familiar with dirt bikes at all. I'm buying an '03 YZ125 off a co-worker to help get me started. It was setup for racing and from what I understand 2-stroke is preferred for motocross. I will be using it out on trails, not racing which is where I understand 4-strokes shine.
My question about the 2-stroke beef comes from talking with the guys I race downhill mountain bikes with. All of them grew up racing dirtbikes and they all swear they will never go back to 4-stroke? Sorry for getting off topic.

-Kevin

2 strokes SUCK on trails... At least thats what i think.. I startd with an 89 yz 250.. Had to damn much unpredictable power and to much of a top end powerband for the trails i ride on... I road it for about 3 months and sold it for a 95 xr250 honda..

wrecked said:
What's wrong with a 2-stroke motocross bike?
I will be using it out on trails...
-Kevin

4 strokes are the way to go for trails, no unpredictable powerband kicking in when you are trying to tactfully manuever at low speed through rocky or rough terrain while maintaining balance. its even tricker with a 40 lb pack on your back while you are standing up ; ) . hey, its quicker than hiking..

it was pretty much always wheelie world for my buddy when he would take his 2 stroke up the mountain with me on my 4 stroke KLX 300R back home in wyoming. He was always dumping the bike into the trees or flipping it over himself, and he was an experianced rider, too.

on to the point of this thread... ...i own a moto-tote:

http://www.mototote.com/default.aspx?ProductID=35

kind of expensive, but you get what you pay for, and this is quality craftsmanship. no rattles on the road or worries while driving. i wouldnt trust hauling a street bike like this in a million years, though, thats just too much weight. i still drive like i have a trailer behind me though, as the extra couple hundred pounds back there is noticable. you better hope you dont just have add a leaves!

in fact, i would be concerned about running this setup without adequate lift or clearance (cut and fold your rear quarters), as the weight does bring the rear down a little bit, and theres no way around that.

it worked great, but not so great ever since my motorcycle was stolen.

*#&%^@#*(^%%)@#

why did you have to remind me?

wrecked said:

-Kevin

2 stroke motocross bikes are very quickly becoming a thing of the past. Last year was last time you will see any 2 stroke bikes raced in professional supercross, and motocross. Basically, a 4 stroke makes more power through the entire rpm range, they no longer weigh any more than a 2 stroke bike, and are more reliable. Also, they dont require you to pre-mix the gas. If your just starting, a YZ125 is an ok bike to do it on, and actually my first bike was a 99 YZ125.. but chances are you will be ready to move on once you get familiar with it. PM me if you'd like to know more.. I'd be more than happy to help.

sizedjeepbike.jpg

found that over on jeepsunlimited!

NighthawkXJ said:
ummm no one wrong move you drag it on its side

I drug my dirt bike over many miles using something similar but way cheaper. I ran a bolt through the hitch vertically. On the top of that bolt, I welded a pipe horizontally the width of the space between the forks. I would drop the front tire and run a bolt through the forks and through the tube where the axle used to be. You use two straps from the handle bars to the bumper sides. If you are chicken you drop the rear chain, but I just put it in neutral.

Other than backing up, it is totally stable and you won't even know it is back there. The one wrong move comment is totally bogus. It may have been made since the pix didn't show the straps.

old_man said:
I drug my dirt bike over many miles using something similar but way cheaper. I ran a bolt through the hitch vertically. On the top of that bolt, I welded a pipe horizontally the width of the space between the forks. I would drop the front tire and run a bolt through the forks and through the tube where the axle used to be. You use two straps from the handle bars to the bumper sides. If you are chicken you drop the rear chain, but I just put it in neutral.

Other than backing up, it is totally stable and you won't even know it is back there. The one wrong move comment is totally bogus. It may have been made since the pix didn't show the straps.

Glad someone with experience posted, cause I have seen a few people pull their bikes this way. I almost bought one but I could justify spending more for a regular trailer. Now when I sell my small trailer and get a car hauler I may look into one of these, so i could still pull just the bike.

KSXJ said:

I saw a guy with this type of thing on the front and back of his suburban. Looked alright, but the actual guy gave us a ton of crap because he was trying to get out on the beach with his vehicle, but said he "couldn't find the keys to take them off" and we don't allow those on our beach, it wasn't until after that we found out this guy had been there a day earlier and he was told he wasn't allowed back until he had them off. The indifference of some people.

Talked to some others that bought this one and they said it worked well. For the price you can't beat it and its light! When I get the money from taxes i am buying one of these. PS I have the same hitch hauler for carrying my waterfowl hunting stuff and if you are going ot make it into a bike hauler, thats scary!!! That thing is spooky with me standing on it. Thats my .02
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOTO...tegoryZ34284QQihZ019QQitemZ290070326201QQrdZ1

That's a nice looking carrier. Can't beat the price too.

Yes it does. I noticed after I linked it. It was an awesome rack though. A lot of my friends bought it after they saw mine.

Back