• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Warning: Banks Header/Pre-HO Exhaust

Shogun

NAXJA Forum User
Warning Folks;

89 4.0/AT; I was led to believe by many that the Banks 91+ header will "fit" on a pre-HO engine, the only difference being the O2 sensor. Even the salesman at Banks, while not admitting it would work, did agree that the only difference was the O2 bung.

It will NOT fit, period, dot. First of all, the OE header has Two bungs, O2 and EGR. Second, the intake manifold will not fit on top of the Banks header. The down pipe didnt match but no big deal. After cutting that and placing the header in position, it is not possible to get the intake manifold onto the mounting pins. The pipes will not allow the manifold to sit low enough to bolt on.

Gibson does not make one for this year, Borla does, part #17010, but it costs $195 more than the Banks. After wasting all this time/money, I will not purchase another "should fit" header. Beware the advice.

He said "should" and you still believed him, Its your own fault..

Ya a Dodge 1500 front D44 should fit an XJ... HAHAHAHA

I have both, Banks on the Jeep and Borla on the Diesel.. I like them both

He said "should" and you still believed him, Its your own fault..

Which "he" are you referring to? The Banks guy simply said that was the only difference. I tried not to point fingers at anyone around here because I would like to believe there is some good advice and knowledgable folks here. It was in fact several forum members that gave said advice which I believed.

Given your considerate comment we can draw either of two conclusions; in your opinion nobody here can/should be believed, or nothing You say can be believed. If nothing here can/should be believed that makes the forum and its participants useless which I think may be an insult to said participants.

I thought I would word my post as an info warning to others in the hope that they would not be misled and thus save the hassle. I didnt really expect, well, forget it.

you would need to swap the intake, and head...then it WILL work.....but youll run into other issues w/ the tps and stuff

I successfully swapped a H.O. exhaust manifold into my 90 Renix which had the oh so nasty log manifold. I had to grab a H.O. down pipe to go with it from a U pull it yard. Also I just plugged the EGR in the intake manifold w/o any problems. SO...The H.O. manifold will work on a renix, you just need the H.O. downpipe to go with it.:)

Back