• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Want to make a ford focus zx3 rally car

castleman123

NAXJA Forum User
I would like to know if anyone knows a website or websites that tell how to make a ford focus into a rally car. First things I wanna do is suspension, and a roll cage. Then go from there, on the motor, I would like to get some ideas on pricing for this stuff, I know its expensive, and I dont plan on doing rally races, unless i was to find some nearby. But I am interested in makin ford focus rally car. I used to do this in my XJ, but after i went driving around on the roads by the river near my house, i have am really wanting to make a rally car. Also I would like to know what it would cost to make it all AWD, just out of curiosity.

Do you own the car already?

If you want AWD buy a Subaru Impreza and tune the snot out of it.

If you have to ask how much it is going to cost to make something AWD it is out of your ballpark. If you are serious (and not going to waste his time asking questions about something you're never likely to do), ask Dave Latourette at davesport.com. He has made new and old generation VW bugs into AWD rallye cars.

r@m

well, im dont have a million dollars, im just a college student, but i have scholarships to pay for most of my school. So I wanna buy a ford focus, I figure, about $5000 for a zx3. And then buy upgrades as I get the money, and build it one piece at a time. Of course it will not be a true rally car, as im not rich, but it will be somewhat like a rally car. Just for fun, kinda like havin a 4x4, u know.

Also there are awd focus made, but there not available here. and wrxs cost to much, especially if i was to tear it up. and with a focus, i wouldnt be out quite as much money.

castleman123 said:
well, im dont have a million dollars, im just a college student, but i have scholarships to pay for most of my school. So I wanna buy a ford focus, I figure, about $5000 for a zx3. And then buy upgrades as I get the money, and build it one piece at a time. Of course it will not be a true rally car, as im not rich, but it will be somewhat like a rally car. Just for fun, kinda like havin a 4x4, u know.

A few years ago, I had a scholarship but they ceased providing it because they said my lifestyle was not representative of someone truly in need of financial assistance. They must have seen my XJ.

In the long run though, you do realize the Focus project is going to be much more expensive just starting w/ an awd or at least a car w/ really good weight balance (can provide examples if you want). There are various models on the road that should be adecuate for any Dukes O Hazzard style driving. Since you want to heavily modify it, I recommend something salvaged or old, since you don't want to throw away brand new parts do you? ZX3s came out fairly recently so thats not what I recommend. On the otherhand-
66_1_b.JPG

bjoehandley said:
Have you seen the 5.0l Conversions for the car? It's built using Mustang parts and handles better and had better weight distribution than a normal FWD Focus.
I saw those, strange to see a Focus go by and hear a Mustang, talk about a sleeper.

bjoehandley said:
Have you seen the 5.0l Conversions for the car? It's built using Mustang parts and handles better and had better weight distribution than a normal FWD Focus.
Im not sure what mag I saw that in, but I knew I wanted one!!!

Re: Want to make a ford focus zx3 "rally car"

well, i figure that i could sell the parts i take off on ebay, or just keep them around incase i tear somethin up on it, and put it back on until i had money to buy the new part to replace it. I guess I need to look at the cars specs more closely. But at first I will get a rollcage, and and suspension upgrades. and then go from there. Also other ideas for a cheap "rally car", would be appreciated.

Can we expect a new one of these silly threads every day?

Tomorrow's topic:

How can I modify a Segway for amphibious use?

FF_segway_122_1.jpg

Last edited:
Strap a Mercuser on the back or a trolling motor

I have my sights fixed on one of these.

But $20k for a 150 diesel, sheesh, I'm gonna wait awhile.

Very nice, even in Diesel

Sport compact car built a focus up to rally maybe 2 yrs ago. I don't know if u can find any info about it online. I'll have to look around to see if i can find the artical to let u know what one to look for.

a new silly thread, uahahaha....so funny. The truth is, that I am gonna buy another car. I have decided just to go with another XJ. I am gonna buy it with in the next few months. I would like to buy one, for no more than $4000 stock. And I would pay about $6000, for one that is modified. I will drive this XJ as my dd and offroader, until next year, when I have some more money. and then I would like to buy just a little car to drive around as my dd. I have been looking at the ford focus, cause they are relatively cheap, and i kind of like them. I guess I should have been more clear as to what I mean by building a "rally car". Im not gonna make a professional rally car. I just like rally cars, and I dont want some little jap street racer car. So I wanna get a ford focu, and modify it, to make it more like a rally car. Kinda like people do with other cars to make them street racing cars, just for fun, cause not all people are gonna be professionally racing them. So if you think that its silly, then think that. And actually if I find a ford focus cheap enoguh I might decide to buy that now instead of another xj. I plan on buying a different car, before september.

If you really want to have some fun...try to find a Mazda 323 GTX. Its got a turbo 1.6 liter, 5-speed, and AWD. You can also get a 2000 Scooby Roo 2.5 RS at a decient price now too. Then there's the '88 Celica all-track turbo, Mitsu Eclipse/Talon AWD turbo's, and what would be really cool would a '91 Mitsu Galant VR4. Think out of the box, be original, and keep it 4WD.

xjcrawlr said:
If you really want to have some fun...try to find a Mazda 323 GTX. Its got a turbo 1.6 liter, 5-speed, and AWD. You can also get a 2000 Scooby Roo 2.5 RS at a decient price now too. Then there's the '88 Celica all-track turbo, Mitsu Eclipse/Talon AWD turbo's, and what would be really cool would a '91 Mitsu Galant VR4. Think out of the box, be original, and keep it 4WD.

Exactly, there are other subaru's then WRX's, and they are all AWD already. BTW there are plenty of cool AWD cars out there that would make bad ass rally cars. Take a look at an older Audi quattro or something like that, they are turbos and are awd. I'm sure you could find all sorts of parts for older 2.5rs's Also have you thought about importing a car from Japan. You could easily score a cheap lancer or wrx over there, ship it over, gut it and make a insane rally carr for half the price of buying one over here and doing the same. Only downfall is that you could not drive it on the street.

But who cares, if its pimp enough to be a rally car go all out, no half ass projects.

just lower your cherokee, get some coilovers, control arms in the rear stiff sway bars a cage take all of the weight you can off of it. roll cage it would be sweet. kinda like a jeepspeed wrc hybrid

Back