• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vibes - Please help! Any ideas welcome!

Loose flywheel or flexplate?
Loose bolts between xfer case and trans?
Broken or loose wheel stud?
Exhaust hangers in good shape?
Warped rotor?
Bad bearing?
Maybe a combination of things.

based on the fact that you pulled the read shaft and had no problems - take a look at your rear pinion angle - i think it was BrettM that set up a blazer with a rear pinion angle that was 8* hight and it worked fine, but when it was "correct" there were major viberations.

How was the tightness of your rear pinion yoke? You can check <<bearing preload?>> with a torque wrench to see if it is in spec...

might also pull the rear diff cover off (yeah that means change the gear oil) and check the ring gear and pinion for missing teeth and other random metal in the diff...

XJ_ranger said:
How was the tightness of your rear pinion yoke? You can check <<bearing preload?>> with a torque wrench to see if it is in spec...

You CANNOT check the pinion bearing pre-load without removing the carrier!

Internal diff work is over my head... both in experiance and in the tools I own. I did the lift and the SYE, but gears just... eh. I'll take the cover off and look at stuff... but I don't care to start taking things apart. I'll do that the next good day I have. Suppose to snow again tommorow. :(

I had a vibration like you described one time....on an xj I had....I could really feel it in the steering wheel as well. It turned out that it was trying to partially engage into 4wd....but it wasn't turning the light on. It got to the point really quickly of where it would engage say...the right side...and pull to the right as well as vibrate. I jacked it up...re-did the vaccuum lines...and checked out my transfer shifting/linkage and I don't if it somehow just had gotten into a bind (front axle) or what....but after I lowered it off of the jack it never came back!....lol... go figure
Aron

Alright, so, another update:

A got a buddy of mine over to help out a bit, and we found something intresting: We put the rear of the Jeep up on jackstands and gave it gas up to 40mph, where the vibration is always the worst. We found that both back tires actually wobble a little bit when we do this. Also, when we turn the back tires by hand, we can hear "clicking" noises that we believe are coming from the outer ends of the axle. We can also grab the top of the tire and wiggle it back and forth a tiny bit.

So, what does this new information mean to anyone? I'm guessing the outer bearings are shot? I know nothing about axles... and I'm thinking that isn't something I can replace myself...

Thanks again for the help!

If it really is the outer axle bearings you can do it yourself. Pull off all the brake hardware and there they are.

I pulled off the drum, but it didn't appear I could go any further without removing the C-Clips and pulling the axle out. Did I miss something?

Well, you'll have to pull the c-clip and axle. Sorry, should have said that earlier.

Open the diff cover, push the axle in, pull out the c-clip in the diff, pull out the axle.

HTH

Well, here is an update for anyone who is interested and for the benefit of others that might have the same problem.

I finally took the Jeep to another shop... one who is known for being really good with axles and had them look at it. Turns out the pinion bearing is shot, as is the carrier bearing. So both of those need to be replaced, which isn't exactly cheap. *sigh*

I haven't gotten it back yet to know if it really solved the problem. I'll let you all know.

Harvo said:
I can hear mine rotating (new noise) with my new lift, but it doesn't vibrate.

I just installed my lift in the rear and took it for a spin and I think I am hearing what you are talking about...any ideas?? Is it bad? I was worried and hope it will go away whn I lift the front...

Hey all,
I had the same kind of vibe develop. Same kind meaning my steering wheel was starting to shake. MY d35c axle tubes were twisted in the housing. It pointed my pinion to the sky and wore out the spring pads plus cracked the bottom leaf on one side.
HTH,
MW

Back