• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Using serpentine belt tension gauge

iwannadie

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I finally got my Krikit II however Im confused as to where to measure it lol.

I tried the longest spot on the passenger side between Ac and Alt., I get no reading. It presses until it clicks and the yellow arm is bottomed out. I then tried the top right next to the PS pump and water pump with the same results.

Is my belt just That loose(only squeals when wet or a slight chirp with Everything on) or am I doing something wrong, the instructions with the gauge are kinda vague. It seems like such a simple tool and is making me feel stupid now ha.

I know alot of people dont care about the gauge and say just have 1/4" of diversion or 90 degrees of twist. I just want to be thorough and have it to the correct spec if I can....

Sounds like your belt is too loose. If you're in the middle of a span of belt and you're getting the click when you push down, you seem to be doing it correctly. You read it right where the yellow arm crosses from the bottom of the slot through to the top side. Is the arm winding up on the low end of the scale or off the upper end? You could also have it too tight.

It means you're way too loose.

put your finger in it, push down. I used the space to the left of the p/s pump as it was a long, flat area. my first reading didn't even register at 80lbs of tension, which is the lowest on the gauge.

tighten your belt a bit and try again. i was amazed at how far mine needed to go.

Thanks guys, Ill tighten the belt and see how far until I get a reading. I swear though it seems like Im not THAT loose. Ive had it loose before where it would squeal at idle with no thing on and the belt feels tighter than it did then.

Its definitely not reading on the high side.

Thanks guys, Ill tighten the belt and see how far until I get a reading. I swear though it seems like Im not THAT loose. Ive had it loose before where it would squeal at idle with no thing on and the belt feels tighter than it did then.

Its definitely not reading on the high side.

Mine was less than 80lbs, and was fine until i put the a/c on.

^^X2

that gauge is the best 15 bucks i ever spent

Saw this in another thread-
Spec are 190lbs new, new being one that has run less than 15 minutes, 170lbs used, used being one run longer than 15 minutes.

Haven't checked the FSM yet, but IIRC the Haynes book suggests numbers in that range as well for both new and used belts. I've got a 97, but I don't believe it would be any different for yours.

When I first got my gauge, I swore the thing was a piece of crap and was useless. Thought I threw away 15 bucks. Then, after a week or so of trying to tighten it by "feel", I gave the gauge another shot. As it turned out, my belt was WAY too loose! It's amazing how much I had to tighten it to get it to register on the gauge and to be within spec. Over about a year or so later, it's doing just fine.

Btw, my issue was that when it was damp or wet out, the alternator wasn't providing enough current for the first minute or so after starting up. After tightening the belt to spec, I never had that problem again (96 174k).

Well I gave mine another shot, tightened the belt a few turns and it showed up on the gauge, just over 100lbs. So I kept going and got it to 150lb (alldata specs are 140-160lbs Used). The belt seems real tight but well see what happens Im sure its where it supposed to be now. I can force about 1/4" inch of diversion between the PS pump and water pump. It doesnt smoke or make any sound when running so thats a good sign lol.

I never knew there was a tool to measure the tightness of a belt. Years ago I was taught how to measure the tightness of the belt and was warned not to over tighten. Small block chevys.

Years later I'm changing out a water pump on my XJ and I do the same test, use your thumb and press.

It squeaks with the AC on, I'd tighted it a little more, finally I just tighten the SH*T out of it. About a year later the bearing in the water pump gives out.

I replaced the water pump and didn't tighten it as much that time. Squeaked.

I was bitching to an auto parts guy. I told him there is a spec on how tight the belt should be buy how in the HELL do you see what it is?

He did some digging and found this belt measuring tool. He ordered it.

I got it and wondered if this TOY would really work.

I read the instructions a couple of times an it sunk in, this is a graduated thumb!

You press it just like you would your thumb, but this think has little markings to tell you how hard you pressed and their for how tight the belt is.

Mine was too loose, even though no squeaks.

Now I'm waiting for the bearing to go out in the waterpump again. :looser:

I found this thing at NAPA and my belts last longer and the bearings involved seem to as well.

I definately went and got one when I put all my pulleys back on after a new timing chain and seals...boy was I having problems with my belt. It seemed like no matter what I did it was loose, but seemed way to tight. Bought this little tool and used it...I was amazed to find I was nearly 100lbs off when I thought I had the belt pretty darn tight!

Great tool, great price, definately something I'll always use from here on out.

~Scott

I need to get one of these too. Anyone happen to know the part # and if they're available at any of the other autoparts stores ... such as Auto-Zone or Oreily... versus just at Napa?

I'm not sure if this is the same tool all you guys have, but this is the one I picked up (ordered and waited a week) from O'Reily Auto Parts.

JeepBeltTool.jpg

That's it. The one that NAPA sells is yellow instead of green.

So Gates actually makes these?

Back