• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

unbearably bouncy ride after IRO 3" lift

In the description it says it will work like an athetolyn torch and can cut through sheet metal. I mean it uses same components that big torches use. Hmmm

I invested in a plasma cutter a few years ago so I used that to initially remove the shackle boxes but I still needed my 4" angle grinder to flush out what metal was left over. There is no getting around the grinding on this project....

Let us know how using a torch goes around that fuel filler neck. The work required to do that safely is more than a few minutes with an angle grinder.

Dan is correct. You will need to remove the metal shield off the fuel filler hose. I protected the rubber filler hoses with aluminum foil but it took more than twice as long to grind flush the drivers side than the passengers side due to dealing with the fuel filler being in the way.

I also found this video helpful... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSW-RBA51Ok

UPDATE: I installed the new shackle boxes. it was easier than i thought. Thats the good part. The bad part is that they dont work with stock shackles thats for sure. Do you guys think longer shackles will help this situation without adding lift?
IMG_20160131_145429_zps2yjazyhl.jpg

That angle is little too much. That said, you need to/should trim off the holes/brackets towards the rear that you aren't using- no shackle will work with that extra material in place.

I'd use a longer shackle too. Got mine for $8 at the junk yard and totally worth the effort. Going from 90* to 45* with the same shackle will lose you some lift anyway so longer puts you back to your old height. Add the angle and longer shackle, better ride and more droop!

Do you think there is any chance I could use new shackles with the hole I am using now? I was stupid and did not cut the bolt hump for stock shackle. So I would have to tear it all out, cut the hump and put it all back together to be able to use those two last holes.

BTW I ordered RE 5" http://www.rockridge4wd.com/i-21252...greaseable-5-84-01-jeep-cherokee-xj-pair.html

They sort of have a revolver kink to them so that might help a bit too....

Do you think there is any chance I could use new shackles with the hole I am using now? I was stupid and did not cut the bolt hump for stock shackle. So I would have to tear it all out, cut the hump and put it all back together to be able to use those two last holes.

BTW I ordered RE 5" http://www.rockridge4wd.com/i-21252...greaseable-5-84-01-jeep-cherokee-xj-pair.html

They sort of have a revolver kink to them so that might help a bit too....

I'm running the same IRO 3.5" springs with the same HD off-road no lift kit. I've got IRO boomerang shackles mounted in the same hole you are currently using. The angle is probably a little more than ideal but the ride is very nice and I doubt I'll run out of travel. The ride height is a little higher in the rear than the front so at some point I will probably take it all apart, clearance the bolt hump and switch to the upper rear most holes.

So I got the shackle relocation brackets in with RE 5" shackles. The ride is significantly better. Spring rate certainly dropped quite a bit. The back end is still pretty high in the air vs the front. I need to remove the brackets and cut the bolt hump down so I can use other holes that give less lift.

So I got the shackle relocation brackets in with RE 5" shackles. The ride is significantly better. Spring rate certainly dropped quite a bit. The back end is still pretty high in the air vs the front. I need to remove the brackets and cut the bolt hump down so I can use other holes that give less lift.

I have the same setup as you except I removed one leave from my leaf pack to lower the rear about an inch. I'm happy with the current ride height. See the photo.

24562354080_79a026814e_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

I have the same setup as you except I removed one leave from my leaf pack to lower the rear about an inch. I'm happy with the current ride height. See the photo.

24562354080_79a026814e_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Dude! Thant looks amazing.

1. Which leaf did you take out?
2. What hole did you use on the bracket?
3. What size tires do you have?
4. Did the ride get softer with removing one of the leafs?
5. What front bumper do you have? It looks awesome.

Dude! Thant looks amazing.

1. Which leaf did you take out?
2. What hole did you use on the bracket?
3. What size tires do you have?
4. Did the ride get softer with removing one of the leafs?
5. What front bumper do you have? It looks awesome.

1. The bottom (shortest) leaf.
2. Same hole as in your photo. I have IRO boomerang shackles.
3. 245/75-16. They are 31's. I went with 16" wheels to have room for bigger brakes later. I'm used to much better braking from my other cars.
4. Yes.
5. JCR bumpers front and rear.

1. The bottom (shortest) leaf.
2. Same hole as in your photo. I have IRO boomerang shackles.
3. 245/75-16. They are 31's. I went with 16" wheels to have room for bigger brakes later. I'm used to much better braking from my other cars.
4. Yes.
5. JCR bumpers front and rear.

How much better did the ride get? Even with the new shackle and relocation boxes the ride is still ****ing awful

How much better did the ride get? Even with the new shackle and relocation boxes the ride is still ****ing awful

I've got about 500 street miles plus some wheeling at Johnson Valley when I spectated King of the Hammers this last week. In my opinion removing the leaf made a very noticeable difference in both the ride height and stiffness but of course everyones setup is a little different and ride is subjective. I was told by IRO not to do it, they said the springs would settle but I couldn't see them settling an inch. I've found with this Jeep I need to experiment to find what works for me.

Back