• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ultra-bright reversing lamps

Yea they will work going to pick mine up in a little bit

:flamemad: Ok so I am on the Sylavaina site now and it says that the 1156 and the 1156LL are the bulbs that fit the backup lite! Not the 3156. That 3156 Bulb doesnt even Fit anywhere on an XJ and its not the right kind of base to fit into the backup lamp socket!
1988 JEEP Cherokee
High & low beam headlamp
H6054
H6054ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen
H6054XV XtraVision Halogen Upgrade: 3x brighter; 2x the life
H6054CB Cool Blue Halogen Upgrade: White Hot; Super Cool; 100% Street Legal
H6054LL Long Life Halogen Upgrade: Lasts 6x longer
Parking light
2057A
2057AST Silverstar Signal Lighting: Complete the Look: Crisp, Clean, Style
2057ALL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp
Front turn signal
2057A
Rear turn signal
1156LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp
Tail light
2057LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp
Stop light
License plate
Back up light
Front sidemarker
Rear sidemarker
194LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp
Ash tray
Glove box
Map light
Step/Courtesy light
Trunk/Cargo area
Under hood light
Instrument-general
Automatic transmission indicator
Here is the 1156 Diagram
fig20.gif

And here is the 3156
fig28.gif

The 1156 is the older bayonet style base and the 3156 is the newer wedge type.
So who is correct here. Has Anyone done this upgrade?

1985xjlaredo said:

It depends on the year of the XJ. Earlier ones used the bayonet-mount, later ones used the wedge-type. I don't remember the cutoff years, but my 2000 uses 3157s - so somewhere in the '95 - '97 range would be my best guess. Best bet is to pull the tail light cluster and check.

FWIW, a 3156 is essentially the same as a 3157, only doesn't have dual inputs for high and low illumination - it's meant to be used for turn signals or reversing lights, not as a combined park/brake light.

2000 JEEP Cherokee
Back up light

All the sites I have been too call for a 1156 bulb. GE, Eautoworks, Sylavaina, LSI, Phillips.
Maybe you have a one off? Who else knows what lite goes into the backup socket?
I found a site that has 38Watt bulbs that look like they would fit the 1156 socket.
27021 – 1195

GE RP11 - Automotive; Low Voltage http://genet.gelighting.com/LightProducts/Dispatcher?REQUEST=COMMERCIALSPECPAGE&PRODUCTCODE=27021
tell me what you think?

Last edited:
1985xjlaredo said:
:flamemad: Ok so I am on the Sylavaina site now and it says that the 1156 and the 1156LL are the bulbs that fit the backup lite!

I love all the "long life" versions of the bulbs. My XJ is now seven years old... with 70k miles... and still has EVERY factory original bulb, except for headlights (which I changed to Hella at 55k voluntarily - the originals were still good).

My previous Dodge had 77k miles on ALL the original light bulbs, except for one taillight that burned out shortly after I was rear-ended.

How much extra is a "long life" bulb worth?

:)

Den

1985xjlaredo said:
All the sites I have been too call for a 1156 bulb. GE, Eautoworks, Sylavaina, LSI, Phillips.
Maybe you have a one off? Who else knows what lite goes into the backup socket?

I doubt it's a one-off; I may be misremembering what goes in there (or the catalogues are off, but I doubt all of them would be). I just gave away a couple of unused 25-element white 3157 LED lights I'd intended to use in there that had been sitting around for a year or so, so I was basing my memory off of that.

casm said:
Basically, the licence plate holder from a '95-'99 Olds Aurora came with integrated reversing lights and fits in the rear plate indentation on XJs like a glove:

95_aurora_reverse_lights.jpg

The original thread detailing the installation was here, but it looks as though the images are broken. Go-Jeep's did something similar, but not using that exact item - however, if you scroll down to the bottom of that page, you can see how JEONLYEP's Aurora setup looks. Obviously this isn't too useful if you're using a rear spare carrier, but since my spare goes up on the roof rack it wasn't a consideration.

AFAIK nobody's done this on a '97-up model yet. Be interesting to see how it looks on the later 'flat' tailgate without the plate indentation.

GM part # 5976427 - $168.54 sugg retail WOW !!

$126.41 my price and yours plus tax and shipping

yikes said:

You're kidding, right?

That's well over double what I paid for mine - which, in turn, was twice what this one is going for on eBay right now.

127 bucks is way too much! Its just some metal and plastic

1985xjlaredo said:
That's why I got mine off of e-bay. It's funny that the Corvette's lights are so much cheaper, one would think that if it has to do with a Corvette, that it would cost more. Maybe cause it's a newer part? The aroura ended in the late 90's? the vette lights were for an 03. IIRC.

Plus a new one won't have the bulb holders or any wiring. There's a chance that an e-bay buy will have this. At lest mine did.

DAryl

1985xjlaredo said:

More accurately, it's just some plastic and plastic. I'm holding mine in my hands right now, and the only metal in it are the screws that hold the licence plate in place. Even the lenses are polycarbonate.

JEONLYEP said:
Plus a new one won't have the bulb holders or any wiring. There's a chance that an e-bay buy will have this. At lest mine did.

Nope, mine came completely bare. Looks like I'll also be making a trip to the Help! aisle in the local Kragen when it comes time to install this.

1985xjlaredo said:
:flamemad: Ok so I am on the Sylavaina site now and it says that the 1156 and the 1156LL are the bulbs that fit the backup lite! Not the 3156. That 3156 Bulb doesnt even Fit anywhere on an XJ and its not the right kind of base to fit into the backup lamp socket!
1988 JEEP Cherokee
High & low beam headlamp
H6054
H6054ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen
H6054XV XtraVision Halogen Upgrade: 3x brighter; 2x the life
H6054CB Cool Blue Halogen Upgrade: White Hot; Super Cool; 100% Street Legal
H6054LL Long Life Halogen Upgrade: Lasts 6x longer
Parking light
2057A
Front turn signal
2057A
Rear turn signal
Tail light
Stop light
License plate
Back up light
Front sidemarker
Rear sidemarker
Ash tray
Glove box
Map light
Step/Courtesy light
Trunk/Cargo area
Under hood light
Instrument-general
Automatic transmission indicator
Here is the 1156 Diagram
fig20.gif

And here is the 3156
fig28.gif

that sucks...I already ordered these...

Or just buy 795 50 watt bulbs, like used in Police lights.....shouldn't melt your lenses anyway. How long are your reverse lights on for at a time for heat to increase that much?

I bought some lights to mount under the rear bumper. They will be controlled by the reverse lights, or manually incase I need rear light for some reason.

yikes said:
GM part # 5976427 - $168.54 sugg retail WOW !!

NOT trying to sell these to any one - just letting you know what a dealer gets for them for comparison.

Not to revive this thread, but did want to make a quick note.

If your Aurora reversing lights came without the light sockets (like mine), the appropriate replacement part is the Conduct-Tite 85830, available in the 'Help!' aisle at your local auto parts store. I had to remove the rubber gaskets from the back of the lights to make it fit - it seems that the foam gasket that the replacement sockets come with have just enough give in them to be able to get them in, but the rubber ones don't. Should hopefully be cutting the hatch and getting this thing in after the first of the year; by eyeball, it looks as though everything has enough depth to mount up properly.

my 2001 xj reverse bulbs are really weak and i want to upgrade to brighter bulbs. What is the best aftermarket bulb for my 01 any ideas

Back