• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ultimate expedition xj??

Prepmech said:
For an expedition rig 4:1 low range seems a little low, the stock gearing in a np231 is fine for most of the wheeling an expedition rig will encounter.

I agree with this. 4:1 is great for crawling and would be nice to have in an expedition rig, but I wouldn't want 4:1 as my only low gearing option....

I would like a 3 speed Stak (or maybe Atlas) in my Expedition rig......and maybe someday I will get it.....but for now, I'll stick with the stock 231 low range

91 Jeep Project said:
Then just run 4 hi, got the low if ya need it...........:dunno:

What I meant was that sometimes 4:1 low is too low. If you are regularly driving your expedition rig on the rocks, or climbing where you have good traction then it would help. I hardly ever encounter either of those when I do any expedition type (easy to moderatly difficult) wheeling, but I do run into mud holes and muddy slopes where you need the low range torque to spin the tires, but still have enough wheel speed to clean the lugs.

I guess it is a difference in location.

Prepmech said:
What I meant was that sometimes 4:1 low is too low. If you are regularly driving your expedition rig on the rocks, or climbing where you have good traction then it would help. I hardly ever encounter either of those when I do any expedition type (easy to moderatly difficult) wheeling, but I do run into mud holes and muddy slopes where you need the low range torque to spin the tires, but still have enough wheel speed to clean the lugs.

I guess it is a difference in location.

Agreed

this is the xxxpedition xj build that i ws planning on copying as time goes on...

Engine:
Stock 4.0L high output I-6 with Custom Aluminum Radiator, dual battery, tripple compressor, Borla exhaust system
Transfer Case / Driveshaft:
NP231 with Skyjacker Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit, Tom Wood's Custom Drive Shafts
Front End:
6" Skyjacker Rock Ready Lift, Dana 30, 4.56 Genuine Gears and ARB Air Locker
Rear End:
6" Skyjacker Rock Ready Lift, Dana 44, 4.56 Genuine Gears and ARB Air Locker, Air Lift Load Controller
Wheels / Tires:
Rock Crawler Wheels/ 33" Xterrain Pro Comp Tires
Cargo:
- Modified ConFerr roof rack by 4XFlyin with custom floor and spare tire custom bracket
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]- Durango 4x4 Rear Bumper with spare tire carrier and custom jerry can holder
- Custom storage boxes[/FONT]
Exterior:
- CB-antenna on custom mount centered between windshield wipers (no branch can get to the antenna)
- Air Visors for rear windows to keep rain out of open windows
- Custom insect screens for rear windows
- Limo tint on rear windows
- Bushwacker Cut Out fender flares
- Custom designed and built storage box for roof rack
Interior:
- Ceiling-mounted CB with under-dash microphone hook-up
- Custom storage compartment behind rear bench - rear bench is removed for trips and a second compartment is attached to the built-in trunk compartment; both compartments create a platform for a foam mattress.
- Overhead shelf[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
- Garmin GPS
- Additional gauges[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
- Additional AC and DC outlets
Armor:
- Rocky Road Rocker Rails
- Skid Row and Custom skid plates[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]- Durango 4x4 Rear Bumper
- Durango 4x4 Front Bumper with winch
Other Features:
- ARB Safari Snorkel[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
- Four ProComp 100W lights in the front and two Rally 55W lights in the rear
- Two fire extinguishers
- HiLift jack
- Extended breather hoses for differentials, transmission, transfercase and distributer
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]- Two 33" Xterrain Pro Comp spare tires[/FONT]

dont waste any money on the bushwhacker flares. and is the skyjacker lift on short arms??

I breezed through here real fast, and didn't see the olympic top hat rack. For storage area and keeping the trees out of the back glass, you can't beat it.

there would be some obvious changes to the xxxpedition build up that i would make, and i would build most of my own things. I would for sure not use the bushwackers, skyjacker, or durango parts

Back