• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

u-joint tool...

Kejtar said:
You can also use it to replace the balljoints on your jeep, but you gotta be creative as the sleeves are wrong size.

While we are on the subject, kinda.
Kejtar, I have used the HF tool for my UJ's, with great success. Would like to do my ball joints, is it hard to do with the HF tool. What do you mean creative?

BskisXJ said:
Kejtar, I have used the HF tool for my UJ's, with great success. Would like to do my ball joints, is it hard to do with the HF tool. What do you mean creative?

I'd also like to know. Need to do my ball joints and two front u-joints. (damn this junkyard axle...) $20 for the HF tool looks like a great price! Just got done doing a rear shaft joint with a BFH, some 3/4" sockets and a block of wood. Kinda a pain.

AJsArmor said:
. . . my new Harbor Freight u-joint tool, ok so it's not the one they sell though.
pos.jpg

Works slick.

That rocks. Pics of it mounted to your rear bumper?

:laugh3:

Re: u-joint tool...UPDATE

rstarch345 said:
I seriously hope you DO NOT really take beer on the trail???????????????
LOL... I was kidding: I take my beer stirred, not shaken :D Also I'd be afraid that my beer would break on the trail: I prefer bottles over cans.

Last edited:
BskisXJ said:
Unfortunately you have to be slightly creative as the sleeves are a little bit wrong size and the angles are slightly wrong so things will want to slip, but it is doable. I've replaced a bad lower ball joint with only some creative work (primarily it required having 4 hands available)

Re: u-joint tool...UPDATE

Kejtar said:
they want how much ??? For that??????? Damn, for $200 I could bring enough beer with me on the trail that I would not only would not have to carry a tool, but someone would also change both the axles and ujoints for me.

Btw, the ball joint press is on sale for $19 http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=38335 :D

Yeah, it is a little expensive, but for low volume forgings, what I expected...

The benefit is that is is bomber, and fits in the nice fitted case... so it is easy to take and use on the trail. Check the rockcrawler link again and see the pic of the case and how it works.

Pretty sure it will have paid for itself the first time you use it on the trial, much less the shop/garage.

Anyone interested? PM me, I need 3 more to hit the price...

g

Kejtar said:
Unfortunately you have to be slightly creative as the sleeves are a little bit wrong size and the angles are slightly wrong so things will want to slip, but it is doable. I've replaced a bad lower ball joint with only some creative work (primarily it required having 4 hands available)

I also just did all 4 BJ's on mine,HF tool with a few sleeves I cut with a small angle like Kejtar refered to.Easier installing the new ones than removing the old ones,just use a BFH every once in awhile to get them moving!

Back