• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trunk storage ideas

Heres the one i made and it cost me less than $50 to build it

PICT1274.jpg

PICT1275.jpg

:wave: That's mine. Let me know what you need help on!

Thanks! It looks great.

How tall is it? how high off the floor is the bottom of the drawer opening? Did you just use plywood for construction? What thickness and how much did you buy?

Thanks! It looks great.

How tall is it? how high off the floor is the bottom of the drawer opening? Did you just use plywood for construction? What thickness and how much did you buy?

I used one sheet of 3/4" MDF. I will go get you some measurements when I get a chance. The amp rack is thinner MDF.

PICT1274.jpg

Somehow I don't think you read my post......those rakmount bolts will tear right thru the cheap particale board in a serious headon crash....U won't get a 2nd chance to fix it....but then who knows, maybe the dog will just be in a vegitive state. :wierd:

Well gents...a few years ago I got hit headon at 55.....You can not believe what the h*ll goes on inside an XJ w/ that kinda force. The back seat buckled up 6" and the strapped spare came 1/2 way over. stuff was everywhere...nothing like a metal firstaid kit you thought u had screwed down good and tight comin past u at 55. Lucky I was alone. to the guy w/ his hilift bolted to wood...It will kill you and everyone w/ you (dog woman or child). To those who think welding it to the inside rack works...welds will break at this speed...hope you are a good welder. Put the jack and spare outside on the back. Good roof racks just barely make it w/o a spare on em and I am quite sure a full gas can on the rack must just be awsome. :soapbox:

I totally agree. After my 40m.p.h. "flop" on Christmas Day evening, I have a totally new respect for just how well things need to be bolted down. My wife and kids are lucky not to have been with me--my Fiskars axe was occupying the front passenger's-side headspace.

PICT1274.jpg

Somehow I don't think you read my post......those rakmount bolts will tear right thru the cheap particale board in a serious headon crash....U won't get a 2nd chance to fix it....but then who knows, maybe the dog will just be in a vegitive state. :wierd:

x2!!
A hi-lift is a very uncomfortable hat to wear......

PICT1274.jpg

I have two plates one on each side that is 4in by 4in made of 1/4" steal that bolts to it. So i dont think it going to pull the plate out

Well gents...a few years ago I got hit headon at 55.....You can not believe what the h*ll goes on inside an XJ w/ that kinda force. The back seat buckled up 6" and the strapped spare came 1/2 way over. stuff was everywhere...nothing like a metal firstaid kit you thought u had screwed down good and tight comin past u at 55. Lucky I was alone. to the guy w/ his hilift bolted to wood...It will kill you and everyone w/ you (dog woman or child). To those who think welding it to the inside rack works...welds will break at this speed...hope you are a good welder. Put the jack and spare outside on the back. Good roof racks just barely make it w/o a spare on em and I am quite sure a full gas can on the rack must just be awsome. :soapbox:

Hey Bob, very good point. Did you happen to take any pics of the cargo area after the crash? I've been wanting to build a rear cargo rack but I'm a little concerned about what would happen in a wreck. I installed rear headrests which was the first step, but I want to do more research before going forward with the mod.

I have one of the premade ones for sale, new and grey in color. its on craigslist in kansas city, Mo. for $80. problem is it wont fit in the XJ its to deep. Unless you keep your back seat folded all the time.

what is in the orange tubes? They look like they hold 10 pounds or better each.

BOB

what is in the orange tubes? They look like they hold 10 pounds or better each.

BOB

Those are firefighting SCBA (self contained breathing apparatus) bottles that he's probably turned into OBA tanks.

tkjeeper: Do you have any more pictures of that setup (different angles)?

Those are firefighting SCBA (self contained breathing apparatus) bottles that he's probably turned into OBA tanks.

tkjeeper: Do you have any more pictures of that setup (different angles)?

thats a lot of OBA!
I just carry a 5# tank.
it's good for about 12-14 33" tire fill-ups.
most places I wheel at have air.
I just carry it for emergency trail use.

BOB

Back