• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Truck Shopping... $7,000-$10,000

bzdel2441

NAXJA Forum User
I am shopping for a small truck. Realy the only thing I want is somthing with auto trans and 4x4, and a factory lift kit would be nice but not a must, other than that I dont care. My budget right now isnt the best, $7000 to $10000. Anyway reliability is most important to me, one because I dont have the money for repairs and second is that I dont have the time to deal with them. Just looking for some options.

I am thinking right now maybe a late 90's early 00 either Frontier or Tacoma, but amaybe thouse suck?? I dont know anything about either and I know this isnt the place but once I get some more info I will find the correct froum to ask what I need.

Thanks
Chris

Last edited:
1992-1996 Regular cab, long bed, four wheel drive, powerstroke, automatic, f250.
Great truck, lots of power, 15-20 mpg. Maybe a little bigger than what you are looking for but definately in your price range and you can never have to much truck.

I love mine! I paid $7500 for my 1996 a month ago. I bought mine as a tow vehicle. It is not a 4x4. It is as clean as it looks inside and out. When I was looking for mine I ran across quite a few of the trucks decribed above in your price range. A suggestion worth looking at.

f250006.jpg

$7K-$10K is a pretty good range.

Tacomas seem to be pretty reliable.

It really all depends on your needs.

If you're looking for something economical, a big F series is not what you want.

If you want something to tow with, i'd go with a F 250 or F 350 Diesel.

I've always heard mixed reviews on the Tacomas....that and the Tundras....some people have no problems at all, and love em to death, others are the opposite....lots of bugs and can't wait to get rid of them. I know thats how most car makers are but I found it a little surprising from the Tacooma/Tundra line.....i've never driven one but they appear to be pretty sturdy and well built.

My roomate has an 04 Tacoma TRD, ext cab short bed.. The suspension feels like it has no shocks, lots of body roll (very unstable), the steering is stiff, rear locker only works when it wants to, and lots of axle wrap.. the motor is strong and his 5 speed is good, 1st gear is short... The 05s have everything corrected, beautiful ride, they couldnt make the suspension better, more interior room, more powerful engine, 6 speed tranny, steering is more responsive, and very little body roll, very stable

i would recomend something from the mopar family, like say a Dodge Dakota. had myself a 92 Dakota before i upgraded to a 99 Ram 1500 then bought my 95XJ in addition. the Dakota has plenty of power, great towing characteristics and looks great plus is a cousin of the XJ! (a distant cousin, but family none the less)

99XJSPORT06 said:
I've always heard mixed reviews on the Tacomas....that and the Tundras....some people have no problems at all, and love em to death, others are the opposite....lots of bugs and can't wait to get rid of them. I know thats how most car makers are but I found it a little surprising from the Tacooma/Tundra line.....i've never driven one but they appear to be pretty sturdy and well built.

X2

A friend of mine had the dealer buy back her TRD Tacoma under the NY lemon law. I've also had friends have Toyotas last into the 300K-400K mile range. Granted, they were mid-'80's models with 20R and 22R engines.

I have a couple of friends with Frontiers...one has had no problems whatsoever since buying it new in 2000. The other one had a new engine installed in his '02 after 6 months when the top end came apart on his way to the Adirondacks for a hiking trip.

One important thing to remember, is insurance. For some reason, imports cost more to insure. Maybe body parts cost more??? About 5 years ago, I was looking to trade in my 1995 Chevy 1/2 ton, ext. cab, stepside, 4x4, for a more economical truck for my 80 mile daily commute. I found a '98 Nissan 2wd P/U for a decent price, and was ready to make a deal...until I found out that it was going to cost me $800 more a year to insure. I bought a '98 S-10.

I read my parent's copies of Consumer's Reports pretty regularly, and the F-150 is a "used car best bet".

Good luck on your search.

Back