• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Truck-lite's new LED headlight for XJ's

Bill, you know anything about the ECE question above?
I posted the question on Jerry's thread on Jeepforum. I honestly don't know.

I know that we can run ECE-compliant lighting due to an old UN resolution but I don't know if it goes the other way. And Germany is a tough one; they don't allow toy lights (HID "kits", IPF junk, blue bulbs, etc) to be sold/used there.

I live just down the road from Cree where most of these new LEDs are manufactured, two of my friends work there. Pretty much printing money from what they have been telling me about orders for their products. Looking at these lights at 5 bills makes me understand why they are making so much cash out there.

As for smashing headlights, I rear ended a broke down Caddy on the side of I-85 in Charlotte in 2009 heading to Bonnaroo in Tennessee. Totaled the Caddy, popped my airbag, and ended up having to stick a new radiator in on the side of the interstate to continue my camping trip. But, the headlights, as you can see were perfect, if not a little misaligned:laugh:

photo.jpg

Did anyone else note the aiming studs on the lens?

That is the proper way to do a lens and the only way it can get a cert from the Feds for on road use.

I was going to go the the trouble of mounting up a set of Commander HLs. But these? at least as good for an overall lesser amount of time and money. May have to rethink the Commander Mod...

I posted the question on Jerry's thread on Jeepforum. I honestly don't know.

I know that we can run ECE-compliant lighting due to an old UN resolution but I don't know if it goes the other way. And Germany is a tough one; they don't allow toy lights (HID "kits", IPF junk, blue bulbs, etc) to be sold/used there.
Bummer.
Great question. Both the 27270C and 27450C are not ECE compliant headlamps. Truck-Lite is working on many projects, but nothing is available for ECE situations right now.
I'll be sure to keep everyone posted of any additional releases.
Thanks,
Jerry Lee

Great looking setup!

Do these require the wiring upgrade to get the full benefit or since the low amp draw of the LED lights is stock wiring sufficient to get the output? You may have mentioned that but if so I missed it while reading the post and checking out the pics. :)

Too bad I just shelled out the $$ for Cibies and nice H4 bulbs... Light pattern in the pics appears to be about the same as my Cibies, but pics don't always tell the truth...

(Not saying one should choose the Cibies...)

The harness upgrade ensures that the full 12v+ gets to the headlights. Some are only seeing 9-10v. That will make a big difference.

The harness upgrade ensures that the full 12v+ gets to the headlights. Some are only seeing 9-10v. That will make a big difference.
Not really with LEDs.

If your wiring is only getting you 9-10 volts at the terminals, then you have problems and should replace the wires....
But if you're getting 12 or so volts, you're golden. The lights are very very forgiving and only need a nominal 9 volts for full brightness.

The problem with these lights is with pulsewidth-modulated circuits and I obviated that by using a bypass harness on the JK install.
The JK headlight circuit has a duty cycle that ranges from 12.6 volts to 4.5 volts --- not noticeable on halogen lights since the filiment glows but it made the LEDs flicker.

XJs don't use PWM to control the headlight circuit. You just have to look for buggered wiring, bad grounds, etc.

Justifying the cost is a little tough...but if you're into that kind of stuff they're by far one of the clearest setups you can buy...Truck-Lite did a good job with them, the quality is fantastic, but definitely not cheap

XJFrontClip.jpg

Ha. You also have 1 grand worth of light between the headlights. I'd bet that you can see well at night.

Selling the Subaru this weekend......Where can I order these? Can't let you be the only guy at the Crawl with a set of these, Stump! :D

Was at the yard this weekend, and found some new-looking stock sealed housings, so grabbed those to replace mine since one of my low-beams was out anyways.

It turns out that one of the high beams is out on my 'new' JY lights!
So I go from one low beam being out to 1 high beam being out.
HA! I just can't win.

At least I have some aux HELLA's on my bumper to use as highbeams, so I'm still better than I was...

Back