• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trim Adhesive removal

MahnkenVille

NAXJA Forum User
Pulled my side trim off of my 97 sport and it left all the crazy-strong adhesive strips along the side of the body. I'm thinking about painting there and need it gone. How can I get this stuff off fast, short of an abrasive disc on a grinder?

I used Goof-off 2 in a spray bottle from home depot + a scrub brush. Worked well, took a few applications though.

also heard a 3M eraser for a drill works well also. used to sell at napa

Spray WD-40 on all the adhesive, let sit for 20 minutes. Grab a plastic scraper (like you'd find in the paint aisle of your local hardware store) and start scraping. The WD will soften up the adhesive and make it really easy to scrape off. Repeat process as necessary.

Pin stripe erasers work well also.

Eraser wheel will be plan B, I'm starting to plan a two-tone project so I'll be fine with a light prep disc on a grinder to get it off.

Click on the 2nd link I provided, then scroll halfway down the page. That is the eraser wheel I have in my toolbox. Picked it up at my local Carquest, but I know NAPA sells them also. They work like a champ.

I peeled mine off very carefully, no heat required. Took all the trim off a '96 Country when I got the front fenders + doors at the junkyard, since my '96 is a Sport and I'm picky like that.

I have done it before by heating it up and using fishing line behind it & getting the adhesive off right away while its warm. You can scrape the glue off with a razor blade if your really good, but some type of eraser product is best.

Click on the 2nd link I provided, then scroll halfway down the page. That is the eraser wheel I have in my toolbox. Picked it up at my local Carquest, but I know NAPA sells them also. They work like a champ.

Did you take the eraser wheel right to the foam tape, or did you try to remove as much tape as possible first then use the wheel on the adhesive? I can't remove any of my tape, it's stuck on there really well :smsoap:

Did you take the eraser wheel right to the foam tape, or did you try to remove as much tape as possible first then use the wheel on the adhesive? I can't remove any of my tape, it's stuck on there really well :smsoap:

I did the WD40 and scraper trick to get the majority of the big pieces off and then went to town with the eraser wheel. Took about half hour - forty-five minutes total to get it all cleaned off.

I did the WD40 and scraper trick to get the majority of the big pieces off and then went to town with the eraser wheel. Took about half hour - forty-five minutes total to get it all cleaned off.

thanks, i finished it the other day. WD40 and the scraper worked the best for me. some of the tape was a little different though which makes me think the previous owner tried to fix them on his own. That tape really sucked to get off

Back