• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission oil

I have absolutely no idea. Honestly I'm not sure I really believe that data.

I only have 1.5 more AW4s to kill (one's already half dead) before I'm a 100% manual transmission shop, so it doesn't particularly concern me at this point, either... using up existing stock and then it's all AX15s, NV3500s, NV3550s, and NV4500s from there out.

The drian plug nut prevents all of the oil in the pan to completely drain. This also leaves the filter primed, and any oil in the pump feed circuit to remain there. removing the pan breaks the hydro lock and allows that oil to drain out, even more when the filter is removed. Whether or not that is 1.5 qts, idk, I've never measured it.

That makes sense I guess...

There is also 2-3 quarts inside the gear train that will remain even with the pan and torque converter removed, sitting on a shelf for several years. It will however come out in under a day when you leave the trans hanging at an angle from an engine hoist in your storage unit, which then slowly leaks down and lowers the transmission onto the floor, pushing the drip pan out of the way. Then they call you angry about the oil slick coming out from under the door of your unit... don't ask me how I know this.

LOL, so HOW DO YOU know that? LMAO....

That all makes more sense now, the raised ridge of the treads and the prime on the filter.....

Thanks Digger! Puzzle solved!

LOL, so HOW DO YOU know that? LMAO....

That all makes more sense now, the raised ridge of the treads and the prime on the filter.....

Thanks Digger! Puzzle solved!

I just got back online but Digger is correct in every way.

In addition, when I dropped the pan I took the filter off and replaced the 3 shift solonoids. The pan was off for a few hours also. That may be the reason for the huge difference in the amount of oil added.

Back