• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans wont shift into gear after swap

IROCthe4.0

NAXJA Forum User
I just finished swapping an auto trans back into my 00 XJ. Previous owner put an stick trans in it but didnt complete the job. As part of the purchase I got the auto trans and all parts to go along with it. Swapped the trans back into the jeep and started it up for the first time today. I get nothing through the whole shift range. Doesnt even attempt to go into gear. Double checked everything all is good. Trans harness and NSS are both pluged in, all plugs on the trans itself are pluged in. The cable physically shifts the trans through all gears but it wont actually engauge the gear. Obviously the trans controller need to be plugged in, where is that located? Thought it was under the console. Its full of fluide and the torque convertor was prertty full when I bolted it up. Any pointers?

The transmission controller does NOT need to be plugged in for the transmission to work.

However, the TV cable between the transmission and the throttle body DOES have to be connected and properly adjusted for the transmission to work -- this cable sets the fluid working pressure of the transmission. When it is slack it is the same as idle, and the fluid pressure is purposely very low so the vehicle can be left in gear but it doesn't require much brake force to keep it from moving -- just like when you are stopped at a red light. As the throttle opens the cable is pulled and the fluid pressure increases so the torque converter actually starts pulling, the clutches tighten and the vehicle starts moving.

The instructions for setting the TV cable appear many places -- here's one:
http://naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?...10&postcount=1

TCU is I think is driver side above the gas pedals...is it plugged in ?...forget that I missed that it does not work at all ....not really much to check out on the putside of an AW4 besides the few connections mentioned.

Last edited:
TCU is I think is driver side above the gas pedals...is it plugged in ?...forget that missed t that it does not work at all ....not really much to check out on the putside of an AW4 .

deleted--wrong info.

Last edited:
I think happy dog hit the nail on the head. The only thing I didnt hook up was the TV cable on the throttle body side. The PO broke the end on it. It will slip on but wont stay connected. I was hoping for the time being id be able to just get it out of the garage. Going to rig it up so the cable functuions now and will report back.

Wait, shifter in park and it rolls?

Check your transfer case.

Also: tcu is in the dash over the lower trim piece on the passenger side until 96; 97 and later it is bolted to a bracket on the side of the trans tunnel over the gas pedal.

Tcase is in 2hi.

Not sure why it rolls in park

I dont think its pumping fluid. Im told theres a small keyway on the imput shaft that the torque convertor fits into but its possible to put it together not lined up. If its not in that key way the pump wont spin. Can anyone confirm?

That's correct. It's only possible if you don't assemble the trans/converter/engine in the proper sequence though.

When you put the trans in, you seated the converter into it fully so its snout sits lower than the bellhousing face, then bolted the whole mess to the engine, right? You didn't bolt the converter to the engine and try to put the trans on it? Doing it the second way is a great way to trash the trans and converter during installation.

I put the convertor in the trans and installed as an assembly tgen bolted the convertor to the flexplate. Im told that it is possible to put it together that way and not have the keyway lined up

I had this happen to me when I put mine together. Had a 21 spline trans and a 23 spline transfer case. New to xj's and didn't know there was a difference. I had a 89 trans and a 93 transfer case.

If you can roll the vehicle with the transmission in park, you have a different problem. It sounds like the Tcase is not really in gear. Don't take the position of the cab lever to tell you it is engaged. The adjustment could be off or the linkage completely loose.

Nothing in the tranny other than the park engagement palls have to work to lock the tranny.

How much do you trust the guy you bought it from? He might have done a manual swap because the auto crapped out on him. But yeah, I suspect the tcase being screwed up or in the wrong gear for the same reason old_man gave. Did you use the auto or manual 4x4 linkage bracket on the side of the trans/tcase?

The only way to really troubleshoot it now would be to drop drive shafts and drop the tcase, or at least pull it back far enough to see the the input shaft. Then rotate the output shaft and make sure the input shaft rotates.

The parking brake palls in the transmission are just about the last thing on the output of the tranny for safety reasons. It would be extremely unusual for the tranny to have this problem.

What about pulling the transmission cooling output line at the radiator to see if the fluid pump is actually pumping?

Back