• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trailer Advice

NW99XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Planning a trip to run the Rubicon in early Sept.
I like to plan early, and be fully prepared for a trip like this.
I know I'm not going to drive the XJ down there, wheel it, and drive back.
So I'm going to trailer it, AND a buddy's TJ.
We figure both rigs weigh at most...4200 a piece.
His Suburban is rated to tow 10.5k
So I'm looking to (more than likely) RENT a trailer that can hold both rigs.

Anyone know of a local company that can facilitate this?
Any help getting me pointed int he right direction would be appreciated.
-Thanks in advance

No one will rent a trailer to you if the Suburban is your tow rig. Figure jeeps weight 8000lbs plus a trailer rated at more like 15k because gvw it will weight at mininum 2500lbs. I think you may need to step up your tow rig.

No one will rent a trailer to you if the Suburban is your tow rig. Figure jeeps weight 8000lbs plus a trailer rated at more like 15k because gvw it will weight at mininum 2500lbs. I think you may need to step up your tow rig.

Well this is what we got and (at least at this point) have to work with.
Neither vehicle will drive down there, and we both want to trailer them down there, and do it with one vehicle.... if it comes down to it, we just wont mention what the cargo will be for the trailer.....
If we're at 8k w/the Jeeps, and the trailer is 2500....that puts us right at the 10.5 towing capacity...should be good right?

There MAY be an option of using a chevy duramax as the tow rig, but that has not yet been confirmed.

The other question is length of trailer.....
Any advice as to what I'm looking for there?
18ft? 20ft? 24ft? ...I dont care if the bumpers are touching....

Eric is right, and please done take this as a jab at you, but a suburban towing an 18ft trailer setup with airbags and/or weight distribution hitch and good trailer brakes towig a single jeep is really the maximum I would be comfortable with IMO

Maybe he should find a single trailer and you could look into united rentals for a truck/trailer combo for yourself.

Or invite a Gresham boy, anticipate that he rejects the offer but cuts a deal on renting you a trailer.. :dunno:

Eric is right, and please done take this as a jab at you, but a suburban towing an 18ft trailer setup with airbags and/or weight distribution hitch and good trailer brakes towig a single jeep is really the maximum I would be comfortable with IMO

Maybe he should find a single trailer and you could look into united rentals for a truck/trailer combo for yourself.

Or invite a Gresham boy, anticipate that he rejects the offer but cuts a deal on renting you a trailer.. :dunno:

LOL!!! That may end up being an option..... (and thanks for that btw)

Well I guess his 2006 LTZ has the 6.0L engine, and the big daddy towing upgrade. Leveling suspension, bigger rear axle, trailer brake controler, allison Tranny, etc....
He towed a 24' camper trailer with it from here to Idaho and back with 5 other guys and all their gear..... and he said he barely knew it was there.

Trust me, I would much rather see a big diesel in front of that trailer. I just think it would have an easier time.

Your going to need atleast a 24 footer, and even that might not be long enough. Another point to think about is that the towing rating isnt what you can pull but what you can bring to a stop SAFELY. If you overload an under rated trailer it wont track straight, you run the risk of it wondering and taking out everything that is hooked to it when you lose control. 2 rigs, plus 14k trailer = 1 ton dually, not a suburban

No company will rent you a trailer bigger then a 7k

If you find some one to rent you there $12,000 24 foot ball hitch trailer, good luck
I'm not trying to poop on you. But with my truck jeep and trailer to NWF I was at 16k another jeep and more trailer your going to be pushing 20k-22k

What I would do is tow one jeep and just go.

I love towing and I tow a lot (not just my jeep) iv towed meany things. But at 20k that puts me on the edge of my seat.

I'm not trying to say you have never towed but 20k, 50 feet long, 2 rigs, 70mph for 2,000 miles a lot can happen

There's a lot of "we'll I didn't think about that"

Best of luck, but I would start looking at one jeep

If we're at 8k w/the Jeeps, and the trailer is 2500....that puts us right at the 10.5 towing capacity...should be good right?

Wrong.
Here's why.

My 18 foot wood deck ball hitch trailer empty is 2450lbs

This is a 22foot 18k (couldn't find and good stats on a 24foot 14k)
There saying 4k dry

2C37E952-DBCD-4541-BAED-3746D6CE1314-11716-000006A0010FFF56.jpg

You have to assume any 24foot trailer you might get might be close to 5k

If you lucky you might find a light car hauler trailer

But not your being picky and it's going to be hard to find a Tariler that someone will let you "joe off the street" rent

Iv was down this road once... Iv been where your at.

This in no way is an attack just facts.

Your not fitting 2 jeeps on a 24ft trailer. 28ft min. With a 28ft 14k trailer and 2 jeeps. Your at 13k min. Probably closer to 14k. I've towed 11k.. It's nerve racking. The first time, with a 1ton truck. I can't imagine more weight with less tow rig! Especially with a loaded tow rig full of distractions.

You could just be a man like our last two amigo presedente's and drive your jeep, it's really rewarding to drive that far, wheel, and drive home. AAA and a credit card for emergencies!!

No its cool, thanks for the info,
Never had to/needed to haul a vehicle before let alone two at a time.... biggest thing I've ever towed was a 25ft cabin cruiser.
And that was just across town, not 600 miles.
I didnt think trailers were that heavy.....
Interesting to know they can weigh that much...

No its cool, thanks for the info,
Never had to/needed to haul a vehicle before let alone two at a time.... biggest thing I've ever towed was a 25ft cabin cruiser.
And that was just across town, not 600 miles.
I didnt think trailers were that heavy.....
Interesting to know they can weigh that much...

Yeah dude sorry...
7k (truck)
5k (trailer)
4k (jeep)
4k (jeep)

That's 20k

and you haven't put so much as a cooler in the truck.. Let alone tools, parts you, your buddy

You and one other dude is 400lbs tools and everything your looking a a min of 2-3k with fuel and all

That's a lot for not towing all the time.

Not to hasta but that 2,000 miles each way is not flat... On a borrowed truck... That's gas. (I know I'm a diesel snob) but man...

I own both rigs and have thought of the same thing. Both bumper to bumper are 28' from bumper to bumper. In order to do what you want your going to need at least a 26' trailer just to get all the tires on it.

Nick. Rubicon is 600 miles. Not 1000 like Moab. (Splitting hairs?)

The suburban is a good part time tow rig. But not ideal for heavy haul. 22k pounds being pulled by a 6.0liter vortec. I'm going to estimate 5mpg tops and nobody's saying a word the whole way there.. You'll feel more jet-lagged then a 12hour non-stop on Southwest Airlines..

Just sayin'

Nick. Rubicon is 600 miles. Not 1000 like Moab. (Splitting hairs?)

The suburban is a good part time tow rig. But not ideal for heavy haul. 22k pounds being pulled by a 6.0liter vortec. I'm going to estimate 5mpg tops and nobody's saying a word the whole way there.. You'll feel more jet-lagged then a 12hour non-stop on Southwest Airlines..

Just sayin'

Yea, no doubt....I appreciate all the help here.
As I get more and more information, and start adding up all the numbers, just on paper, we're now looking at a 1ton dually minimum with a 5th wheel set up and a 30ft trailer.... and even then......
The thought had crossed my mind to get a big 24' box truck, park the XJ in the back of it, (providing it would fit) and tow the TJ behind it.....

THAT'D DO IT!
Course.... it looks like i'd need a dump truck top pull it. lol

Hu thats funny I had that very same idea when I had my Jeepster brought up from Nevada. Put my Jeepster in the back of a big box truck, in the end it ended up being cheaper just to have someone transport it. I would agree just drive one Jeep down, you would need a dually and a large trailer. I would only tow two rigs with that weight with a deisel.

Well the good thing is we got over 9 full months to figure it out.
Who knows, maybe I'll end up with a motor swap in the XJ between now and then.
I'm still worried about the worst happening and not being able to drive back if we have two broken rigs, and are 600 miles from home.

Back