• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trail Rides

RedHeep

NAXJA #1499
Matt and I discussed this briefly the other day. I know that the length of trail rides and the size of the groups is a topic every year.

I'd like to see us develop some trail rides that are long enough to be interesting and short enough to have fun. With the new entrance to the quarry and the way most of the trails are basically the same difficulty, we could have multiple groups run the trails in different orders. They'd leave at the same time in smaller groups and get back to the lower lot at roughly the same time.

I wanted to know what everyone thought before I got google maps out and started running some time numbers to see what we could come up with. There are some areas that we'd have to separate based on ability levels but I think we can find a way to do 5 hour trail rides with a lunch all over the park if we plan and execute routes.

I think we can find a way to do 5 hour trail rides with a lunch all over the park if we plan and execute routes.

I would be all about this. Seems like in the past on the Green trails we pop out in the dunes after 30 minutes and then have to find something to do until lunch.

Yes this would be a great idea. Yea Byron we did end up driving around to other areas last year cuz it went so quick.

It's worthy to look at. We will need to push again for trail leaders to be there on Thursday to pre-run, as we don't really know what we are up against for how the trails will be marked...if they are marked.

I'm tempted to put a spring/summer run together with Kyle's blessing to get the trails marked if he doesn't get it done this winter...but that's another thread.

mac 'be nice to have a GPS based phone app...hint hint josh' gyvr

I can probably put a gps file together for garmin and Magellan if I get with the gpsfiledepot guys.

That would be awesome.

mac 'no more guessing which way to turn' gyvr

I've got the weekend off (just got home) so I'm going to do some computer work tonight and tomorrow and see what it's going to take to map out some routes. I'll put them on my google drive and post them so we can discuss.

Great work guys... I like this idea and the idea of smaller groups.......

I'm having a hard time with the satellite photos and the lousy trail maps on the badlands website to figure out exactly where the trails go.

I've got a couple of topo maps too, I need to sit down and see if I can come up with a good route for some similarly capable rigs.

I don't necessarily want to say "white, green, orange" and alternate, because some of those can be run fast and some of them can be run slow. Plus most of them can be run in several different ways and directions and I want to be able to map out the route so that we don't run into each other and we don't end up early or late.

I'm thinking about using a lot of the quarry and the dunes as well, but I'm less familiar with where the trails put you there.

You really can only get in and out of the quarry one way now. Unless they opened the back side back up. The main trail goes from the tubes towards rockface and then a hard left towards the quarry ( Think coming in around the back side of the pond)

Ram" The new route in is interesting in slick mud" Rod

Since green is normally our biggest group, what if we split it up into like 3 different groups? One can start at the normal start up at the front. The second group can head out and start at the quarry and maybe even run the trails from the quarry to the tubes(depending on water level). And the third could start out on the opposite side of the tubes and just route its way around then head back up front and do the first part.

Don't know how much that makes sense but just giving ideas.

Will depend on trail leaders too. Prerunning on Thursday will also help to know.

mac 'smaller is better if we can' gyvr

I have a list complied of the trail leaders that have volunteered so far. My goal is to have enough guys so that nobody has to be on the same trail both days.

If we have enough I am all for a shotgun start for the green/white trail.

Back