• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Totaled the XJ last night, now what? Anyone want anything off it?

nitrogt101

NAXJA Forum User
On my way to my girlfriend's house and an older dude that had been drinking pulled in front of me to go my direction. I couldnt stop in time and veered left to try to miss him but still clipped the left rear of his car. He was able to drive away after the report and such, but I was too twisted to roll. My jeep ended up on the right side sidewalk. I hit him going around 30-35 and he was barely rolling when we hit, I had decelerated from around 50. I left probabaly close to 70 feet of skids leading up to our area of impact. Luckily, everyone is ok.

Anyways, here is how my jeep sits today in front of my house. Insurance over the phone said sounds like its totaled, and they'll come make an estimate for what I'll get for it. Other party admitted fault and it was included in the report that he failed his field sobriety test.

Should I take stuff off before the appraisal or leave it on? If they'll add a decent amount to the value for each part then I may leave it on. However I'd rather it all go to good use.

Is there anything on here that anyone wants? Make an offer and I'll compare it to what insurance says.

Anyone know of any good 6cyl TJ's or newer XJ's for sale?

100_2040.jpg

100_2046.jpg

100_2043.jpg

100_2042.jpg

Dude that sucks! Glad you are OK though.

leave it as it is for insurance. if they total it, ask how much to buy it back, then fix it up or part it out...

It looks fixable though... unless the framerail is bent up.... at least for a trail rig...

The fender, hood, radiator, header, etc.. can be replaced. If the axle is not bent, then cut off the bent brackets, weld new ones on.

Have your insurcnae company go after his. Get a lttel extra $$ for invconvience and get HD bumpers...

If it is totalled, and you buy it back and want to resell it (whole Jeep), PM and let me know.

What are the specs for you have done to it? What rear axle and gearing is in it?

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about that but my MJ looks worse than that every day:).
Robert has the right idea, to me you're rig looks like it had a fairly easy run through the hammers having only bent one corner:) You may be able to buy it back for something like $500 like xjohnny did when he rolled his rig on the Rubicon.

yea see what the insurance company would do for ya before you start taking things off.

If you do end up parting it out, I'm interested in those offroad lights if they are 100w

Looks fixable to me, get the insurance money and build on what ya got.

You said that he failed the field sobriety test and that it "was able" to drive away, hopefully he did not drive away though.

Man that doesn't look that bad at all. I would leave everything on it to help get some more $$$ from the insurance, by it back if they total it & enjoy the trail rig. Should be not be too hard or expensive to fix it.

Rob $.02

Man shitty to here about you'r baby... ppl here in ventura county are f*&^in idiot's when it come's to driving... if u go to part it out ill take the front spring spacer's... are they acos?

ok again lol... i just looked at ur prev post's and it is u!! man o man im sry i loved your rig!! oh and i want the disco's to hehe. Just PM me if interested.. i shed a tear for u

Wow sucks to here....i agree...totally fixable.....

If not, I want the mirrors, and the front grills...(the ones that are not damaged.......

Thanks for the sympathy guys. I'm gonna wait and see what they'll give me if they total it. I'm getting all documentation I can for the value of EVERYTHING aftermarket to see what I can get. I will ask about buying it back. However I dont have the place, time, or knowledge to fix this. So if I buy it back it most likely be to just swap parts over to another xj if I find one. Would anyone be interested in what would be left of this? I cant have it just sitting around here.

And is it really fixable if its bent enough to where the driver door will only open about 12"? I hit front right and the left side is bent...:shiver:

rpraterxj, the list is long, dont know where to start right now, its what I'm trying to do for insurance too. It has the 8.25 rear end with stock gears.

djblade311, I believe the lights are 100w, they are the long range 6x9's. I love em though, if I take them off, I'm keeping them, sorry. :shhh:

juryrigjalopy, his wife was with him, I did not see them when they left the scene, but I would assume she drove.

89xjJe3per, yeah, thats me. I'm in Camarillo, anyone thats been in cam for a while and recognizes jeeps knows mine. Its gonna be sad to see it go. The front spacers are ACOS, I dont know about how to get them off though with it bent up like this, there's no jacking it. If I buy it back I'll hit you up.

Man, I'm sorry. :( That's a nice looking Jeep, and it sucks that some idiot ruined it for you.

I know my husband is looking to replace all the scratched-up windows on his XJ with factory-tint privacy glass, so I'm sure he'd be interested in buying that from you.

nitrogt101 said:
djblade311, I believe the lights are 100w, they are the long range 6x9's. I love em though, if I take them off, I'm keeping them, sorry. :shhh:

damn. Oh well thats cool. Do what you gotta do to get back on the trail. :thumbup:

it looks repairable to me, and i worked as an insurance adjuster for a year

your door is only opening 12" because its hitting the fender, the unibody is swayed slightly to the left. Its a common repair though, and while I totalled all the XJ's I touched, none of them were as new as yours.

Let them take a look, if they total it, just let it be, strip the good parts if you can. The nice thing about XJ's is they made more than one of them.

Hardly looks totalled. But don't tell the insurance that :D.

I've had that much damage on the trail. Seriously. My lower control ripped off on the trail. I've also messed up a fenders, bumpers, lights, all that stuff.

good luck!

Back