• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Too hot in summer too cold in winter

LYKOS

NAXJA Forum User
Probably an easy question, I'm thinking thermostat...

My 01 runs a little too warm in summer, 230 degrees on a pull and won't get over 200 degrees in winter. This makes for a chilly ride. Brrrr...

It will warm up somewhat while sitting at idle or on a long hard pull.

Everything sans heater core is new. CSF 3 Row, Dirtbound triple threat fans with controller, water pump, hoses, Thermostat...

Fans are set up as follows. one kicks on at 195 and two kick on at 205. I've got the low temp fan disconnected and have cardboard across a third of the radiator and still it runs cool.

This is the sign of an improper or malfunctioning thermostat yes?

If improper should I go to a higher temp thermostat or lower temp?

200 is the right temperature. Thermostat should be 205. 200=205. Close enough. The gages aren't perfect either. You got a different heater problem. I'd flush the heater core first.

Temps are off the ECM. Running a 195 thermostat...

If your high speed fan kicks on at 205 degrees (never mind low speed fan) then it makes since the temp wont reach normal... Normal operating temp on the 4.0 is 210. factory electric fan kicks on at 215-218. But that doesn't explain the over heat issue...

Sorry, high side kicks on at 215. I think...

don't overlook the blend door actuator either-- if it's unable to move the blend door enough to seal the AC evaporator from the airflow, you can get less than stellar heat in the winter. 200* is more than enough to get super heat out of the system when it's functioning correctly and 230* doesn't scare me much on an extended climb or "pull."

I removed and cleaned the blend door actuator this summer and it appears to be functioning properly.

Is there a separate door for the recirculate function for the air conditioner? I hear the heater blower out side at the cowl on the driver side.

While under the hood yesterday I added some coolant. I noticed that the fluid level in the radiator never dropped like you would expect when the thermostat opens up. And the heater hoses were tepid in temp at best.

I'm not ignoring the flush heater core suggestions. I did that this summer.

Will try a new thermostat today and update...

THANKS for the replies. :)

Last edited:
when was the last time you replaced your water pump? ive seen various vehicles with no obvious signs of a problem, but the impellar is rotted away therefore no circulation..

Water pump was replaced 2012.

Found coolant in the passenger side floor. The heater core is toast.

Bought a new thermostat and checked it, by putting both in boiling water, against the old one. the old one was barely opening. So I think I've solved half the issue. Heater core replacement should solve the heater issue.

I'll now go in the corner and cry over the thought of rolling my dashboard mid January...

:'(

Don't think I didn't consider that...

Back