• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tom Wood's DriveShafts Baaaaaadddd???Need TW DS owners here

XJEEPER said:
Brian, your attempt to make this personal instead of sticking to the facts proves my point.

While it is true that Troy and Tom are both friends of mine, I'll dispel any heresay or conjecture, we are of no relation. :laugh3:

Tom's been watching this thread and asked me to share the following, which should dispel any myths or rumor regarding his service, support or warranty of product:

I've just looked at the last page of the thread and see a photo of the drive
shaft that broke. Yes, it looks like the drive shaft crunched pretty hard
against the rock and the weld broke. I'm sorry that this happened but it's one
thing that we guarantee forever. I'm also sorry that I hadn't been contacted
when this happened.

If you will contact me, we will be happy to send a new drive shaft out at
no charge, regardless of the age of the drive shaft. I would like to point
out that this is not because of any bad press received on NAXJA, but that
this is consistent with our warranty statement as shown on this link.

http://www.4xshaft.com/Warranty_Standard.html

Tom Wood
Tom Wood's Custom Drive Shafts Inc.
Toll Free US 1-877-497-4238
Worldwide 801-737-0757

glad to see he stepped up, good job Tom.....I no longer have the jeep that the repaired DS is in. It is in Montrose. Co. By the way it was bought for BTW1 way back when. Its all a mute point at this juncture. Good job guys.

I've been running the same TW shaft on my XJ since Oct '99. It's worked fine for me and never let me down. My boot got torn last fall after contacting the heat shield on my muffler and Tom and his crew sent me out a new one free of charge. When I replaced the boot I noticed that the yoke was off by about 10* vs the CV joint. I pulled the yoke and tried to rotate it a spline in each direction to see if it would line up exactly, but it didn't. I guess that's about the only "bad" thing I could say about my TW shaft, but I can't say that the misalignment has caused any vibs either, so I'll continue to run the shaft 'til I have to replace it.

Our TJ runs a double-cardan shaft from RE, but that was more a financial/business decision than anything else.

I'm currently building a fairly radical TJ for someone. He wanted to go with Jess, so I said sure. Mind you I run 1 TW, and 1 HA shaft- have a TW shaft that's been in 3 vehicles for more than 8yrs too.

When we got the HA shaft, it wasn't the tubing size that I specified and agreed on with Jess. Not a huge deal, but when I order something a specific way, I expect to get it.

Hmmm, this thread has go me wondering. Been chasing a rear end vibe for quite a while, shimming axle with different *'s thinking the angles were messed up. No luck with that though.
Never giving thought to the DS as TW seems to be a god around the boards. Will have to call him and see if I can get my DS balance checked as it may have slipped through the cracks and could be the culprit.
Will say this though, my powder coating was half gone when the DS arrived but I said screw it as it would be under the Jeep anyways. I know I paid for it, but why loose time on it.

Re: Tom Wood's did allright by me!

My pre-trip inspection revealed a worn out front d/s slip yoke. I ordered it from him too soon before departure so they shipped it to the Moab store for pickup, since that was where I was headed. Shipping was free, plus they gave a 20 buck NAXJA discount. Speaking of the Moab edition of TW d/s, we were there for the Memorial Day weekend. My buddy had a horrible noise coming from the front end that we couldn't diagnose. We roll up the street to the new shop and Tom Woods hisself rolls under the Jeep to check it out. Says the cv joint is messed up and the driveshaft bolts are too long. Supplies a patch of asphalt, jackstands and a jack to work on the Cherokee. An hour later we were off to hit Moab Rim, our second trail of the day, thanks to his prompt service. The shop was open for the whole 3-day holiday weekend. I know my local shop wasn't!

orig.jpg

My buddy John pulls out his driveline.

Did I mention my new front driveshaft is soooo smooth that I can go 85mph all of the way to Moab? Couldn't go over 70 before because of the awful driveline vibrations. Very important to me, as my Jeep drives to the trail. I will gladly buy another driveshaft from him when the rear one wears out.

I put my TW shaft in in Feb and the only complaint I have was the way that I interpruted the directions and getting out the snap rings. Nobody or business is perfect but I will say they do a damn fine job with cust. service. Would I buy a TW again. most definately.

OneTonXJ said:
I'm currently building a fairly radical TJ for someone. He wanted to go with Jess, so I said sure. Mind you I run 1 TW, and 1 HA shaft- have a TW shaft that's been in 3 vehicles for more than 8yrs too.

When we got the HA shaft, it wasn't the tubing size that I specified and agreed on with Jess. Not a huge deal, but when I order something a specific way, I expect to get it.

what tubing size did you spec? and do the HA parts come to fit that size tubing?

Back