• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

to sell or not to sell?

NayNay

NAXJA Forum User
To sell or not to sell... That is my first post :)

right now i've got a 2001 XJ - classic, power everything, heated leather seats, real cushy ride for an XJ.

Its got 183k miles. In "Good/Fair" shape according to the KelleyBlueBook "condition questionaire" - only real down sides are cosmetic. 80% of the driving was done on highways at 70mph cruise control and averages 18.8 mpg over about the last 8k miles.

I have to replace the brakes, muffler kit, and engine coil to pass a P0303 fail for the MA inspection test.

My question is - do i bite the bullet and pay about 900 bucks, and bring it all back to life, or sell it as is...

"Fair condition" in a private sale would fetch me about $3k according to KBB....

Input, thoughts? Much appreciated on my first post...

I have to replace the brakes, muffler kit, and engine coil to pass a P0303 fail for the MA inspection test.

My question is - do i bite the bullet and pay about 900 bucks, and bring it all back to life, or sell it as is...

Spend ALOT less the $900 :shocked: to replace those things you listed.

I've been looking at alot of XJs lately for a freind who is spending between 3-5k. Judging by what I've seen in the past 2 weeks I really don't think you'll be able to sell an XJ that needs 900 worth of work for anywhere near 3,000. I know that mileage isn't unreasonable for an XJ, but it will still scare people away. Maybe 2,000?

I'd say just fix it and drive it.

To NayNay, I'd keep it and fix it yourself. Do you have basic mechanics tools?

Have you given any thought as to what you'd replace it with if you did sell it?

Don't know how mechanically inclined you are but that should cost you no where near that amount if you do it yourself especially if you use some junkyard parts (thinking coils). I know when I bought brake parts for my 90 it was $25 a rotor, $12 for pads, $15 for a caliper (+core if you don't turn in the old one), I think $15 for brake shoes, $10ish for a spring kit and $50 a drum all at a carquest store but that's for a total brake job. You probably only need pads and shoes. I usually get a muffler for $40 from advanced (dynomax) and as far as a coil I would try my luck with junkyard parts.

Brakes can be done with simple hand tools (at least the front). Rears are a little more intimidating but still not that bad.

Muffler takes patience and simple hand tools. Sometimes you need heat (MAPP gas, oxy/acy, or whatever you have) to get the pipes to separate, but that's the hardest part.

Engine coil is two bolts, unplug it, and it comes out. Just as easy to install.

Engine coil is two bolts, unplug it, and it comes out. Just as easy to install.

Not on a 2001, it has the individual coil packs per cylinder. Still not hard, but I can see that piece being pricey (if its all one piece, might be able to buy the coil packs individually, if its possible to determine which one is bad.)

I agree though, none of the stuff the OP posted is hard to do with common tools.

I usually get a muffler for $40 from advanced (dynomax) and as far as a coil I would try my luck with junkyard parts.
and to have it roy away in a year, dynomax has gone to crap, a $30 cherrybomb turbo muffler will do the trick and last alot longer, and sorry a ign coil is not somthin id get used

Not gonna say what I'd pay for it, because I'm a bottom feeder and only buy cheap stuff that needs a ton of work.

Muffler takes patience and simple hand tools. Sometimes you need heat (MAPP gas, oxy/acy, or whatever you have) to get the pipes to separate, but that's the hardest part.
An angle grinder and a BFH can be substituted for ALL of this :D Chop the u-bolts off, cut a slit down each side of the inlet tube (through the part attached to the muffler, but not through the tube coming from the cat) then whack the crap out of it with the BFH till it pops off. Can pry with a flat blade screwdriver to separate it a bit and make it easier to knock off if you want.

900 for that much work is a little ridiculous, I agree. In fact I'd probably do it for half that if I was working for a complete stranger, or cost of parts plus pizza/beer if it was a friend.

Coil pack will cost you around 180 dollars new, IIRC.

then whack the crap out of it with the BFH till it pops off. Can pry with a flat blade screwdriver to separate it a bit and make it easier to knock off if you want.
great way to crack the header and/or ruin the cat, a few slits with a grinder and some screw driver work does the trick

I haven't cracked a header or ruined a cat using that method yet... maybe I'm just lucky.

The last time I did it, I cut the slits, pried it open a bit, and it only took a couple light blows with the BFH to knock the muffler off.

I've been looking at alot of XJs lately for a freind who is spending between 3-5k. Judging by what I've seen in the past 2 weeks I really don't think you'll be able to sell an XJ that needs 900 worth of work for anywhere near 3,000. I know that mileage isn't unreasonable for an XJ, but it will still scare people away. Maybe 2,000?

I'd say just fix it and drive it.

Crap, totally forgot I'm supposed to stop by that place in Lowell for you. I just got to work, but I'll try to stop by on the way home with a flashlight and look quick. If not, I'll take care of it tomorrow.

And I agree with what everyone else has said: Assuming you're somewhat mechanically inclined and have basic tools, you can do all those things easily yourself.

Not on a 2001, it has the individual coil packs per cylinder. Still not hard, but I can see that piece being pricey (if its all one piece, might be able to buy the coil packs individually, if its possible to determine which one is bad.)

I agree though, none of the stuff the OP posted is hard to do with common tools.

Incorrect Andy! 2000+ XJ's have wayspark (2 cylinders share 1 coil pack and fire both cylinders at the same time even though there's not a closed or compressed chamber for 1 of the cylinders) so there are 3 coils in that pack.

You cannot purchase just 1 coil, you have to replace the whole pack. Chrysler P/N: 56041476AA

Not on a 2001, it has the individual coil packs per cylinderS. Still not hard, but I can see that piece being pricey (if its all one piece, might be able to buy the coil packs individually, if its possible to determine which one is bad.)

Is that bettah Adam?:laugh:

Incorrect Andy! 2000+ XJ's have a thingamajig that connects to a do-hickey that fires something twice at the same time that the other thing is fired....:confused1

You cannot purchase just 1 coil, you have to replace the whole pack. Chrysler P/N: 56041476AA

Fixed...:D
That is what I was afraid of... that part can't be cheap either.

I have a 99 Limted with the heated leather seats that just turned 100k. I myself have been thinking about selling it. It's a love hate relationship with the XJ.

Hey guys, Thanks for the action on my first post. A Lot of good points made. I need to get a few things repaired to get it back on the road and pass the "Safety Test"... So im gonna have a mechanic handle that today.

After which, I'll need to pass the Emissions test, (both tests i failed :( ) so im only getting robbed so far on half the job.

Problem is, I have zero mechanical skills. I hang a TV on the wall and think I'm bob Vila... its pretty bad.

I do appreciate the help here and im glad i could connect with a few local folks. I'm in boston, btw, back bay area... getting the parking pass today too.

Thanks for all the help again!

Back