• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Timing chain or rod bearings?

nope, it isn't a constant noise. Ive tried to pinpoint the noise to the top end while it's tapping, and with my mechanics stethescope I can't get it to the top end, let alone an individual cylinder.
The noise is definately coming from the lower part of the engine, it's most obvious at the front of the oil pan, nowhere else.

Clunk/Outlander, did you ever find solutions to your rattling problems?

I have the same noise on my 00 and I'm hoping a new timing set and harmonic balancer quiet it down....

Mine was noisy at idle when hot and the oil pressure light came on once, so i checked and the oil pressure was low. I pulled off the pan and the oil pickup was plugged up with sludge from the previous owner not changing the oil enough. I cleaned it and replaced the oil pump. The noise went away and the oil pressure was perfect. 2 days later the rod bearings started making noise (just like you describe with yours). I figure they were fatigued from lack of oil pressure from before. I have since pulled out the motor and replaced it with a newer, cleaner one.

Back