• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Throw=throw, not through

99xjache said:
do we really need to where you are at?

Interestingly enough, this rule ("Never end a sentence with a preposition,") is a holdover from when Latin was common. In Latin, it is "unpossible" :)laugh3: ) to end a sentence with a preposition, and Latin was, for a time, considered the "ideal" language.

Of course, that rule (which is needless in English) makes some sentences come out rather stilted - and others rather stupid. Still, there's no grammatical reason for it - it's obviously possible.

Just a little linguistic trivia I picked up a couple quarters ago in Linguistics 101 (I needed another humanities course...)

5-90

I've been trying to stay out of this thread (seeing as I'm a very pedantic Linguistics major), but since Latin was mentioned (and I took five years' worth in high school), I'll jump in.

5-90 said:
Interestingly enough, this rule ("Never end a sentence with a preposition,") is a holdover from when Latin was common. In Latin, it is "unpossible" :)laugh3: ) to end a sentence with a preposition, and Latin was, for a time, considered the "ideal" language.
It's true. That same mindset is also to blame for the "don't split an infinitive" rule (e.g., "to boldly go"). Latin infinitives (like most in agglutinating or fusional languages) are only one word, and English speakers and writers tried to imitate Latin grammar as much as possible, and so treated the two-word infinitives as one.

CRASH said:
I have to disagree, think everyone should write phonetically. It would make communication more "dynamic."
As cool as all the IPA extensions are, even a short sentence written phonetically would be a page long. Writing phonemically would be much more possible.

Mambeu said:
I've been trying to stay out of this thread (seeing as I'm a very pedantic Linguistics major), but since Latin was mentioned (and I took five years' worth in high school), I'll jump in.

It's true. That same mindset is also to blame for the "don't split an infinitive" rule (e.g., "to boldly go"). Latin infinitives (like most in agglutinating or fusional languages) are only one word, and English speakers and writers tried to imitate Latin grammar as much as possible, and so treated the two-word infinitives as one.

I'd forgotten about that - since I used to speak Spanish (and several other languages) rather fluently, you'd think I'd remember...

"Five years' worth?" Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't high school only FOUR years long? What were you up to...?:helpme:

Granted, if you were anything like me in high school, I'm mildly amazed they'd let you graduate (not for marks, but for being a "discipline problem...")

5-90

Mambeu said:
I pre-empted my fourth year of Latin over one summer, and took Latin 5 my senior year.

Ahh. Now I understand...

I tried to "pre-empt" my entire Senior year (I only needed one course to graduate!) but they wouldn't let me. So, three and a half year of HS, instead of the just three I'd have preferred.

Highly intelligent and highly bored is a SEVERELY bad combination! I had my own chair in the principal's office for two years...

He wasn't going to let me graduate mid-term, until I reminded him that keeping me around doing NOTHING was a bad idea, and would lead to undue wear on his ulcer (which I gave him...)

5-90

This started off as a funny thread then turned into a pissing contest.

we've got engineers or someone assulating ( or something like that) and "I've got more degrees than you" etc etc.

It went from humorous to hysterical. Some of you folks are legends in your own mind.

Below is a link to a decent spell checker for Internet Explorer.

http://www.iespell.com/

My pet peeve is "PROLLY" ;)

5-90 said:
I tried to "pre-empt" my entire Senior year (I only needed one course to graduate!) but they wouldn't let me. So, three and a half year of HS, instead of the just three I'd have preferred.
I almost could have gotten my associates degree in just one year. After my first year of community college, I've got 59 credits, and it takes 64 to graduate. This year's going to be boring.

5-90 said:
All right - I got two letters reversed. I still got the right ones - there's no "W" and only on "L" in the word...:eeks1:

5-90
However, there is an E in one.

Back