• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Throttle Body Spacer Whistle

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
Ok I bought Rusty's performance kit for my 98 XJ, and in the first night I Installed the K&N filter and air tube. No whistle. I then installed the throttle body spacer the second night, and whistles like crazy around half throttle. The whistle changes by varying the throttle position, and I can't figure out why. I havent modified the throttle body itself in any way, just installed the spacer. Anyone else with this setup have a similar problem? Or is it just the way it is, and deal with it? Thanks for any help.

I've got a Airraid spacer on mine and it whistles too. Like Beezil said, you've just got to deal with it!

Actually you don't need to deal with it.

Inside the TB there is a retangular port on one side. If you use a dremel and put a few small notches on the top edge of the port you will lessen the whistle!

hinkley

Mark Hinkley said:
Actually you don't need to deal with it.

Inside the TB there is a retangular port on one side. If you use a dremel and put a few small notches on the top edge of the port you will lessen the whistle!

hinkley

tried that, didn't work for me, I'm sure there are many different configs people are running now...

the whistle used to annoy me too, but its definitly not harmful.

if you keep reminding yourself no harm is being done, it'll be easier to ignore it

hey i kinda like the whistle... course i dont have a radio so i need to listen to something... seriously i hear that if you bore out your tb to 62mm (or get one that already is) and bore your tb spacer to the same the whistle goes away, havent tried this yet as i dont have a drill press but thats what i hear anyways.

After a lot of trial-and-error flipping and rotating my Airaid spacer, I had the spacer and throttle body bored out to 60mm, and I haven't heard from it since.
Any machine shop can do this for you.
There are still some 'vortex' type swirls left in the spacer, but far less sharp edges.
YMMV.

jjvande said:
I like it...i pretend its a turbo when i fly by those ricers.
Me to!!! I like the whine sound...

I think there is a bigger problem that you are not thinking about, you paid like $60 for the TB spacer from rustys when you can get them for less than $20 on ebay or make it youeself of even less out of almost any type of material.

bzdel2441 said:
Me to!!! I like the whine sound...

I think there is a bigger problem that you are not thinking about, you paid like $60 for the TB spacer from rustys when you can get them for less than $20 on ebay or make it youeself of even less out of almost any type of material.

Who makes 1 for less than $20 on ebay? Is it made for a XJ/ZJ/TJ 4.0L? I want to get 1. Please let the cat out of the bag. :)
Troy

But when you don't have an e-bay account, etc. then ya gotta go with what ya got. I was just curious if the rotation of the spacer would matter, as in the rotation of the helix edges. I just assumed the engraved edge was to the front, but that could be wrong for all I know. It's a tolerable whistle and I know it's not hurting anything, just curious to see if there was any solution, not that I ever really drive with my radio off lol.

Are these spacers not the same size as the TB? If they are creating sharp edges that is where the noise is coming from. That must be why boring to match is making the noise go away.

But remember that noise adds at least 10 hp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hinkley

Back