• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

This sucks, why don't we wave a white flag?

I think he was mostly venting when he first wrote that, and you have no idea what he is dealing with over there.

You might want to take the time to try and understand why he is making such a statement. Maybe you should raise your right hand, and take your happy as* to the Stan.

But don't worry you can sit in your nice place and type on your pretty computer while he is over there.

Jack ass

X2

If your attitude is "they're all guilty" you shouldn't even be IN the military. Is there any way to report statements like that to your commanding officers?

Tell ya what, how about you go try to fight an indigenous force, without benefit (for us) of an identifiable uniform, who blends in just about perfectly with the local populace (and therefore cannot be readily told apart and culled out.)

Iraq/Kuwait in 1991 was no more amusing than Iraq and Afghanistan now - the primary difference is that we weren't fighting the Talibs in Afghanistan in 1991 (just Hussein and his Republican Guard.) Throw in local sympathisers, and you have trouble looking for places to happen!

Spend enough time dealing with that sort of situation, and you will start thinking "They're all guilty" - as will your CO, and any other personnel regularly in the field. This isn't necessarily a bad thing - it's that sort of paranoia that can keep you alive and get you home again.

Much has changed in warfighting since WWII - Korea was the beginning of the new trend in warfare, and it was only solidified in Vietnam. I've known plenty of guys who were over in the Big Asian Vacation, and many of them say the same thing - somewhere about halfway through the tour, they came to the realisation that bombing them back to the Stone Age might not have been such a bad idea. In 1972, Nixon was doing just that when he authorised Linebacker I and Linebacker II (carpet-bombing of North Vietnam.) We had NVN on the ropes with those, and we would have brought them to heel if we had continued - probably would have won the war with Linebacker III. And this was after the PR victory of NVN granted by Tet 1968!

Now, might I ask on what basis you form your opinion? I'd like to know - if it's an erroneous premise, perhaps we can correct it.

If your attitude is "they're all guilty" you shouldn't even be IN the military. Is there any way to report statements like that to your commanding officers?

You don't get an opinion till you have been on the pointy end yourself. Till then you are just like a politician who specializes in being an armchair general...

I agree with ya'll it is easy for some to sit back and complain about those that protect them. Damn police, war mongering military!!! It seems "most" of these individuals have no clue as to the true situation. The people "over there" would love to come over here and play with the people here that complain about our military. They would love to use drills, and hammers to torture these whining tits. Then they would video tape the beheading of the infidel. Are Americans so blind they cannot see there are people "over there" that want nothing more than to torture/kill innocent people "over here" To all serving now and whom have served, I love you and my family is in debt to you. :patriot: A co. 1/29 follow me

Wow man you know what that is pretty f*#ked up. Dude he is over there defending our country and you treat him like that for a little thing he says. Whoop de doo. You sit in your chair and say that shit to a Man in UNIFORM for our country who is dodging bullets and mortors coming his way every day.

I am waiting on one thing to clear up for me and i am leaving for boot camp in OCT. It is people like you that i wish did not exist. As far as i am concerned people that dont appreciate what OUR military is doing for us need to GTFO of OUR country!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AHH that just ticked me off....

Wow man you know what that is pretty f*#ked up. Dude he is over there defending our country and you treat him like that for a little thing he says. Whoop de doo. You sit in your chair and say that shit to a Man in UNIFORM for our country who is dodging bullets and mortors coming his way every day.

I am waiting on one thing to clear up for me and i am leaving for boot camp in OCT. It is people like you that i wish did not exist. As far as i am concerned people that dont appreciate what OUR military is doing for us need to GTFO of OUR country!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AHH that just ticked me off....

Boot in OCT? What's planned past that, and what branch?

"Don't be first, don't be last, and don't volunteer for anything." Words to live by...

"Don't be first, don't be last, and don't volunteer for anything." Words to live by...

X2
but take your training seriously, Your brothers life will depend on it. (branch dependent naturally :) )

I don't really buy that quote. Someone has to be first and if you get good at being first you can make a good name for yourself, the go to guy.

Don't be last!

Yea you might not want to volunteer for KP or working in the motor pool, but when you do volunteer for those shitty things people remember that you gave up your time something that sucks. Then when something cool comes along you get picked to do that first. I've gotten to do a lot of cool missions and trips because I volunteered for shitty stuff.
And when your down range your there to do a mission, your family might not want you volunteering for it, but YOU came to do something.

Oh and if he said he is going to Boot in October, it's probably a pretty safe bet he is going into the Corp.

Hey guys, thanks for the support. Maybe it is a bit harsh to say EVERYONE is guilty. Just the males between the age of 13 and 60.

Would you like his email address?

Oh, and I witnessed first hand the results of this new ROE. We found a booby trapped IED factory. We requested clearance to drop a precision guided 500lb bomb on it. It was denied. We requested permission to shoot 155mm artillery at it. It was denied. Thankfully it was a joint op with the Canadians and they got tanks! So no permission from generals needed to shoot a stupid amount of 105mm HE at it from a tank. So we shot the hell out of that way. Not a big deal you say? Well, we were on the objective waiting for 4 frakin hours! And the area we were in was like Lord of the Flies. Hobbes-ian at it's best. The enemy had plenty of time to circle around behind us and emplace an IED or an ambush of some kind. I think the only thing that prevented them was the several hundred tons of tank they would have faced. But that still isn't very comforting when your the guy not in the tank. And taking into account the 3 hour fire fight we got in at the beginning of the operation (oh yeah, they wouldn't approve artillery and we didn't have air for that one, so we didn't ask, we just hand fired 60's at them), these guys were more than capable of massing forces capable of producing casualties. That was one hell of a fight BTW. My roomate is a medic who ran a Canadian terp that got shot on a stretcher to the CASEVAC helicopter under direct fire across the HLZ. He's being put in for an ARCOM with V device. Whoever that helo pilot is has a few beers on me. He knew we were taking fire and when he landed, rounds were pinging off the chopper and his door gunner was laying waste to whatever was moving. From the sound of him on the radio, he was a good 'ol sothern boy. He'll have a story to tell his grandkids thats for sure.

And I'll probably be writing my congressman about it.

I tell you all this to say that you don't have a clue. In fact, most on this board don't (no offense). I was part of the surge in Iraq for 15 months and I hate these people worse than the Iraqi's. There's nothing worth salvaging in this part of Afghanistan. Even Afghans will tell you that.

Last edited:
Back