• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thinking about tires

PacificEd

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
It looks like I'm going to have to buy two sets of tires for the '98 Grand and the '94 Cherokee. Both sets will be 235/75R15's.

I'm looking at the Hankook ATM, Toyo Open Country AT II and I really, really, really want a set of BF Goodrich AT KO2's for the '94.

My cheap side says buy 2 sets of the Hankook ATM's but I've always liked the looks of the BFG's although I've never had a set of the KO2's. The KM2's on the trail Jeep are super awesome so I figure the KO2's would be great for a DD. They don't show a mileage rating but everyone says they last a long time.

The Toyo's fall in the middle and I've heard great things about them too.

I have filet mignon wants with a hamburger budget. :rolleyes:

Ed, for DD use, every truck I've had for the last decade has had Firestone Destinations on them. I'm actually getting a new set in a week or so for the '13 WK.

Never had one go flat, and they've routinely gone over their mileage ratings.

Im going to chime in too for the Firestone Destinations. All my Jeeps run the ATs and I have a extra MT set for offroad. All my friends run Firestone Destinations MTs as well. If you come out with us, you will only see us running Destinations. I was looking at the Destinations LE2s in the same size for my MJ but now that I can fit a 31 after the lift I'm going to get some Destination ATs for it.

Great tire and if you wait for the Friends and Family sales they can be a steal.

I loved my destination ATs that came with my jeep. Also, have you looked at general grabbers?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

My ZJ and the WJ we sold were on Destination LE2. The XJ is on Destination MT. The WK will get Destination LE2, also.

The Firestone AT's and Grabber AT2's are higher than everything I've priced except the BFG's. I'm not crazy about the tread designs on either but I may look at the Firestone's closer.

I just posted a similar question, the cheapest "OK" option seemed to be the Goodyears at Wally World. Unfortunately there's a good chance they won't mount them as they flat out refused to sell me tires that didn't match my door sticker. CS at the three different Wally Worlds I called ranged from nonexistent ("oh, just show up, we can look to see if we have them" - um, guy, I'm calling you because you're 20 minutes out of my way each way, I'd like you to get off your arse and tell me NOW if you have them or not before I waste my time and then complain to your manager because you were too lazy to look) to OK, but unhelpful due to being unwilling to sell me anything. (it's a Jeep. Does ANYONE run stock tire sizes?)

Based on Tire Rack reviews, I went with the Yokohama Geolandar whatever whatever whatever in 235/70-16 (because I have 16" wheels) which apparently just arrived at my buddy's shop today so hopefully I'll be back on the road again soon. There may be better options for 15" but I didn't seriously investigate them.

this might be interesting reading for you, until you get to the point where you laugh at me because I bought a heep and dropped it off at the shop literally minutes after I got the title and didn't realize that some XJs came with 16" wheels from the factory...

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1137769

I have the Hankook ATMs on my Yukon XL and they are great. Quiet and smooth; can't comment on treadwear since I just put them on this summer but so far they are good.

I have the KO2s on my work truck, and I have to rotate them every oil change or they start to cup. Of course that could be due to my driving style :D Other than that they are awesome.

That is what I was hoping to hear on the Hankook ATM's. I've done some reading and they got good reviews. People also liked them in ice and snow. I like the pattern and they have a good amount of siping.

The Firestone AT's and Grabber AT2's are higher than everything I've priced except the BFG's. I'm not crazy about the tread designs on either but I may look at the Firestone's closer.

LE2s are about 350 out the door with the Friends and Family discount sale they do.

LE2s are about 350 out the door with the Friends and Family discount sale they do.

Is that a recent quote? That's pretty cheap for 4 tires. The major tire distributors in Nashville aren't that cheap at wholesale price.

I have a quote from Firestone in Brentwood for 4 265/60R18 for the WK at $163 per tire. With Road Hazard and lifetime rotate and balance and taxes and labor - out the door cost of $985.

Catch22, where are you getting a $350 quote? Labor alone on my bid was $211.

I have a quote from Firestone in Brentwood for 4 265/60R18 for the WK at $163 per tire. With Road Hazard and lifetime rotate and balance and taxes and labor - out the door cost of $985.

Catch22, where are you getting a $350 quote? Labor alone on my bid was $211.

Sorry I was out of town for a minute. Friends and Family discount. I'm telling ya, keep an eye out for it. Only happens once a year.

I'm working on a deal now. I may have them soon.

It looks like I'm getting a set of Toyo Open Country AT II's and a set of BFG AT KO2's.

The BFG's are going on the 1994 XJ. I've always wanted a set so I'll get a chance to try them out. Now whether to mount them on Honeycombs, Snowflakes, or Ravines?

I vote for the honeycomb - its a Robbins trademark!!!!

I wish I had a really clean set of Honeycomb wheels but both the Honeycombs and Snowflakes I have now are tarnished. I think I'm going to try the Ravines and see how that looks.

Oh come one Andy, you know Honeycombs are awesome.....I wish I had some gold ones.

On another note, my tires will be delivered tomorrow. Yeahhhh!!!!!

Back