• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Things to do before the Crawl.....

Just curious, what happens when people completely break down (beyond on the spot repair) on the trail? I'm sure it happens to plenty of people. The Black Mtn website doesn't mention anything about a tow service being available. The rules simply state: "#25. Non-operative vehicles should be moved to the side of the trails and attended to immediately.". There's nothing mentioned about what to do if you can't repair your vehicle or what it might cost to get towed.

Just curious, what happens when people completely break down (beyond on the spot repair) on the trail? I'm sure it happens to plenty of people. The Black Mtn website doesn't mention anything about a tow service being available. The rules simply state: "#25. Non-operative vehicles should be moved to the side of the trails and attended to immediately.". There's nothing mentioned about what to do if you can't repair your vehicle or what it might cost to get towed.

Your friends get you off the mountain. No one is left behind.

Your group will drag, push, pull, carry, roll, or whatever it takes to get you back to camp.

If your group can't... someone will stay with you and help will be sent to bring back someone who can.

Your group will drag, push, pull, carry, roll, or whatever it takes to get you back to camp.

If your group can't... someone will stay with you and help will be sent to bring back someone who can.

This is pretty much how it goes. I myself have driven to the Evart's side with my truck and trailer to get jeeps and ridden with others to help get jeeps back to camp. The Evart's side has a entrance that is truck and trailer friendly and much easier then dragging a broken vehicle over the mountain. We will get you home. :clap:

-Tires
-Figure out steering issues
-Fab up a rear tire carrier DONE
-Front axle u-joints
-HO Off-road shackle relocation brackets
-New lower control arm bushings-Get spare big joint small shaft
-New centering pins on rear leaves

You fix it and get it back. You're not going to find a tow service

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinpolejoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRIANHO13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 043500

This is pretty much how it goes. I myself have driven to the Evart's side with my truck and trailer to get jeeps and ridden with others to help get jeeps back to camp. The Evart's side has a entrance that is truck and trailer friendly and much easier then dragging a broken vehicle over the mountain. We will get you home. :clap:

Awesome! It takes a really good group of people to look out for folks they barely know like that. You guys are alright in my book.

Some people we would leave up there (like Ghost) but newbs we will definitely help get back down the mountain.

You fix it and get it back. You're not going to find a tow service

Or there is this..... I broke in Lion's Den one year and I believe there were about 4 different people who jumped in to help figure out I popped the main fuse under the hood......

Some people we would leave up there (like Ghost) but newbs we will definitely help get back down the mountain.

You're just mad I didn't invite you to the chop..... :smootch:

-Tires
-Figure out steering issues Think my wheelbase was shorter on the passengers side. Measured and adjusted the LCAs. Yet to test drive
-Fab up a rear tire carrier DONE
-Front axle u-joints DONE
-HO Off-road shackle relocation brackets On my workbench
-New lower control arm bushings DONE
-Get spare big joint small shaft DONE
-New centering pins on rear leaves
-Driver's side wheel bearing and hub
-Swap rear leaves side to side
-Get junkyard replacement driver side mirror

Last edited:
Or there is this..... I broke in Lion's Den one year and I believe there were about 4 different people who jumped in to help figure out I popped the main fuse under the hood......

Be honest....there was quite a bit of laughing involved.

Still one of my favorite crawl moments :D

I have to add a track bar to my front suspension. I have the bar and made the brackets/mounts out of 1/4" steel...now I just need to get it all welded up ...dammit I gotta learn how to weld!

I also need to move my battery...I had to put in another one as the old one died...this one is a lot bigger. I did some 'massaging' and made it fit but it's still too close to the mech fan.

DONE (except learning how to weld) WHAT A DIFFERENCE! And done on the battery issue as well.

Of course now I REALLY need to pump up the "guns"...unless I can afford hydraulic assist before we leave! Turning 37's with a locked front end SUCKS in 4WD!

DONE (except learning how to weld) WHAT A DIFFERENCE! And done on the battery issue as well.

Of course now I REALLY need to pump up the "guns"...unless I can afford hydraulic assist before we leave! Turning 37's with a locked front end SUCKS in 4WD!

I have roughly $130 invested in my hydraulic assist.

The ram was $100, 2 hydraulic lines, a couple fittings and drilled and tapped the stock steering box.

If I did it again I'd spend a little more on the ram but that can always be upgraded later.

I'm thinking this is the one I used. I could be wrong on the exact length. You'd need to measure how much throw you have from lock to lock in your steering. Then set the ram to max out at that location. Other than that, it's super simple.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydrau...1X8X0-625-DA-HYD-CYL-SWIVEL-EYES-9-7257-8.axd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinpolejoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRIANHO13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 043500

Awesome! It takes a really good group of people to look out for folks they barely know like that. You guys are alright in my book.

While all of the above is the gospel truth, we do reserve the right to give you some good natured ribbing while we get you off the mountain.

Especially if the reason you are broken is because you were unprepared,
"Hey guys,? Um, my engine blew up because I forgot to fill the radiator with water." = Big time poking fun and laughing at you.

I have roughly $130 invested in my hydraulic assist.

The ram was $100, 2 hydraulic lines, a couple fittings and drilled and tapped the stock steering box.

If I did it again I'd spend a little more on the ram but that can always be upgraded later.

I'm thinking this is the one I used. I could be wrong on the exact length. You'd need to measure how much throw you have from lock to lock in your steering. Then set the ram to max out at that location. Other than that, it's super simple.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydrau...1X8X0-625-DA-HYD-CYL-SWIVEL-EYES-9-7257-8.axd

the psc cylinders are relatively affordable these days too. tap the box and source the hydraulic lines locally and your still flying low on budget.

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/motor...ssist-cylinders/1-75-x-8-assist-cylinder.html

I agree here but will say I have put at least 3 maybe 4 PS pumps on mine.

I've somehow managed to never have an issue from mine.

I installed a PS fluid cooler when I installed the rest of it.

Did that after the first two. The last one seems to be working when it wants to..... I have also had a problem keeping fluid in the reservoir.

Back