• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The worst possible sound.......

Again, the sound of nothing comes to mind. When you turn the key and nothing happens... ...luckily it's a 5 speed, you can pop it. Unfortunately you parked right next to a 100 foot sheer cliff drop and nobody has jumper cables. :doh:

or

It's Christmas Eve, the relatives are visiting. You and your cousin take out Grandma's minivan to get egg nog and make a detour for a HUGE parking lot puddle. You get halfway through and the water is swooshing and all of a sudden... nothing. Stuck in the middle with water up to the door handles. That's how I learned to turn a wrench and what the terms "hydrolock" and "to throw a rod" meant. Still keep the bottom half of the connecting rod on my desk as a paperwieght. :explosion

ooooops!!!

I used to have a connecting rod and piston (attached) on my desk. One of my first engines that I tire down at Detroit Deisel had unleaded fuel run through it.....

The connecting rod was identifiable only by the crank end as the piston had melted on to the upper part of the rod......

I remember this sound like it was yesterday, even though it happened 52 years ago...We were burning leaves in the back yard...somehow a live .22 round got raked into the fire...it exploded and I caught the shrapnel in my left eye...My mom grabbed me, ran me into the house and set me up in the highchair as I was about 2 and half years old then...things were getting a little bloody...all my brothers and sisters were crying...four of them at the same time...I was the only one not crying...doctor came and dug my eyeball out with a sharp spoon at that was that. Things got quiet after that...the silence was deafening.

Thought I would bring this back to the top after a few years.

Hmm, having all 4 wisdom teeth pulled in the same visit made some bad sounds. I think the worst though was when my ship (USS George HW Bush) was underway, we got called to General Quarters at 3:20 in the morning for a fire. Had a cable way catch on fire, and it moved forward and aft, was fairly close to my berthing, so the smoke was pretty bad. Not a good way to start my day.

Calm Tuesday afternoon. Listening to the new Mastodon record with a co worker at my house.

Hear a bang, scream, and LOUD moaning from the park across the street.

Guy changing a spare tire on a BMW, we think the jack slipped, and the car fell on him.

Bunch of people crowded round, ambulance came.

I've never heard an adult man scream like that.

I had an IV directly into my heart and the sound it made when they pulled this long thin tube from my chest... Never forget the sound of that thing as it came out, rather quickly too. It was a very quiet sound but when you are sitting there in a silent room it sure left an impression.

There could also be a montage of bolts snapping as I work on various things. Not many things worse than having big plans for a weekend project and fresh parts laying ready to go in when a random bolt snaps in the worst possible place crushing your plans.

I had an ingrown whisker/hair that turned into a big cyst right below my ear. It got big enough to where the doctor had to drain it, after a local, they cut it open. It was bone chilling to hear your skin being cut but you cannot feel or see it.

The very very loud pop of my shoulder seperating in a football game and then the repeated pops and tearing sounds as I played another 4 plays 5 years and 1 surgery later I get to hear my shoulder pop and grind any time I move my arm. Luckily its only a dull pain anymore unless the weather changes.

The cracking/poping sound as my Fused lower back starts to "un fuse". Luckily there is no damage but I cant take a full time job in anything that requires me to bend for any length of time.

The sound of the roof crushing on my Jeep when I rolled it (profile pic)

That sound when I pulled the knife out of my knuckles. Worst feeling ever goes to not being able to not being able to move my fingers.

The sound of a shotgun pump when Im "parked" in a field with a girl. Followed by the sound of a 12g slug ripping through the side of my Jeep. :farmer:

And for the Firefighters/EMTs out there. Hearing a PASS alarm and a mayday come over the radio during a massive working structure fire.

the sound of a friend's rig rolling on a steep rockface behind me. First some tire noises and revving, then crashing metal, wood, and glass breaking... turned around in time to see it go backward end over end, barrel roll midair, then sorta barrel-end-over-end roll. He was lucky, barely injured. Wear your seatbelts. His cage and extreme strength saved his life but one more roll would have had very bad results.

The sound/feeling of an angle grinder going through my finger. That was a fun one :gee: got full motion back, and the swelling is going down now. Nicked the bone, missed all the nerves and tendons, and cauterized the only blood vessel I hit.

Feeling the very solid impact of the end of a garage door track on my skull. Didn't even feel it hit my scalp, but sure did feel it scrape across my skull. I can still feel the scar years later, if I ever go bald it'll probably still be visible.

The sound of a car accident out front of the shop followed immediately by a child crying. I think that will stick with me forever. Luckily, only broken bones, and the kids were all OK except for flying glass.

The sound of a dropped soldering iron sizzling on my right thigh. That really, really hurt a couple seconds later. Left a 4" by 1/2" scar that lasted about seven years.

I had an ingrown whisker/hair that turned into a big cyst right below my ear. It got big enough to where the doctor had to drain it, after a local, they cut it open. It was bone chilling to hear your skin being cut but you cannot feel or see it.
I get these once in a while, I generally just swab everything down with peroxide, grab a brand new utility knife blade, swab that too, and slice it open then 'pop' the cyst out myself now. If you do it right you can get it out in one piece which reduces the chance that it'll reoccur.

Probably the time the Chemical attack alarm went off onboard ship. We had our masks, but the canisters were locked up, save for two. 40 people fighting over 2 canisters, not a good thing.

Turned out to be a false alarm, but not a fun experience...

Probably the time the Chemical attack alarm went off onboard ship. We had our masks, but the canisters were locked up, save for two. 40 people fighting over 2 canisters, not a good thing.

Turned out to be a false alarm, but not a fun experience...

Thats not very smart!

Some of you guys sound like you've put your bodies through hell, trying to give frankenstein a run for his money, lol.

I got a few that make the list. Probably the one that stickes with me the most was waiting 3 hours for a MEDEVAC trying to keep my buddy comfortable, which was pretty difficult since we had no pain meds, and he had 2nd and 3rd degree burns on his torso, arms, and face. He pretty much would scream till he passed out, be out for a few minutes, wake up, and scream again. 3 hours of that, and nothing else we could do.

I've had rockets and mortars hit pretty dang close to me before, and you don't exactly get used to it, but in a way you do. Guess it's just the way things are. Anyways, I ended up getting out just as my buddies were ramping up for another trip to the 'stan. A couple months into it I get a phone call one morning from my battle, and we're talking things here at home and relaying news, when I hear what sounds like a jet fly over...except he's not at a airbase. I hear the impact of the rocket over the phone, hear him breathe in real sharp, and go "Shit man, gotta go..." and click. Luckily he didn't get hit, but some guys nearby him did. This was about a month after we lost a friend to a rocket attack. I never felt more guilty for getting out then that moment.

There's a few others, but those are the big onee for me. I've been lucky by not having anything super painful happen to me other than my back being messed up.

-Eric

Just got off shift, workin a graveyard shift in Kandahar, got back to the daysleeper tent, Laid down to go to sleep, when I hear 2000 lb bomb explode. Fall off the cot, fumble in my bag for my rifle, and run outside in my underwear to the fighting hole, along with about 10 other Marines. Then we see soldiers strolling by snickering at the underwear clad Marines with their rifles, and realized that it was just Army EOD and they forgot to warn us about that one...:D

I have a new worst sound you never want to hear. Try welding upside down under your rig. Picture a piece of hot slag falling, hitting your ear, bouncing once, then starting to spiral down your ear canal, all the time you hear this sickening sizzling sound as it goes around and around.

Damn, I didn't know this old body could move so fast.

So whats your worst sound?

Been there done that!

The sound of my own lungs gasping for air, as I slowly suffocate, I was 8 and had horrible allergys and asthma, I had a bad reaction to sliding down an elm tree, at my grand parents house. the closest hospital was 30 miles away, I can still remember my mom telling me to hold on, that I could make it. By the time we arrived I had started to turn blue. I wonder how much smarter I would have been if I had not starved my brain for oxygen. :)

Last edited:
Back