• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The valve cover gasket that won't

OK, so I'm not as crazy as I thought. I took it to my mechanic and he had the same problem.

Apparently the two shafts that are used to align the gasket are like 1/4" too close together. That causes the gasket to arch and its edge gets caught underneath the rubber grommets in a few spots so the valve cover doesn't set correctly.

I'm starting to wonder if this engine was rebuilt with a different head. Were there any slight variations in valve cover gasket shape over the years?

He's trying to notch out the shaft hold in the gasket to see if he can get it to set right.

OK, so I'm not as crazy as I thought. I took it to my mechanic and he had the same problem.

Apparently the two shafts that are used to align the gasket are like 1/4" too close together. That causes the gasket to arch and its edge gets caught underneath the rubber grommets in a few spots so the valve cover doesn't set correctly.

I'm starting to wonder if this engine was rebuilt with a different head. Were there any slight variations in valve cover gasket shape over the years?

He's trying to notch out the shaft hold in the gasket to see if he can get it to set right.

See if you can get the head casting number off your head. Raised numbers on the left side of the head as shown in the pic. Your head should be 0630. 0630 was used from 1996 to 1999.

DSCF2535.jpg

Back