• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Official "My Evaporator Leaked/Leaks" Roll Call Thread

Well took another stab at the jeep today. I went out hooked the battery and the dam thing worked FINE except for a cylinder now miss firing. I can see an ark coming from the plug closest to the grill.

So happy I didn't have to tear into the electrical :spin1:

We put about $1k into fixing the AC in our 2000 Classic early last year. The only part not replaced was the evap as nobody, my very honest mechanic included, wanted to tear the dash apart. It worked OK for a few months and we thought all was good until one hot day driving to the swimming hole at camp when fog/mist started coming out the dash vents. It was pretty funny to see at least. Needless to say it no longer blows cold air. It's not a DD now so I'm not putting any more $$ into it, gonna convert it to onboard air instead. I can drive in the woods with the windows down better than I can a flat tire!

I did mine 3 weeks ago. 157 for the evap and heater core at Advance Auto. Took about 6-7 hours from start to finish with out the A/C refill. Well worth it in rush hour traffic.
Ron

Replaced my evaporators last year .worked great until this year .i must have unluckily found where jeep bought all there cheap evaps .new one is now also leaking .do not buy one from acparts house ,they must use the same supplier as jeep.I do not think I will replace again .called them up but they did not seem concerned that I wasted my time to install there inferior part. 2001 xj

I own 4 xj's and one MJ and none of them have evaporator leaks. My 90 is still on the original R12 charge with one or two top offs

2000 XJ with 220K. I replaced mine myself a few months back. Stop leak did not work. I would definitely do it again vs. have a shop do it. No specific step was that difficult, there are just a whole lot of steps. Basically killed a weekend for me.

I replaced mine and ordered a new one from NAPA...didn't fit, double checked numbers...OK. We ordered another one...didn't fit...triple checked numbers. I got one from Autozone...fit like a glove...go figure.

My 2000 Sport had the A/C crap out on me in 2005, dealer found the leak & replaced it for about $1200. My kid rolled it about a year later, totalled it.

My 1997 Sport was hit when I bough it, needed a radiator but the condenser coil was still intact. I had to replace the radiator support so I also replaced the coil, it was bent up from the impact. Anyway, when I took the old one out I just duct taped and bagged the ends of the line. Pulled the plugs to release the nitrogen in the replacement coil, plugged in the quick connects & charged the system, no issues for the last 4 years. I add a half can of freon every couple years, no big deal. Keep the system dry and you'll be OK.

What brand of Evaporator have you had success with?

I have read a few threads about new Evaps that have failed, and with the history of the OEM Evap, I don't think I will install one of those.

What brand (and source) have you guys had success with? How long has that brand been working?

I bought online from acparts house and it only lasted a year and it is leaking. Made in China crap. So l guess I will buy from stealership and hopethey improved

Back