• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Official "My Evaporator Leaked/Leaks" Roll Call Thread

Mine and NO, just kept getting worse, look under the 'I'm pissed' thread, I filed a complaint with nstsa, made me feel a bit better but if 3,000 people complained...who knows...

Add me to the list of leaking Evap's.....been leaking since last summer. Just keep topping it off every couple of months and it's held up so far....compressor sounds like beans in a coffee can, so i'm expecting that to die sometime in the near future.

also, Rich, you mentioned a long long time ago in a post in this thread about the flapper doors on your TJ's being broken and only staying open on low speeds for the defroster...i'm having the EXACT same problem in my XJ. I can pull the radio out and pop it back into place, but that only holds for a little while. I believe the part alone at the dealer was well over $100...and its PLASTIC. At least the good part is the half of the windshield that does get defogged is the drivers side, so I can still see for the most part.

EVERYDODY FILE A COMPLAINT ON THE NHTSA Site who has a leaky evap....

RichP said:
EVERYDODY FILE A COMPLAINT ON THE NHTSA Site who has a leaky evap....
The NHTSA is primarily focused on automotive SAFETY issues. I don't see how a leaky evaporator would constitute a safety issue in an automobile, unless you somehow became blinded by the high pressure refrigerant squirting in your face while driving........:jester:

AZ Jeff said:
The NHTSA is primarily focused on automotive SAFETY issues. I don't see how a leaky evaporator would constitute a safety issue in an automobile, unless you somehow became blinded by the high pressure refrigerant squirting in your face while driving........:jester:

Actually it's part of the defroster/defogger hvac system....thats what I put it under...

Put me on the list. I bought a '98 last fall and before temps cooled off I had to recharge it. Come spring it didn't work at all and I charged it again - leaked out in about a week.

I charged the system with dye and was able to spot it coming out of the drain tube in the firewall.

The job wasn't too bad, but if anyone is reading this and considering doing it, I would set aside the better part of two days. Seems like unexpected things always happen - like shearing off one of the seat bolts in the floor. Anyway, I'm sure it can be all done in one day if all goes well and you are familiar with the process, but I managed to also break the air box housing when reinstalling it. Not all the studs lined up properly, which I couldn't see from the inside of the vehicle, so when I gave a good push it broke. Some apoxy and 4 hours of curing time later and all seemed ok, but make sure all your studs line up before pushing the thing home.

Anyway, diy cost about $250, vs. firestone for $1550.

My local dealer told me $1200, but my '98 is holding for now and unless it became a serious fine or major problem with the truck I'm going to just keep an eye on it. I'm going to look for any TSB's on these the next chance I get. I think I posted a link to the site on Off Topic a while back (I think it was "Interesting Website" or some crap like that.) If I was going to do the work myself, I'd probably try and arrange for other transportation till I got the truck put back together just to be on the safe side.

bjoehandley said:
My local dealer told me $1200, but my '98 is holding for now and unless it became a serious fine or major problem with the truck I'm going to just keep an eye on it. I'm going to look for any TSB's on these the next chance I get. I think I posted a link to the site on Off Topic a while back (I think it was "Interesting Website" or some crap like that.) If I was going to do the work myself, I'd probably try and arrange for other transportation till I got the truck put back together just to be on the safe side.

A TSB won't help you bring the dealer's price down if that is what you are trying to to. A TSB is a Techinical Service Buletin. It just advises the dealer what to do. A recall is what you work... and really, with all the 98+ evaporator problems it should be. If you want I still have my write up available. Its not hard to do. Will take you about two days of relaxed labor. PM me with your email addy if you want the write up.

-Chris

TRSCobra said:
Its not going down. From what I hear DuPont got in some trouble and is to stop (?) manufacturing r134a. Just a rumor.

Dupont is the reason for R12 (and soon R22) becoming essentially outlawed. They had enough gumption to patent R134a and then enough lobbying power to get R12 banned as a dangerous substance. Truth is the R134a is just as toxic,more flammable, has just as many environmental issues, and is less efficient. I'm predicting Dupont will magically patent another refridgerant in the next few years to try and corner the market again - maybe use the CO2 or global warming hype again.

As a side note, they also heavily lobbied to get Marijuana outlawed because the hemp industry was a competitior to their synthetic fiber and ropes.

DrMoab said:
So is there someone making a better part then OEM? I sure would hate to throw that kind of money down the tubes for a bunk part.

BTW mine is an 89 211,000 miles and still blows very cold air :D

Almost identical situation here. I do need to spend some quality time with the vents, etc. on the inside, but it blows pretty cool.

Mopar makes a sealant which can be added to your A/C system. Then re-charged refidgerant. I have done this and it works great two years running...it is still cold. Buy the Mopar stuff not generic. That is what I used. Good luck!--John

Brian Felts said:
Thanks for the info but the link isnt working.Any help would be appreciated
Wow.. thsi thread is old. That server was taken down when Katrina hit New Orleans. I fyou want a writeup PM me your email addy and I will send you a PDF.

-Chris

nonnie said:
Mopar makes a sealant which can be added to your A/C system. Then re-charged refidgerant. I have done this and it works great two years running...it is still cold. Buy the Mopar stuff not generic. That is what I used. Good luck!--John
went to my local dealership today and got nowhere trying to get the sealent counter guy was no help.i was wondering do you have a part number for the stuff?

Back