• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The moving park...

muddeprived

NAXJA Forum User
Got an issue with my junk. When I park it on a non-even surface, the jeep will move about 8-10 inches before finally "parking". There's so much slack in the Park gear for some reason. Sometimes I feel like I'm in neutral and double check that it's in Park. I'm also noticing a clunk when I accelerate after a stop. Not every time but pretty darn often to become annoying. I can tell there's slack somewhere but not sure where. What could be the issue?

I still have the annoying whirring/rythmatic vibration on accleration and going up hills. I never could figure it out and it's gotten louder since. Feels like it's right behind my seat.

I'm thinking t-case is going but....what ya guys think?

It's a 2001 np231 with SYE...and also has a rear aussie.

(i know this should be in OEM...oops)

that's why you have play.

its expected behavior. aussie, lockrite, noslip, detroit..

that's why you have play.

its expected behavior. aussie, lockrite, noslip, detroit..

I have a no-slip, and I wanted do not have that play in park... maybe 3-4 inches. I will agree with cal about the clunk though you will get that a bit

Sent from my Liberty using Tapatalk

I have a no-slip, and I wanted do not have that play in park... maybe 3-4 inches. I will agree with cal about the clunk though you will get that a bit

Sent from my Liberty using Tapatalk

depends on the size of your tires.. ;)

This is way more play than the jeep has had with the locker. The first year was fine, nothing unusual and the normal clunk when the locker engages. Now it just floats forward almost a foot before finally parking itself. The clunk happens when Im going straight and no slip in the tires. It's like a 1-2 second delay b4 the clunk is felt. I've ran rear lockers for 9 years now and never noticed something like this before.

well, i tried for the easy one. ;)

you look at your driveshaft and ujoints really close?

once it is all engaged and parked does it sit more solid, or is there 10" of play forward and back?

Shaft was rebuilt last fall so it's still in great shape.

Depends on which direction it was moving in when I put it in park. My lot has a slight slant to it so when I normally park, it moves forward until it stops in Park. Then I can move it backwards a good 10 or so inches. I used rotate the tire forward and back, stop to stop, to check control arm bushings so I'm pretty aware of how much slack it normally has but now it moves alot more than it used it.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Put it in 4 wheel drive and see if the same results are found.

that would narrow it down to transmission, or after the transmission.

report back. ;)

Probably a combination of the locker and motor mounts. If your front diff doesn't have a locker Cal's test will tell you whats up. In 4wd the front should hold it and you won't have that locker slack.

Open the hood and rock it back and forth and see what kind of movement the motor has.

Chris.

Try putting it in park and jacking up one wheel and see how much play is in the wheel. When and if it moves, see if the driveshaft is moving too. It should not move much at all. That will give you some idea where to look further.

Back