• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Jeep in my door yard

Yesterday was a little rough. all the bolts fell out of a my favorite grinder, a 30 year old Makita, I then melted my best 110V extension cord finally after nothing would work, clogged the last new can of red oxide primer. I left early and didn't go back till this morning. I did get the D pillars boxed in on the bottom and welded the body to the rear frame. I had a few more hours of daylight but I am good at taking a hint.

Untitled by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

Fwiw I have a set of Clayton leafs that I bought from a buddy(low street miles) and they say in my driveway under my jeep and now the pass side has a lean, hopefully they make good on them.

I had a really hard time deciding on the rear suspension type I was going to use. I thought I contacted Clayton and was was given some helpful information regarding spring length and travel and made my purchase decision at that point. I later found out they didn't have any information they could share (after I lost the dimension of the fully compressed spring) and never did (I must have called someone else) but I did buy the springs and receive them and they look nice. They also mentioned that they wouldn't warranty springs used on modified vehicles in the first conversation that never took place. I am not sure how they stand on that issue as even bringing that up is an invitation for trouble. I am pretty sure I am screwed should a claim arise as my vehicle can be see in this very thread in the "modified tech" section on the NAXJA forum. I am confident they will be fine or spend the night in my 55 ton press.

Updates?

I stripped a parts rig for the motor and trans while I was waiting for some hardware and parts to arrive. I ended up with some nice skins also.

I also received the shackles and hardware to bolt everything together.

These should clear everything and allow plenty of up travel of the rear eyelet to give a little boost to the wheel travel. I have a week of travel for work then the back end goes together. Thanks for looking.

Are you going to graft on a late model lift-gate?

Given all that you have done so far I don't suppose that will be much of a stretch if so.

Are you going to graft on a late model lift-gate?

Given all that you have done so far I don't suppose that will be much of a stretch if so.

haha, no it's just junk I am selling off. Though there may be a lot of them already around. No rust on composites!

I am thinking about putting a larger ZJ plastic fuel tank in while I am back there fooling around.

So after a couple of weeks of unusual stuff, I am back on the program. I ordered the hardware some time back from mcmaster-carr. I used 5/8 bolts for the front leaf mounts and 9/16 for both the upper and lower shackle bolts. The front bushing spacer needed a little reaming with a drill before they would accept the bolt. I would guess they were supposed to something smaller.

One of the good things about the long shackles is crazy amounts of axle travel. at the point the springs were relaxed I had a 90 degree angle.

At fully topped out, the housing almost hit the ground with the frame level at 5" lift. The pinion angle is pretty close but I may have rotated it up a bit too far. I am not sure yet. I ended up with about 4" of stretch in the back

The last thing I did was to chop the u-bolts. It's not so rocky out here in the NE and I want to drive this thing so I overlooked going further than 4130 U bolts from Ruffstuff.

Ill get the hubs and brakes on tomorrow unless something else needs attention.

Thanks for looking

brakes!

I couldn't find lockwashers for spindle nuts locally so the axles aren't in yet. I also have to drop the axle a bit to remove the upper caliper pin due to the spring being in the way but it's getting a lot closer. I will lay out the shock mounts and run fuel and brake lines next. I used the same 1/2 ton chevy calipers both front and rear.

This has been a great growing season and we have tons and tons of apples everywhere. Lot's of turkey also.

Thanks, Wilwood calipers are nice for sure! With welded differentials I should be able to get by with just one of those! haha. My budget is pretty tight right now. I am trying to relocate my shop and winter is just about here.. thanks tho,

I got a bit more done over the past few days. I mounted the last two tires on my rims and used them to layout the cut lines.

I made the cut with a 5" 90 degree grinder with a cut-off wheel. I really love how fast it gets work done and I keep my face out of the flight path. I thought about deleting the gas filler door but may be later.

It looks like the tire will fit but I am thinking about moving the axle just a little forward? I also replaced the features from the original threshold to the rear hatch would latch and seal somewhat.

I wanted to lift one wheel for the flex shot but couldn't find enough lug nuts in town to bolt the wheels on properly. I am also a little worried about damaging the chassis by twisting it with no floors welded in.

It looks like it's a bit high in the back but should settle in with fuel/batteries and winch out back. Thanks for looking.

so I cut some off the bottom of the doors and cut the rockers out for a tube conversion. I fabbed and welded both the tubes from 3/16" 2X6 and welded pipe fittings in there in the hopes that they will work for air tanks. I tested them at 100 PSI and patched a leak or two and was wondering what pressure you guys are running typically running on your OBA systems. I don't care for the idea of rectangular pressure vessels (they usually fail)and had planned on running cylindrical tanks but I know people have done this before. If you know, share.

Back