• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Jank

This isnt the barnes kit but this is how the shackle is usually run. I dont see any reason you would have to run through the floor to get it to work.
86540148061f3bd597ecb16c22d94c17.jpg

Bushing on bottom solid mounted. Joint on top connected to the arm.

I had originally planned to go with a midarm setup but at the last minute decide to go with a longarm and a crossmember. So we windowed the frame from the inside and dropped in a 1/2 inch piece of plate....then bolted it all up and welded it to the unibody. I also got a chance to test fit the new hood that just came out of the paint booth.... I was real happy with how it turned out. Next up was the rear antiwrap bar. I thought about this alot and decided to mount a piece of thickwalled square tube on the down legs of the boatsides and hang the shackle to that. Of course this required me to cut a out the floor and some of the rear pan to keep the upper arm flat but it did keep my shackle up and out of harms way. Then I loaded it on the trailer and took it down to IVY for the Spring Invasion Ride and a quick shakedown..... flexed her out and everything seemed to work as it should. All in all a great weekend.

IMAG0307_zpslx02d2iz.jpg

IMAG0305_zpsydtsmb13.jpg

IMAG0309_zpsfszdymxk.jpg

IMAG0310_zpsuys7x1ks.jpg

1_zpsn2db9qbl.jpg

Spent the better part of the day bending EMT trying to figure out how I’d like my front rub bars to look. I burnt through four 10 foot sticks but I think I’m happy with these….. time to get some bars bent….

IMAG0339_zpsckf8wck6.jpg

IMAG0340_zpstzqzp9sn.jpg

IMAG0341_zpspdumhxlr.jpg

IMAG0342_zpswvsdmx58.jpg

Not sure I was digging all the red split by a black bar so I think I'll just weld 1/4 plate over the bars to make a lower fender.... something like this but over the bars instead of inside them.

IMAG0344_zpsyibdfnnb.jpg

Thanks Wisco...That MJ was probably my favorite vehicle of all time ..... I really hated to part with it but I think this will surpass it once I'm done. I just wish I had done an EXO instead of an interior cage... had I been out west in the wide open spaces it probably wouldn't have been as bad but here in WV the ravines and ledges are tight and you gotta lean on everything to get through.

I hear that.. my MJ is fairly clean and im getting nervous about the trails. Im in the Midwest so its heavily wooded out here. We'll see though. I would love to throw some dana 60's under a 2dr xj so maybe if im too much of a wus with the MJ ill do that.

Im guna hold you too this truggy surpassing that truck.. GET'RONE!

Got some work done over the weekend on the 3 link suspension. New passenger upper Mocked in, to get my 6 inches of separation I had to cut out most of the floor. On a side note most of it was rusted anyway.

IMAG0004_zpswxltlnxo.jpg

IMAG0005_zpscx9lqian.jpg

New upper and lowers ready for welding

IMAG0012_zpsbp8v7oqe.jpg

Mocked up the trackbar 2 inches forward, this still gives me about 1.25 inches before it makes contact with the Pitman arm and allows me to move my axle 2 inches forward. Still have some plating to do but this should get my wheelbase out over 110 inches.

IMAG0014_zpsddi89kes.jpg

Im new to 4x4 solid axle suspension so forgive my question, but is it 6" of vertical separation between the upper and lower CA mount you were talking about?

Yep.... if possible you want to get 6 at the frame and 8 at the axle. You also want to try and keep your upper as flat as possible and at least 70% the length of your lower.

Back