• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The best camping, fishing & wheeling spots in CO?

Hey guys. I am needing to book our family camping trip for this summer and I am wanting to find a new spot. For the last 4 years we have camped at Chalk Creek just below St. Elmo's and have loved wheeling, fishing and soaking up the Mt Princeton Hot Springs there. (I highly suggest it if you have not been yet)

But the time has come to find a new spot... I am looking for a campsite with at least a bathroom (because of my lovely wife) that is close to some trails and lakes. Does anyone out there have any favorite spots they would care to share that's not more than 3 hours from Denver?

Thanks a bunch as always!

Last edited:
KOA by victor/cripple creek. Lots of little lakes, plus close to 11 mile/lake george. Saran wrap, Eagle rock, Mt Baldy, China wall, the Gulches, and Chinamens are all within a reasonable distance. Plus its at the base of Pikes Peak on the back side. Great location.

Ouray is hard to beat.

One of my favorites is the Peaceful Valley area (North of Ward by a few miles); there are 4 or 5 trails surrounding Camp Dick which are pretty interesting, and the site has a few Porto-Johns!

Back