• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thanks to all who damage our reputation!

"Kilmer was driving his 1987 Suzuki Samurai"

"The jeep rolled over in nine feet of water."

The reporter isn't too bright either. :sure:

I see crap like this all the time, sloppy editors and reporters who write a story on lousy info and then when they get better info, only halfway update it, leaving descriptions completely inaccurate.

why in gods name was he driving drunk with a 16 month old in the back. This is disgusting.... Poor kid :(

"Kilmer was driving his 1987 Suzuki Samurai"

"The jeep rolled over in nine feet of water."

The reporter isn't too bright either. :sure:

I see crap like this all the time, sloppy editors and reporters who write a story on lousy info and then when they get better info, only halfway update it, leaving descriptions completely inaccurate.
This is a minor point. People outside of our world often refer to SWB open top vehicles as jeeps (lower case) the same way people from some parts of the country will refer to any soda as a coke.

The driver should face manslaughter at the least and his passenger should be considered an accessory. Drunk drivers piss me off. :smsoap:

That water hitting his face should have sobered him up enough to realize he needed to grab his kid before swimming ashore. I wonder if this guy's related to Ted Kennedy?

why in gods name was he driving drunk with a 16 month old in the back. This is disgusting.... Poor kid :(

I saw some idiot with TWO similar aged kids mounting a dangerous obstacle, drunk, in moab a few years ago...

In addition, Jeep enthusiasts are lumped together with all-things-bad-offroad, meaning we also have extricate our reputation from the maniacal dirt bike/quad crowd and the worst of the go-fast community.

One idiot from any given community causes us all to suffer, because the media template does not involve differentiation, and safe OHV use is rarely an interesting story (except in enthusiast mags)

:flame::flame::flame::flame::flame::flame::flame::flame::flame::flame:

I have to ask, what the hell does this mean, and shouldn't there be a "purple monkey elephant" in there somewhere too?

CHP investigators said the vehicle's side doors were welded shut for off-roading purposes, which hampered efforts to get the child out.

How can it be hard to get into when there's no top on the damn truck?

How can it be hard to get into when there's no top on the damn truck?

If it was upside down, under water, and you're a drunken idiot putting your kids in harms way, it might be a little difficult to get someone out who's strapped into a carseat.

I do a lot of stupid crap, but I have no patience for morons who endanger their kids with their own stupidity. This really pisses me off, I hope they throw the book at this jackass.

If it was upside down, under water, and you're a drunken idiot putting your kids in harms way, it might be a little difficult to get someone out who's strapped into a carseat.

Take a look at the pic.... those are half-doors, with a cage roof. That should leave more than enough room. Hell, it was enough for him to get out.

I think "off-roading" gets to people in a bad sense, being that they think they are off the "legal" streets, and then, no rules exist. This is a tragic story, but a wake up call to the idiots out there. Not only are they messing up their lives, they are ruining this whole hobby for those of us that respect it. And now... the loss of a child. I mean, 9ft of water!? how far off was this guy!? I hope they throw the book at him.

Unfortunately there probably are not many of these "idiots" on here to read all this... Where I'm from, there is probably a ratio of 1:1 "good" enthusiasts and "bad" enthusiasts. It is just such a shame. It really drags us all down, cause the impression the "bad" people make, is the lasting one.

Take a look at the pic.... those are half-doors, with a cage roof. That should leave more than enough room. Hell, it was enough for him to get out.

Soft river bed could of sucked it up a bit.

One of the local socalers lives up that way in Apple Valley. He mentioned that the mojave river in that area can be shallow one day and swallow a whole truck the next. It's a river that runs through the desert, so the sandy bottom changes pretty quick I'd bet. There was also a spot on this story on one of the local news stations, and the Officer they interviewed said the area is already off limits, it's down a long dirt trail and it is blocked with a gate. they had a video of the extraction and it looks like the carseat was on the right side, and the zuki went over onto that side and partially onto the roof. it was also completely under water from the looks of it, if anything was sticking up when they started it couldnt have been more than half of the rear tire, that's all that is sticking out of the water when they start winching on it in the news clip.

here's a link to the story and the clip of the local news spot. http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2010/09/07/toddler-dies-after-car-plunges-into-apple-valley-river/

Last edited:
yeah, all cherokee owners do, because they will fold like a taco otherwise.

Does it fix DW?

Yes. Roll the windows all the way up, then weld the doors closed from the outside. Now, you can't drive it anymore, so no more DW.

Back