• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thanks to all who damage our reputation!

Driving drunk on "private property" is the norm here in Oklahoma/Texas. I know of two places where it is encouraged. I was publicly flogged, so to speak, when I spoke up on a forum, and said that I would sue anyone who hit me or mine while drunk at an offroad park. I was actually banned from one place for it. I don't know what it is about this area, but I don't remember it being this bad in New England. Maybe we just hid it better up there.

Here in Colorado, you can get a ticket for driving drunk on your own private property.

Everytime I've gone to the Rubicon people would get poo faced and wheel little sluice in the dark. Spectators would sit along side the box and occasionally an idiot would floor it towards the rock wall bouncing up on it and sending spectators scurrying like rats.

No consideration is taken as to whether or not there are children or drunks that can't get out of the way. Not to mention the rocks are slippery at times.

I'll admit it's fun to watch idiots get drunk and beat their rigs though.

What I can't understand is how landowners even allow drinking on their property. It's a certainty that eventually someone will get hurt and since alcohol is allowed, it will be involved somehow. And even if paying customers sign a waiver at the entrance, it's not going to protect the landowner. Not to mention the fact that the offroad community has a public relations problem when it comes to irresponsibility, you'd think a smartly operated offroad park would ban alcohol. At least on the trails.

Rausch Creek and every other offroad park I've ever been to all ban alcohol while driving/wheeling, but permit it after you are done for the day.

I have only seen people drink and drive once or twice, it is frowned upon around here and something I refuse to do - I hate the idea of not being fully in control of my vehicle.

Rausch Creek and every other offroad park I've ever been to all ban alcohol while driving/wheeling, but permit it after you are done for the day.

I have only seen people drink and drive once or twice, it is frowned upon around here and something I refuse to do - I hate the idea of not being fully in control of my vehicle.

HAHAHA last time I was at Rausch there was a guy doing drunk doughnuts the first night..... cracked a couple windshields I bet.

Then the next day there was a huge group of hispanic people all jammed into 2 stock toyotas...... drinking cerveza ON THE TRAIL!

Im sure they had been drinking on the drive up to the park aswell, because they wanted to bring a stock Hyundai cross over on the trail :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Would that be the original or soft taco?

For some reason I think this would be a great way to differentiate between early/ late model Xj's!

I have no trouble with a beer on the trail. Drunk, is another story. It seems some individuals have no self control, I try to avoid those individuals.
The more we as a group set an example, and police our own ranks the better off we will be.

HAHAHA last time I was at Rausch there was a guy doing drunk doughnuts the first night..... cracked a couple windshields I bet.

Allow me to put this as succinctly as I can: XXXX that guy.

Azusa OHV area, c.2006. Watched a drunk dipshit in a brand-new Silverado flip it under exactly the same circumstances you've described. The best part? There was a child seat in the extended cab. Thank God that kid happened to be outside the truck when the flip took place.

Then the next day there was a huge group of hispanic people all jammed into 2 stock toyotas...... drinking cerveza ON THE TRAIL!

Stupid is stupid regardless of who may happen to be doing it. Hint: I've seen all tints, shades, and hues of the McDonald's recruitment poster engaging in idiot behaviour on the trail.

What it boils down to is this: we need to police our own now more than ever. Want to see trails shut down on the flimsiest of excuses? See the above. They won't even have to pull the environmental card.

Are you talking about the Azusa OHV area in So Cal casm? lots of asshattery out there - I saw a kid flip a brand new yukon denali with paper plates still on it out there. walked over to see if he was OK and he said his mom was going to kill him, he took it without her knowing while she was away for the weekend and it was only 2 weeks old :roflmao:

Are you talking about the Azusa OHV area in So Cal casm? lots of asshattery out there

Yup, that's the one. When I was living in Pasadena I used to use it as my proving ground since it was close to home and wouldn't use up too much of my AAA if I broke something as long as I could coast back down the canyon.

I saw a kid flip a brand new yukon denali with paper plates still on it out there. walked over to see if he was OK and he said his mom was going to kill him, he took it without her knowing while she was away for the weekend and it was only 2 weeks old :roflmao:

Okay, you'll appreciate this :D

Back in about late 2006 / early 2007, a friend of mine wanted to get a 4x4 of some sort. Good guy, but he'd never owned even a pickup before. We were up shooting in Burro Canyon and he asked me about my XJ. Long story short, after a bit of discussion he waz interested in the Cherokee and said he'd cover the entry fee to the OHV area in exchange for a demo.

This was at about 3.45pm; there was maybe 1.5 hours of light left up at the range, so I gave the OK and a couple of us piled on down the hill and into the OHV area. We were just sort of puttering along through the reservoir when I saw a Honda Ridgeline on the other side of the river. Figuring that if it made it over there we could, I nosed down into the water. Further downstream, in maybe 4"-6" of water, was a new-looking WK.

The spot that I chose happened to be a lot deeper than I'd expected with a very soft riverbed; thank God I was already in 4LO. The whole thing was one of those 30-second, "oh, SHIT" moments where the airbox was below the waterline and I was driving with one hand on the ignition key just in case we really did lose traction and start sucking in water - but we made it across. I won't say that I wasn't sweating at the other side, but it worked. My buddy was sold and bought an XJ a few weeks later.

We got out, checked for any non-obvious problems, breathed a sigh of relief, and wound down with smokes for a bit. That out of the way, we decided to head back the same way we came in - after all, we hadn't seen how the Ridgeline had come in and at least knew that the airbox would be above water on the way out, and while the WK was on our side of the water now, we didn't see exactly where he came across - so we set off back.

Now, here's where it gets dumb: the guy in the WK figures that since we made it across he can too. The problem is that he never made the giant mental leap that the lifted Jeep nearly ate shit on the way over, so perhaps this might not be the best route he could take in his stock WK.

Guess what happened next.

Yep, WK guy followed us on in and hydrolocked it. Hard. Some dude passing in a diesel Excursion ended up towing him out; after he made it to the other bank, his wife (in the front passenger seat) was bailing the interior out with the floormats, but that was the least of his worries at this point. He was just plain screwed. Still had the paper plates on.

We stopped to help with the recovery, though there wasn't much to do beyond tell the guy (in my non-technical Spanish) that he needed to pull the plugs, crank the engine over, and replace fluids when he got home. None of us had tools, so weren't much help there - but two guys on quads pulled up and offered the helpful advice that a) he'd killed his starter and b) that being an automatic, all he needed to do was run it up to 40 and pop it in Drive to get it started. We tried to explain to both them and him that the problem was well past that point, but nobody seemed to want to listen. At this point, we gave up and went back to the range.

I feel sorry for the guy; we could see him from the East Fork bridge a couple of hours later when we headed back down from the range. I forget the name of the towing company that brings the Deuce and a Half up there, but they were loading him up. That right there is a $400 tow twelve miles down to the bottom of the canyon.

The sheer amount of stupidity I've seen up there is just appalling. At least it keeps the tards corralled.

Unfortunately, most people aren't ballsy enough to say something about stupid behavior. Then again, it might be a little dangerous depending on who it is being stupid. Its always best to tell the front office.

Nice, haha. I've seen some real winners out there thats for sure. for a year or so we would get a group of 8 or 9 XJs and go up every other sunday. Make our own little camp away from being directly in line with ICBMs (In Coming Ballistic Morons) and watch the mayhem. There was this one water pit that was about 3" deep on one side and almost 6 feet deep on the other, perfectly round, and about 20-25 feet across. People would splash around all day long on the shallow side and eventually someone wouldn't understand that there was a reason nobody was on the other side and drive right into it, sinking immediately up to the hood or worse. We saw a K5 blazer lifted so high the bottom of the body was above the 44" boggers it had on it go in right up to the windshield :D

Unfortunately, most people aren't ballsy enough to say something about stupid behavior. Then again, it might be a little dangerous depending on who it is being stupid. Its always best to tell the front office.

You're right there. I will tell someone they are being stupid if I am in a place I feel comfortable and don't feel like they are gonna get stupid and try to fight me. If I am not comfortable I won't say it because lets face it, I'm a pussy.

Back