• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Team MAD build

Sounds sweet Matt, you know I support you. Sucks I'm going to Korea...I'd pit for you and our wife's could've hung out more.

Thanks Tyler and I know brotha. Sucky to hear about you heading to Korea but use the time and extra funds to put away for the next XJ build. And who knows we could compete together and then our wives could hang out a bunch more lol.

Not a whole lot new but we are making slight changes. Items include c-rok rear shock brace, double sheered the passenger side knuckle, replaced the transfer case linkage for the Novak Adapter cable kit. Also picked up a 14 bolt that will be slung under the rear axle. It will be fitted with artec brackets, Yukon gears and a disc brake conversion. So stay tuned for that upgrade.

1459257_569539176449943_1475344380_n.jpg

1463163_569541599783034_420340242_n.jpg

13577_569541536449707_1486585223_n.jpg

1488197_569539196449941_1551617190_n.jpg

have you run it with the rear shock setup? I have mine set similarly and I am not very happy with it.

Yes I have ran it during a pre-run to the hammers in Johnson valley. It did great at speeds. I do need different bump stops for the rear though. It also does good in the rocks giving me plenty of down travel as well as up. Im happy.

Yes I have ran it during a pre-run to the hammers in Johnson valley. It did great at speeds. I do need different bump stops for the rear though. It also does good in the rocks giving me plenty of down travel as well as up. Im happy.

I ran my XJ with the cross enterprises rear shock hoop and some FOA's.. I found it hard to get the valving right when the shocks were at such an angle. After a two years I felt I had it dialed in OK but then I noticed cracks forming in the frame rails where the shock hoop mounted. I guess the stress of the shocks being mounted at the same spot the bump stops were made it weak... I did have my shocks valved quite stiff. I eventually plated the frame rail back there but I've since changed to a totally different shock mounting setup to get the shocks much more vertical.

Might be a good idea to keep an eye on the frame back there. Especially if you take some hard hits on the bumps.

Just my .02. Take it or leave it. I'm sure you know what you're doing though from the looks of this build :) I'm jealous. Haha

Well Yukon gears, shafts, master install kit and spool came in yesterday for the 14 bolt rear end. Artec truss, pinion support/guard and perches should be in a few days. The ballistic shave kit should be in soon as well. Once those parts come in we can get burning on installing the rear axle. Just in time before we head back to the hammers for more seat time.

1460948_548894301860670_1513894986_n.jpg

Looking good. You going to get your rear hatch put back in before KOH? (or build another one?).

You won't be legal to race without it.

As long as it is hinged, opens and closes, has a primary and secondary latch, it would be legal.

That rule is one people were getting very liberal with. There were some complaints filed last year, the rules were clarified for the 2014 season, and you can bet they will be checking it. A couple of cars are having to redo their doors now.

As long as it is hinged, opens and closes, has a primary and secondary latch, it would be legal.

That rule is one people were getting very liberal with. There were some complaints filed last year, the rules were clarified for the 2014 season, and you can bet they will be checking it. A couple of cars are having to redo their doors now.

What would classify as a secondary latch? Something aftermarket?

Rulebook said:
6.2.4.3 All vehicles with operational doors must have positive locking mechanisms on the doors and doors must also have a permanently attached positive secondary latching device

A lot of rules require you to interpret them on your own; there are dozens of ways to meet this one. You can see how we did our secondary latches in our build thread.

Looking good. You going to get your rear hatch put back in before KOH? (or build another one?).

You won't be legal to race without it.

Cal- Thaks for the kind words. My jeep all started because of your guys XJ so thanks for the inspiration. As for the rules I have two conflicting issues.

1. It was my understanding that those tech'd last year and got the metal bands are grandfathered in to 14' rules...Could be a big miss understanding though.

2. I also interpreted that rule to the side passenger doors. I know there were a few cars last year that ran just full panels versus the tube doors or modified factory doors. If the rear hatch does full under that category then that's just absurd and seems very small in the things that should be identified. But again looks like I need more clarification.

The grandfathering had to do with roll cage requirements. Our rig (and I'd assume yours) would require 2" tube at our weight, but are grandfathered to be able to run the 1.75" tube that was legal in 2012.

6.3.2.2 and 6.3.2.3 may not spell out that a hatch is considered a door, but it has been discussed several times at events and in rule threads on pirate. A hatch or tailgate is still considered a door, still has to exist, open, close, and have secondary latches.

..but it can be made of tube, and since it doesn't hold people/limbs in, does not need to be skinned. Take a look at our solution, you can do something similar in a couple hours time without much expense or weight.

I know it seems vague, but please just trust me on this one. :) Doors was a big controversy last year. There was an unofficial class meeting at the awards ceremony in Arizona last year after which Dave Cole clarified then open/close thing, but didn't seem to feel it necessary to spell out exactly what a door is... but having been a hot spot with the class, you can be sure it will be looked at this year.

Cal- Thanks for the heads up as I do appreciate it even though I may not agree. Just one more thing to do. Where can I check your fix out? Also been meaning to ask you how you have your track bar bracket ("frame" side) and your poly bumps as im still tweaking that now.

For the hatch, we did a tube hatch, and skinned the edges to mount lights in.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

2 hinges on top, 2 hood pins on the bottom (primary and secondary latches).

Back