• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Taurus Tracker series revolvers

Darky

NAXJA Forum User
Tell me bout em. I was looking at a Taurus Tracker .357 revolver. It was a nice looking gun, felt good. Decent price. What's good and bad bout it?

I've heard good and bad about taurus. You can't beat the warranty, but its a blessing in disguise. People have wait 3-4 weeks to get their guns back from warranty claims because they are always so backed up. I've heard of a few people having timing issues with their revolvers. I was seriously thinking about getting a taurus, but ended up going with a better brand.

Check out taurusarmed.net

I've heard good and bad about taurus. You can't beat the warranty, but its a blessing in disguise. People have wait 3-4 weeks to get their guns back from warranty claims because they are always so backed up. I've heard of a few people having timing issues with their revolvers. I was seriously thinking about getting a taurus, but ended up going with a better brand.

Check out taurusarmed.net

I heard they have kids take them and go WOT on them. Of course, that might just be at igotanxj's shop. Watch out for shops that hire kids. :listenmus

Sorry Darky, no help for you on this topic. :(

Tell me bout em. I was looking at a Taurus Tracker .357 revolver. It was a nice looking gun, felt good. Decent price. What's good and bad bout it?

First check is to completely c0ck the revolver holding the hammer back all the way with your thumb- with the other hand try to rotate the cylinder back and forth to see how much rotational play there is.

While the hammer is held back (please triple check it's unloaded...blah blah) look down the barrel to see if the cylinder is directly in line with the barrel. You'd be surprised, I had a Colt that would shave bullets and spit the lead back at you. You may need a light to help see anything.

Next check for foreward and back play in the cylinder, both with the hammer c0cked and after it is let down.

Open the cylinder and look at the forcing cone, it directs the bullet into the barrel, sort of a funnel shape at the beginning of the barrel. You want a nicely cut cone without machining chatter or lopsided cuts. The gap between the closed cylinder and the forcing cone should be about the thickness of a buisness card and even on top and bottom. Less is kinda bad and more is really bad.

Last, pull the trigger several times in both singe and double action, I close my eyes to help notice a rough pull or sticky spots. I don't know why closing my eyes helps, but it does.

After you have done all this, try it on a S&W and immediately fall in HATE with the Taurus. If you don't do these things to the Smith you might get by just fine. I've heard that there are nice tight Taurus revolvers out there, just never seen one. The 'Raging' series is supposed to be built a bit better, but I think you'd have to go up to .44 mag to get one. Not 100% sure about that.

Have you looked at some Dan Wessons? My first revolver was a DW .357, great lockup and very accurate. Shouldn't have sold it.

I have yet to figure out exactly what I want. I'm looking for a handgun for possible carry, target shooting and home defense. I also plan on a shotgun for home defense as the main weapon, but the handgun would be nice for fun and ease of access.

The only 'cheap-o' guns that I have are Mossberg shotguns. I now have 3 (just picked another up today, don't tell Mrs. SCW). I now have a 500 (today's purchase) with an 18" and a 24" barrel, a 590 with a 20" barrel and 8 round magazine, an 835 and my only 'nice' shotty, a Baretta 391. A lot of guys prefer the 870 pumps, but I really like the controls of the Mossberg and won't switch for just that reason.

On handguns it's actually cheaper to get a good semi-auto than a good revolver anymore, I guess plastic/polymer is easier to mass produce. It's a lot tougher to tell a good auto until you shoot it. Most of the external fitting issues are irrelevant to accuracy and reliability, you pretty much have to buy based on reputation.

My wife has a 2" snubby Tarus .38. About 10 years old now, has always worked well however it very rarely get +P's in it, usually SWC's and not loaded hot either. 3-5" group at 25 feet, when I shoot it I wear a set of driving gloves to keep it from rolling, those grips are small and it can bite you when it rolls back. I like it. When she shoots it it does not roll but her hands fit it perfectly and the rubber grips work.

Get yourself a good shotgun for home defence,short barrel, as for a hand gun go military surplus,i got a CZ82 used by the Chez military complete with holster,cleaning rod and 2 12rnd clips for $240 out the door.
redeye202

I like the shotguns I've seen with the two barrels (18 and 24") like you got SCW. 18" at home, 24" for the range.

Back