• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sway bar help.. Broken nut

I reconnect mine when I get off the trail. Yes, you can drive without swaybars, ( had mine up to 110 w/o swaybars, stupid I know) The problem is when something unexpected happens, and by that time it is too late. Just saying leave them on for the street, that one time you dont could bite you in the butt

I reconnect mine when I get off the trail. Yes, you can drive without swaybars, ( had mine up to 110 w/o swaybars, stupid I know) The problem is when something unexpected happens, and by that time it is too late. Just saying leave them on for the street, that one time you dont could bite you in the butt

sometimes it may be too late, but sometimes it may not be. who knows.

Do you know how many times i've worked on cars or just crawled under someones vehicle to look at something and saw a broken swaybar endlink? It needs both to function. Nobody ever noticed anything was wrong until it was pointed out that the thing was broken. This is something that has little effect on vehicles like the XJ. How is it that people here think tkaing sway bars off is so bad but they drive around on 35's and a 5" lift and act like that won't pose a threat of disaster in a tricky situation. Think again people. What about when you can't stop because you're factory brakes aren't good enough to stop your big tires and all that armor you bolted on and your 1/4" thick plate steel bumper tears into the car in front of you? Its rediculous to focus on one little thing and say how stupid it is for me to take the sway bar off when in reality there are alot of things people do to their XJ's that are going to be just as bad for a panic situation if not worse.

Do you know how many times i've worked on cars or just crawled under someones vehicle to look at something and saw a broken swaybar endlink? It needs both to function. Nobody ever noticed anything was wrong until it was pointed out that the thing was broken. This is something that has little effect on vehicles like the XJ. How is it that people here think tkaing sway bars off is so bad but they drive around on 35's and a 5" lift and act like that won't pose a threat of disaster in a tricky situation. Think again people. What about when you can't stop because you're factory brakes aren't good enough to stop your big tires and all that armor you bolted on and your 1/4" thick plate steel bumper tears into the car in front of you? Its rediculous to focus on one little thing and say how stupid it is for me to take the sway bar off when in reality there are alot of things people do to their XJ's that are going to be just as bad for a panic situation if not worse.

you recommended for someone to take their swaybar off. period. thats bad advice. it is the operater of the vehicle to make sure that their vehicle is in the legal limits of their states safety regulations. a broken swaybar link would not pass inspection in PA.

i do beleive you make a good point about the brakes and armor, but why would you compound that with telling someone to take off the sway bar?

but again, its the owners obligation to upgrade the brakes when adding larger tires.

a broken endklink on my 89 when it was stock was very noticable. now at 4.5" it is slightly noticeable, but i can notice.

i dont know at what height the swaybar is impossible to use without getting in the way of other components, but its cheap insurance for my 89 and all i had to do was extend the links, which cost about an hour of time and $10.

just like rehberg79 found out, it was an easy fix to get his swaybar to work.

BTW, i upgraded the brakes on my 89 and regeared just to run 31's.

Back