• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

swaped in motor,having relay problem and no start condition

okay, i swapped the cps. no difference. the icm is it the coil too? i was looking through the manual 89xj gave the link to, and they are refering to the coil as(ipm) ignition power module. are we talking about the same thing? if not, where is the icm. i will go test and be back

Pretty much but not the same thing. The coil nests on top of the ICM, and is clipped to it.

The ICM has the connectors I mentioned earlier, find the three wire to the left (towards the front of the engine compartment) and test for voltage to A.

okay. i just went and tested the connector on the coil. looking at the front of the connector, i used the test light and the prong on the right( no power), prong in middle([ground]no power), prong on the left(power). when you refered to the connector were you speaking of the back or the front? if its the front i have an open in the power latch relay circuit

was the CPS new or used from the 87? if it is used get your self an oem one not a knock off they are junk, try wiggling the CPS sensor connector when someone cranks it over, and unplugging it and plugging git back in, i have a 89 with a 90 engine and it has been nothin but problems hang in there

okay. i just went and tested the connector on the coil. looking at the front of the connector, i used the test light and the prong on the right( no power), prong in middle([ground]no power), prong on the left(power). when you refered to the connector were you speaking of the back or the front? if its the front i have an open in the power latch relay circuit

Ok, sounds like you are getting voltage to the proper input of the ICM. You need to test the ground, so pull that 3-wire connector from the front connection on the ICM, hook your test light to the positive terminal on the battery and then touch the center B wire in the harness to see if the ground to the dipstick tube is good. Well, it will tell you if it isn't an open circuit, but you can't measure resistance with a light.

Back