• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Surco roof racks

I have the Surco as well bought mine from Summit racing they have the racks and Mounts mines is the 45x60 same as Jason's and i love mine.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8IaMmrhsxcuEg

I didnt use the gutter mounts i went for the rail mounts like the looks a bit better and i did mount my factory crossbars under the basket as well,have to thanks jason for that idea.

I have one of the smaller ones, I got it used for $40.
Although I would not personally trust it to hold my weight I always keep my 30" spare up there and use it to tie my 17' canoe to. I think it is very sturdy with the gutter mounts and keeps a pretty low profile. I would definitely buy a larger one if I could afford it though.

Same here, but I use the rail mounts on my '98. I've seen too many gutter mounts that booger up the drip rails, then a big rust problems occur. Living on the coast, salt air has a big impact for me, so that's why I went the rail mount method. Also, with it being an aluminum rack, I don't work about it rusting out. The paint will flake in spots, but a shot of rattle can black or a Sharpie for small nicks works fine...

I've easily placed over 250 lbs of camping related stuff on my Surco... It holds up just fine and mounts solid. Though I will admit that some of the "joints" come loose, so I just run a stainless self tapper to keep things snug where need be.

2KXJ said:
I think I might order a Surco roof rack from Summit Racing. Who all is running one of these racks? Are you happy with it? I don't want it to sit too high off the roof, so should I gutter mount or doesn't it matter? I want to put a spare on top and maybe some Hella 550's (rectangular) on the front.

Anyone suggest another rack instead of the Surco? I was also considering the Yakima Load Warrior...

http://shell.exo.com/~cal/offroad/misc/wet.jpg

40x50 surco, bought for $60 used, with $40 at 4 wheel parts for the gutter mounts. You'll see a 32" spare, 10 gallons of gas, tent, sleeping bag, collapsing picnic table, hi-lift, 5 gallon waste bucket, and two 15' two straps sitting up there. I put the jeep sideways into a tree against the rack and it held up, but did bend the mounts a bit.

If you have to go cheap, go surco.. but my next rack will be steel.. My surco is falling apart on me. Maybe I use my toys a little too hard, though.. ;)

-Cal

I also have that rack. But I got the existing roof rack rail connectors. You can search online and find the correct ones. I like them better because the gutter ones stick out a little further and like someone earlier said, they can get caught in tree brances and whatnot.

The floor of the rack sits at the same heioght of my stock 93 rails, I lieft them on there for support.

I have a Surco and you cant go wrong. Dont get the gutter mounts because you will just rip them off. I like the size but if you have a full size spare, you can get sagging on the rails but it still holds up fine. For the money its a great deal!

I picked up one from Summit also (45x60) When I went to put it on I didnt think it was long enough. So I pretty much cut the sides and made them longer (72") Then had to remake the floor and monting points. I'm not done yet still have to finish light mounts and paint it. I'll post up some pics when I get done, but the biggest thing I'll prob put up there is a cooler and some lights.

alabamaxj said:
I have a Surco and you cant go wrong. Dont get the gutter mounts because you will just rip them off. I like the size but if you have a full size spare, you can get sagging on the rails but it still holds up fine. For the money its a great deal!

Haha, I had the rail mounts to begin with, and the rack caught a branch and ripped the rails right off the top of my jeep - thats why I went to gutter mounts. They are stronger by far..

Back