• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Superwinch P8500 issue

CallMeColt

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,
I tried searching up any issues with this winch with the search option with no luck. If I am asking something that has already been answered, my apologies!

I got me Jeep about a year ago ( April 2009 ) with a Superwinch P8500 on it. Damn thing looked like it was put on a few months before I got the Jeep. Seller told me he pulled himself out with it twice.

I used the Jeep a lot for off roading last summer and into the fall. I would say I pulled a max of 15 times with it out of mud, off rocks, ect. I was always careful to make sure it did not overheat and to use it correctly by making sure I was pulling with the first layer on the drum, ect. At the end of the summer, I had my issue start.

We were pulling me up a hill because I was stuck on a rock and my wheels were just spinning (before I had lockers in). I went to spool it out with the load of my Jeep on it, and it did nothing. I just kept hitting out for like 10 mins while letting it take a break and it let go eventually. Figured I might have just pulled a little to hard or something.

A few weeks later, I had the same issue pulling out of the mud exept it was when I was going forward. I let it cool down again thinking it was the same issue. No luck. my buddy suggested it might be a solinoid and tapped the side of the motor with a rock and it started going again, but super slow. After getting the Jeep out and waiting another hour to reel in the cable again, I knew I had a problem.

Buddy told me to clean the motor up. I unbolted it, and it was dirty in there. I used some cleaner and got the gunk out and lubed it up. Without the load I tested it and it was spooling in and out well. I figured problem was solved! Then I had issues with the tranny and it was down for the count until winter.

After having tranny fixed and lockers put in over the winter, it just ened up sitting. i wanted to put it in storage, but didn't end up doing it. I been driving it around the past few weeks getting it ready for spring and when I was parked someone released the clutch and the cable was all jacked up. Took out the controller to spool it in and got about 1ft in and then it stoped. It was moving super slow too. Now it does nothing exept click when I hit in, and no noise at all for out.

Any ideas on things to try? I know all the grounds and connections are good. Superwinch troubleshooting tips said try jumping power to the motor with jumper cables. I did that and got no responce from it. Bad motor? I contected Superwinch via e-mail about warrenty but I bet since I am not original owner it will not work out. Where would I order a motor if need be?

Thanks all!

I had a similar issue with the same winch. The only thing was it that it was 40 days old and started doing that "Clicking" Noise after i did a light pull. The place i bought it from which is Canadian Tire, wouldnt not exchange it due to the fact I was 10 days past the 30 day return policy. To make it short I ended up speaking to a guy named " Jake" over at Superwinch and this guy hooked me up damn well. Trying asking for this guy and see what it gives cause he explained how to do everything to trouble shoot it and so what. At least u wont waste your money for nothing.

There is an issue on the early lp8500's. The motors weren't sealed properly and they fail. You can get a redesigned motor under warranty.
Superwinch is known for good warranty/service.

Thanks. I called them Sat. They were not open but I left a voicemail. Hopefully, they get back to be Monday and I can just drive there and get a replacment. I took the motor off today and a cup full of water came out... yuck.

I called them again on Monday, this time they were open. Ended up talking to a tech guy and he said he did listen to my message. Said without and original receipt that no warranty stuff can be done. Also said he would get back to me with a price on a new motor. Let's hope they do. I Go into surgery tomorrow for my wrist and wanted to get it fixed before then. Oh well.

Back